Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting an assembled engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gavin Tittle, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

So I want to paint my motor, my plan at this one is to pull carb and accessories (water pump, fuel pump etc) mask off freeze plugs and such, mask intake, and spray. I am not in a shop and it will be a rattle can operation. Someone on here has done this before I’m sure, any tips are appreciated.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sounds to me like you already have it down. Other than you didn't mention "clean".

Spray canned.

[​IMG]

3. squirrel

squirrel

masking freeze plugs looks kind of goofy...but yeah, clean everything cleaner than you think it needs to be. If it's an iron intake, just paint it along with everything else. If it's aluminum, take it off, and clean it separately, then it will be easier to mask, too, since you can paint the engine with the intake off

Clay Belt, Deuces and knifefighter like this.
  4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

This will sound hokey, but it works great. Don't rattle can it, brush paint it using enamel with hardener. The hardener is a must.

5. robracer1

robracer1

Just painted my flathead with a brush with the engine in the car, didn't have to take a lot off, less taping and covering things plus no overspray, came out great and took very little time.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    spurgeonforge likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Use epoxy primer after you clean ,clean ,clean the motor. Try a foam brush. No brush marks.
    Spayed many engines after assembly.

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

You spay them ?? I like having multiple engines around.............

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This is the first thing that I did to the first car I own. Pulled off everything and painted the motor then painted everything else. Could not get it real clean, so I rented a hoist and pulled the motor, then clean it again and repainted it. While the motor was out painted the engine bay. This action was follow up by rubbing the car out by hand with rubbing compound, waxing it several times and securing 4 each chrome reverse wheels. My old man came home from work took a look at my finish product and said, "I would really been impress if you change the belts, hoses, fuel lines, pulled the radiator had it flush, change the oil, antifreeze, and all the filters, instead of spending your money on paint. his message really hit home when I was on the side of the road on a raining night coming home from work changing the lower radiator hose----live and learn. Oh yea, I did use Chevy engine enamel, orange from a can, many cans.

LAROKE likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Use the engine enamel from Bill Hirsch. It works great..
    Easily brushes on with no brush marks. Flows out nicely. Smooth, hard surface.
    Also easily sprayed and very resistant to oil and gas. About $35 /qt.
    Also, wrap things you don't want to paint with aluminum foil.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    31Dodger, Deuces, dan c and 1 other person like this.
  10. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Eastwood makes engine enamels that brush on (you buy the hardener separate), come in many colors, and don't flake or turn colors. I have brushed them on several times, and it flows together without brush marks. The spray paint is thinner, and won't last near as long as this, thick brush on enamel. The only thing I have found that will discolor it, is coolant. I have brushed it on everything and it has never worn off (even on brake parts, aluminum intakes, trans. cases, etc.).

11. I used rattle cans to paint the 327 in my old deuce pickup,it was a fresh rebuild and clean as a pin.

Everything that wasn't chrome got a couple coats of red and I never had any problems with the paint. HRP

[​IMG]

12. Clean the engine as much as possible. My last step is to use brake cleaner to remove any remaining grease or residue.

Clay Belt, Deuces, robracer1 and 2 others like this.
  13. I also cleaned and painted the engine that I used in the Ranch Wagon after I pulled it from the Mustang.

I used easy off oven cleaner and was amazed at how well it worked. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Smoke4570

Smoke4570

I've used Bill Hirsch paint before, top notch stuff. Brushed on easily to cast surfaces. Stamped sheet metal like valve covers I had some trouble with. Probably would have been better spraying those. Overall happy as it was my first try.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

How does the Bill Hirsch rattle can paint match up to their brush-on / regular spray paint?

- EM

16. I just brushed this one. Much less messy in my opinion. image.jpeg

BoilermakerDave and Deuces like this.
  17. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Well damn guys thanks! I’m building the motor for my senior project, it’s fresh out of the assembly room (shop owner was nice enough to let me build it myself in his machine shop) it is a rush job to get it done in time for the school presentation, so it’s ugly, and I would like to make it all one color afterwords

Clay Belt and cactus1 like this.
  18. Be sure to post some pics when you're finished.

19. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

20. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Sorry folks, still haven’t painted the thing, shouldn’t be long

21. southerncad

southerncad

OK, just to add to the confusion, I have used Rustoleum on many engines, and it brushes on great, although it might not come in the color you want.

22. I did this in my driveway - Old Ford Red from O’Reilly. Came out pretty good. 77D744AB-D72A-4DB0-AC29-7427852E1428.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  23. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I brush painted a new black crate motor orange with POR 15 engine paint. It's nasty smelling shit but after 5 coats that motor looked so good you would think the whole thing had been dipped in paint. Looked like new still 3 years down the road.

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, I have a question on painting an engine. I get the idea of clean, clean, and then clean some more. But do you remove the old paint first? Does Easy Off, or brake cleaner remove the old paint at all? If you need to remove the old paint what do you use to remove it?

I guess technically that was actually three questions...:rolleyes:

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If I don't have access to a hot tank, I generally go old school. Knotted Wire Cup wheels mounted on my angle grinder. Quickly penetrates through paint and takes rust and sludge off as well. I keep a couple of different sizes and shapes around for getting into tough nooks and crannies. I am not a fan of chemicals, I have had to many bad experiences with residue coming back to ruin the paint. Make sure all the ports are plugged so debris can't get inside the engine, and wear eye protection. Those little bits of twisted wire do break off as they wear down and will fly everywhere.

[​IMG]

26. atch

atch

...and the pix are where???

X2 on the eye protection. I always have to spend a minute or two picking the wires out of my tee shirt after wire wheeling.

egads likes this.
  27. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

sorry ... not hamb friendly

28. atch

atch

Oh; too bad.