Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crank Won't Turn - New bearings/pistons/rings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yycyak, Jul 2, 2018.

1. yycyak

yycyak

Hi all,

So I have a problem with my current Ford 300 build: the crank won't turn. Here's where I'm currently at (head is off, just working with a bare block here):

- mic'd all the crank journals, and they all mic'd within spec;

- assembled crank bearings (dry), plastigauged them. Clearances were about .003;

- lube + reassemble everything. Torqued main bearings and rotate assembly. It mostly rotates freely - needs about two fingers of firm pressure to rotate (note: Camshaft and timing gears are installed, so might be a bit of extra resistance from this.)

- install new pistons and rings. Didn't break any rings (yay!)

- install rod bearings and caps (dry). Plastigauge bearings. Clearances show about .0008 to .0015-ish, which is within spec;

- Lube everything and reassemble. Torque to spec (40ft/lbs);

At this stage, nothing will rotate. I have a 1/2" drive ratchet on the block, and it won't move at all. If I loosen off the rod bolts a little bit, things will turn with the "usual" effort on the ratchet.

Has anyone seen this before? As far as I know, all the caps are on correctly, and the bearings are non-directional. But the last thing I want to assume is that because everything mic's/plastigauges within spec, I can just go ahead and fire things up. Not being able to turn the rotating assembly by hand is freaky.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. egads

egads

Take the rod cap's back off. Replace and torque them one at a time ,rotate crank after you do each rod cap.

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Did you dip the pistons in oil or oil the pistons and cylinder bores?

Unkl Ian likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What he said and try to go backwards to the last one you torqued before it stopped turning. (did I say that right).

Pat

5. Check the thrust clearance, and the side clearance on the rods.

zuke and moparjimd60 like this.
  6. Any chance one of the rod caps is on backwards ?

woodz, Atwater Mike, ottoman and 5 others like this.
  7. 55Green

55Green

As mentioned above. Make sure pistons/rings/bores are well oiled and then do one rod at a time till you find the issue. Could be something as simple as a rod cap on backwards or that rod could be well out of spec on the big end. Don't rule out wrong over/undersize bearings. Can always swap them to another rod to confirm before you order replacements.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You mean "on the crank", right? You would have been turning the crank while installing pistons/rods, was it getting tighter to turn as you installed them? Or did it just lock up with the last set?

9. squirrel

squirrel

I always install one piston at a time, and torque the rod nuts, then turn the crank a few revolutions, and get it in position to install the next rod/piston. If you do this, then you can see how it feels each time you add a part.

As for the rod bearings being "directional", the rods and caps are matched, the bearings have a tang, the rods and caps have notches for the tangs. The tangs and notches are supposed to be on the same side. And the rod/piston assembly should have a "front" side, although on an inline it's not as critical as on most V8s.

But yeah, take it apart, put it together slowly, see what the problem is.

reagen, big duece, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

You sure need to start again with the rods. Bearings and bores need to be lubricated. As has been said, you need to turn the crank after each rod is assembled. Bearings are directional. Rod caps are matched and directional. .0008 to .0015 may be within specs but is tighter than I'd want things.
    Pete

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ring end gap?
    What did you use for lube?

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

13. I don't see how that would be possible. Normally, one would install the crank and bearings, check the end play, torque the mains, and then spin the crank to check that step, and then turn it for each piston and rod assembly.

egads likes this.
  14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Unlikely if he was able to turn it over with two fingers of firm pressure.

Pat

studebaker46 and egads like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found out a long time ago that it is prudent to do just as Jim says he does in that install 1 piston, toque the rod bolts, rotate the crank a couple or few times, get the rod journal on the next piston to be installed at the bottom of the stroke and go again. It lets you know if you have a problem then and there.
    You keep saying that you put this that and another together "dry" did you pull the crank clear back out after you plastigauged the mains and lube all of the bearing? Did you lube both halves of the rod bearings after you plastigauged them ? Did you lube the pistons/rings before installing them as someone else asked?

16. silent rick

silent rick

i've seen tight rings do it. a friend had file fit rings and was gapping them on the tight side.

but that wouldn't explain why it will turn after loosening a few caps.

17. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

As already said go back and do one thing at a time.

If the crank was turned sometimes the journal radius will interfere with the rod & bearing chamfer

18. pitman

pitman

No rod is bent? Otherwise Jim's one at a time, and test.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a dumb question . I had a guy bring me a motor one time that he rebuilt and told me it would not turn over . I said did you use assembly lube and he looked me straight in the eye and said yes I did , both sides. He had put assembly lube on both sides of the bearings taking all the clearance out.
    Took it apart and cleaned the backside of the bearings and the caps and it turned over just like it should. You didn't do that ,did you?

20. noboD

noboD

Are you sure you didn't switch caps from one rod to another?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't think it's pistons will turn with loose rod caps. If caps on backwards it would still plastigauge ok but would be tight at the parting lines. The non-directional bearing thing makes me wonder.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  22. Hombre

Hombre

Did you protect the rod "Bolts" when you installed the rods and pistons? The only time I ever had this problem was the first time I built a motor. I didn't know that you needed to slip a protector over the rod bolts. When I installed the rods one bolt barely and I mean barely nicked the crank. There was no way to turn that crank. I pulled it apart and could not believe that little tiny nick was the problem, but it was...

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Believe it or not, I am in the process of writing up a failure analysis report of a Cat C27 (V12 diesel engine) that had spun 2 connecting rod bearings. The engine was rebuilt about 5000 hours ago (about 2.5 years). This is a short time for one of these engines. Depending on the extent of the rebuild you would hope to achieve at least 10,000 hrs. Analysis of the bearings shows that something was applied to the backs of the rod bearings, creating a tight spot on the bearings, which is evident on several of the remaining bearings. My best guess is that it is oil or assembly lube. It also could have been some kind of retaining compound, but I'm betting it was oil.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. ROD OFFSETS?
    I would double and triple check that right bank rods are in the correct orientation frontfacing/rearfacing, and that all left bank rods are also on the correct side and facing correctly.
    A simple act of putting a right bank rod on the left, or confusing front/rear facing can lock up a bearing by simply being slightly cocked.
    A simple error such as "do the stamped numbers all face the cam, or all numbers face outward?" or all face to the right? can make all the difference.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  25. squirrel

squirrel

300 six? or is it really a V8?

:)

26. you're right. I didn't notice "head" singular.
    I would still verify numbers facing right or left, just in case.
    I would also note the tiny weep-hole locations on the rod big ends.
    If there is one oil weep hole facing a different way compared to the other rods, that is a dead give away that one rod is facing wrong, or the wrong rod grabbed from the parts pile. Or a replacement rod used in the place of a bad rod in the past. Easy to overlook during hurried assembly.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  27. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I`m still trying to believe a 300-6 actually wore out and needed a re-build.

shivasdad likes this.
  28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I think sitting around for years and years is harder on those engines than running them for the same amount of time. I've found some rough ones at swap meets that I rebuilt instead of trying to clean and run.

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By torquing rods one at a time you'll figure out which one (or more) are causing the issue. When you find one that does it, loosen it back up and continue to check any remaining, as you could have a problem with more than the first rod that shows a problem.

.0008 is the absolute minimum acceptable clearance. Any error in measuring, or a rod journal slightly out of round at this minimum clearance, will cause a nasty bind.

30. Hombre

Hombre

You know guys, is this one of those post were a Poster asked a question everyone gets busy trying to figure a solution to "HIS" problem and we never hear from the cat again. I mean 30 post's and no response from him---Give me a break.

rjones35, Unkl Ian, egads and 2 others like this.