Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Standby electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY T., Jul 2, 2018.

1. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I carry a small mr gasket elec fuel pump for emergency. It’s part #12s. Had to use it yesterday. Rigged it up near manual pump and yes I know they push better than pull but it got me home. If I would mount this particular pump back by the tank and have it on a toggle switch. Would the manual pump be able to pull fuel through it when it is switched off?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a backup electric pump in addition to the stock mechanical pump on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. The mechanical works fine with the electric switched off. The electric pump is mount back by the tank.

3. rfraze

rfraze

Yes. I rigged one on a van I seldom start (one with a Quadrajet that leaks down). Prime it. Click it off.

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I did exactly that to cure an intermittent vapor lock problem. Just remember to shut off the electric pump when you are done, a crankcase full of gasoline isn't a good situation.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Not sure about a flathead but a SBC pump has no problem pulling through an electric pump back by the tank. I install one in almost every project that uses a manual pump. Great as a back-up, vaporization eliminator on a hot day but most of all great for filling the system after the machine hasn't been used in awhile. You probably save the cost of the pump in wear and tear on the starter and battery.

6. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that the idea that electric fuel pumps push better than pull is because they are almost always mounted near the gas tank. This location puts most of the fuel line under pressure when the pump is used. Vapor lock occurs in the unpressurized part of the fuel system. So, having most of the fuel line pressurized helps to better mitigate vapor lock. JWL

ClayMart, KoolKat-57 and czuch like this.
  7. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Can u do this with any elec pump?seems like I heard somewhere that you can’t do it with all types ?? I would like to use the one I have, not buy another

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use them on all of mine--mounted near the tank. When car has been sitting for a while, I give it a shot and it fires instantly. Mechanical pulls thru it just fine--has for years.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Back 40 years ago with fuel rationing and rising gas prices I told a fellow I know all one would have to do is park over top of a gas station filler on their lot. Then make a trap door in the floorboard, hose and electric pump to lower down their tank.
    The guy got the fitting tool and got free gas that way...no waiting!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

olscrounger likes this.
  10. I have one on a Caddy 390, I put it on after the original crapped itself and I needed to get mobile again quick (Try finding a 390 pump here!). I also put a push-button switch in parallel with the ignition switch to use as a primer, after it's been sitting for a while. Vapour lock problems gone too! Don't forget to hook it up through a low-oil pressure safety type switch.

11. convx4

convx4

I am in the process of installing an electric pump on one of my old cars. If it works I will doing it to my others. I wanted the pump to run every time I turned the key to the on position, but turn off on its own. Some time my blond wife drives my cars. I found this Beuler BU508TD adjustable time(2-5 sec) bosch style relay. https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relays/p_804415.h_804416 I also installed a bypass with a carter 169-1002 charter check valve from summit racing. I hard piped everything because I didn't want a bunch of the rubber failing . This hard piping was expensive and time consuming. This setup (AIRTEX E8120) from rock auto would have been cheaper. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=293414&jsn=315

low down A likes this.
  12. try blowing through it. if you can blow through it easily it will work fine. some pumps won't allow fuel to flow unless they are running.

wraymen likes this.
  13. low down A

low down A

no fuel rationing 40 years ago only false created shortages have to go back 75 years for rationing. parking over a underground storage tank and stealing gas.[we all love a thief] might work if you use your Special Deluxe XRQ-19 invisible ray gun

Randall likes this.
  14. F&J

F&J

I put a $60 Napa Facet on my 32 Ford with twin 2 barrels. If it sat for one day, I had to use that booster...but it went bad after 10 months, Napa won't take it back as I cannot find the receipt!

So... I kept running into a guy in town driving a stock 32 Plymouth...he had the same issue with dry carb, and he tried a low PSI electric as a booster, but that old style updraft carb float and needle would not stop overflowing as he primed it.

Then, his 45 year old son got a cool idea...he went to Walmart Boat department, bought a $10 squeeze unit for outboard motors, mounted it hidden just under the back bumper, and a few pumps by hand, he says it works slick. He also said the check valve inside it also keeps the gas in the main long gas line, from draining back?

I am going to try this Asap. I did find out that when I come home at normal running temps, if I leave the car to cool off, including the carbs, then put it in the garage when cold, then it starts easier the next day, but sitting for two days? No way!!...I then have to crank the heck out of it...and my original starter failed a few weeks ago! The new gas sucks! it evaporates too fast!... We can't get real gas here at any gas station, just boatyards I think.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Vane pumps like a Holley blue have a tendency to stick after setting with the new crap gas. Be sure to use the pump every now and then so when you need it . It will actually work.
    I can't tell you how many of those type of pumps I have had to take apart and free up the vanes so they will pump.

16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I beg to differ. I worked at a service station in early 70s. There was a local has war, the lowest I saw was a local station was selling regular for 19.9/gallon. Then in about 1973-4 there was a fuel shortage, gas lottery system (even-odd tag days), long gas lines at prices "soared" to about $0.75/gallon.
    I had to fill the buried tanks with regular, mid or high test sometimes. All you had to do was drop a hose down the fill pipe into tank, then electric pump into another tank.
    I'm not sure about your argument or lack of understanding?!?
    I didn't ever do it personally.
    Another thing people did was later when they installed the self service tanks you put money in people would simply photocopy a dollar and it worked. I assume you don't believe that either!
    Again...not me but thieves did it.

17. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Check your history...from NPR as example:
    (Good idea to do before posting false information)...
    "During two separate oil crises in the 1970s, Americans from coast to coast faced persistent gas shortages as the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, flexed its muscles and disrupted oil supplies.

In 1973 and again in 1979, drivers frequently faced around-the-block lines when they tried to fill up.

Drivers would go to stations before dawn or late at night, hoping to avoid the lines.

Odd-even rationing was introduced — meaning that if the last digit on your license plate was odd, you could get gas only on odd-numbered days. New Jersey and New York have just reintroduced the system."

18. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rotary type electric pumps will not allow the mechanical pump to draw through them when the electric pump is off. The pulse type will allow the mechanical pump to draw through them when off. JWL

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. I don't know if this helps others or not, but after two electric fuel pump failures in the 1970s forcing two roadside repairs (one pump was only 5 hrs old), I have been running twin electric pumps ever since.
    I use one line coming from the tank, a tee to feed two pumps, then a tee to take both outputs in one line to the carb.
    I have a switch to run one fuel pump or the other.
    If I have any failure again, instead of a roadside repair, I simply flip a switch and keep on driving.

P.S. I remember odd-even license plate number gas rationing in the early 70s and long lines running down the street to find an empty pump when it was your turn.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

20. low down A

low down A

that odd even thing was a local thing not nation wide. it limited getting gas with that vehicle to every other day locally to reduce long lines from people topping off tanks in fear of a gas shortage. a true gas rationing as was done during the war years you are given a coupon book by the federal government[nation wide] limiting the amount of gas you could buy.NOT the days you could buy as you are claiming to be rationing

21. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Apparently you enjoy arguments. I'll rephrase my post so it will be more to your liking...
    "I told a fellow I know all one would have to do is park over top of a gas station filler on their lot. Then make a trap door in the floorboard, hose and electric pump to lower down their tank.
    The guy got the fitting tool and got free gas that way...no waiting! "

Is that ok?

22. Sure on that statement? Proven, or read? Been there/ done that. Great addition with the mechanical pump when N2o is at hand. Never an issue. Only used when necessary, and never a failure with pressure flowing through when "off"......