Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do they keep it so clean?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LedSled97, Jun 29, 2018.

1. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

There is ALWAYS time for the next project... but NEVER enough time to clean up well from the last one!

2. Dreaming again

IMG_0520.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. AndersF

AndersF

I seldom look a tv but i have seen some episodes of overhauling and american hotrod.
    Booth got boring quickly becouse they never showed the real work to build/restore a car.
    Allmost all dirty jobs was outsourced like mediablasting, chromework, engine and transrebuild
    ,interior and rearaxels. And those jobs newer got filmed.
    They allways worked on clean stuff and the shops had alot of space for every car.
    And nothing was stored in the shops either.So it cant be that hard to keep shop clean.

4. racer_dave

racer_dave

shop gets cleaned after a project is done. Not during. So if I'm rebuilding the racecar after a wreck those tools will be out where needed as I'm working. When its done and ready to go back on the scales the shop gets cleaned. If I'm doing the front end then when the front end is done I clean up before I go to the next big task. My shop is rarely 'clean' and rarely what I call 'messy'. Its usually a mid-place. Clean enough to work but sometimes I still can't find any one of the dozen 9/16 wrenches I own :)

5. I'm staying out of this thread!!

seb fontana likes this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Umm,,, it's tv.. not real.....

Paul likes this.
  7. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was working for someone else everything was put away and cleaned up between jobs and at the end of the day. When I had my own shop I did the same. Now that I'm just working on my own stuff that doesn't always happen. Part of the problem is I've got 10 pounds of shit in a five pound sack, hard to find a place to put everything. But I still want more tools.

8. I saw the floor in my workshop once... I think it was 1995....

seb fontana likes this.
  9. Nobey

Nobey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I can't click on the free beer!!!!!!!!

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

My shop is an organized mess... I know where most everything is anyways. I've found hanging parts up helps, and at least one good cleaning per month is necessary.
    20180703_203637.jpg 20180224_164629.jpg 20180224_171251.jpg

11. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

In the process of cleaning mine now. I'm about 3/4th done. I saved the worst bay for last.
    DSCN0926.JPG DSCN0927.JPG DSCN0928.JPG DSCN0930.JPG

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My brother was messy in his portion of the bedroom and study den, but out in the garage, he was super sanitary. When we were using the "Rumpus Room" for parts storage and doing modified motor cleaning, and adjusting, we were using an actual recreation room formerly used as a party place. It had a couch, tables and benches and cabinets along the walls. My dad’s fishing equipment and an old outboard motor had residence in one corner.

So, with that in mind, my brother always had to have canvas spread out on the floors and table tops. He wanted to not to scratch or get them dirty with oil, grease or whatever. If we were welding stuff and bits flew off, after the job, it was my responsibility to go find the strays and sweep them up off of the floor.

By the time we converted our Rumpus Room into a full fledged garage, with a big lifting garage door, it was constantly sweeping up after each drilling, grinding, welding, etc. It took more time, but the floors and table tops were immaculate. When our 283 SBC motor build started, out came the canvas tarps. Everywhere there were parts laid out and labeled, the canvas was there for cleanliness and protection.
    upload_2018-7-5_3-48-28.png "Rumpus Room" with opening windows and doors.
    From this window laden “rec room” to:
    upload_2018-7-5_3-49-30.png A working hot rod garage with lift up door.

By the time our Willys was torn apart, the 283 installed, the place was looking like a mess. But, after each installation, cutting, welding, etc, out came the broom and dustpan…(me) Our 40 Willys coupe looked bare and plain with the primer paint and black wheels. But, that motor was spic and span, in long and short block form, as was the installation area inside of the converted “Rumpus Room.”

Lots of hand cleaner, tons of rags supplied by our mom, and of course, back breaking work by the “neat and clean,” two brothers. We had a pile of old t-shirts neatly cut up into handy hand wiping rags. When our hands got too dirty, even after the hand cleaners, we were obligated to use the real garage, concrete sink and faucet to get the final stuff off. Being neat and clean in the workplace has stayed with me/wife all of these years later.

When I last visited my (late) brother in Santa Barbara back in the later 80s, his workshop for motorcycles and his car was a wreck. There were parts all over a garage work table and on the floor. His surfboards lined up against the wall looked sanitary, but the car/motorcycle stuff was over the top… I guess his 60's sanitary, cleanliness somehow got lost in the translation…

Jnaki
    As far as those TV hot rod rebuilding shows, since it is reality TV, it should be cleaned up by a separate maintenance crew. The builders/mechanics do the builds, the clean up crew comes in between takes to sweep up the shavings, and thrown away bits/pieces. The body shop is the same, those floors get dirty awfully fast and then in the next scene, it is super sanitary and clean.

The specific build sequence could take weeks, but the cutting/editing room TV experts can make it look like hours, instead of days. The clean-up crews can sometimes be seen in the backgrounds of most shows. (Also, look at the long list of people working on the sets at the end credit display.)

13. My parents cottage is a 5 car garage , with a car parked in the bay you still have about 8’ feet in front of it to work etc
    A tool room and a garden tool room.

You can’t fit a fart in that garage!
    My dad has it filled with all sorts of tools tractor etc

But , but , my 48 ford pick up is what’s fucking all the organization up !!

14. There's a big difference between a working and show shop. Mine is neat and organized, but far from clean. About the only time it's clean is when I have a garage party, which is about once a year and 2-3 full days of "cleaning". Then again I've been to garages where there were nothings but finished cars, no projects, with carpeted floors and leather recliners and cleaner than my house.

15. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

I know one thing for sure you can never have a clean table. 20180623_122924.jpg

16. Caprice89

Caprice89

Chinese proverb: a clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind.

Sent from my hand held online shouting device.

17. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

my shop right now is the attached two car garage, and it is only CLEAN-clean twice, when I finish a project, and when I start a new one. hmm, maybe thats only once.

the rest of the time its cluttered with everything I took off and need to put back on.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leaf blower....

19. Or an air gun with a long extension on it, better know around here as an air-broom...

20. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I actually use the leaf blower on a regular basis. You can blow all the dust and dirt out without having to pick stuff up....LOL

21. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

I started this thread sort of as a joke... didn’t expect so many replies, some of you guys are giving me shop envy.

22. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Before I do anything else in my garage, I am going to have to clean everything up. Every horizontal surface has shit stacked on it. Tools, parts, patterns Etc... When it gets to this point, it has to be taken care of or I do not want to work in it.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look at the stuff they work on. No rusty dirty cars come into their shops When was the last time you saw then clean any dirt off any parts