Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedometer GPS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Drifter, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Question: Anyone running a GPS Speedometer setup? If so, where did you stick the sender? Will it work under fiberglass panels?

moparjimd60 likes this.
  2. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I ran one in a glass A roadster worked fine. Got one in a steel 32 pickup now, sometimes it takes a while to start working.Sender behind dashboard in both vehicles. I think it always fired up quicker in the glass car

moparjimd60 likes this.
  3. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Like Junkyardgenius said . I have a steel body. mounted unit behind the dash. Works ok.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have mine in a deuce 5 window mounted on the back of the rear view mirror. Fires right up.

Hnstray and olscrounger like this.

5. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Ok thanks guys!!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a built in unit but run my plug in Gps aka Broomhilda so named by the family in my OT truck with the broken speedometer as a speedometer a lot of the time. Takes a few seconds to gather the satellites but sure works nice. At least until I decide to replace the speedometer or upper cable to solve the cable twisting off problem. Can't beat the accuracy though.

7. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Hey now, thinking the Intellitronix shop was closed, I sent an e-mail expecting a Monday reply, however I got one today. According to them, it can be placed under the cowling or in the roof top or anywhere subject to a direct line of sight thru the fiberglass. Same thing applies to metal bodies. They just don't want it to be tucked in extremely hidden places or where insulation would hinder the signal. So there we go! Pass the information along!

Thanks

Jon

8. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I had one in my F1 right on top of dash. It started up just fine after I read the instructions. They said to have it wired hot all the time. So when I started down the road my speedometer was immediately registering. Didn't draw enough power worry about. Just like with a regular GPS, when you turn it on, it has to find the satellites. I have left my regular GPS on unintentionally in my 57 Chevy for over a week and didn't have any problems starting.

9. atch

atch

I'm glad you folks have had good luck with them. I was too chicken to try one in Clarence so my S-W wings gauge set is on order with the electronic speedo run off of a sender plugged into the trans. Maybe it would have worked with all that steel around but I'll never know. I'll plug the Garmin in occasionally just to check the calibration.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I like my Garmin for a speedometer. It also knows what the speed limit is.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the WAZE app on my cell phone. Super simple & accurate.

hrm2k and bob b. like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have a Speedhut GPS unit in my 29 P.U. works great, the magnetic sender mounted on lower lip of Windshield frame
    IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

hrm2k and AHotRod like this.
  14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a way to keep your original 1932 or what ever cable drive speedometer , and have it driven by a GPS powered stepper motor , very cool device.
    Rusty is a great guy to deal with plus he is an Alliance vendor.
    http://www.speedoservice.com/

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

16. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

cell phone here free ap

TagMan and flynbrian48 like this.
  17. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Sounds like a good Excuse when pulled by the Poe Poe, Hey I was Checking my Speedo...............

18. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Glad this thread was posted. I was wondering how well these worked.

20. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

Here is an up-date on the Intellitronix GPS / Speedometer install. Uh huh! After going bonkers playing email tag, I got thru via landline. The tech had me pull the modem and remove the clear cap. Had to check if the antennae was wired properly. It was and now they are sending me another replacement unit. The issue was when it wasn't running, everything was working but upon firing the engine, only the red light indication that it was powered on was on. It has three lights, red for power, yellow for searching for a satellite and green indicating its connected. I even had the antennae sitting on top of the roof and it still did the same thing. Didn't matter if it was in the garage or sitting outside.

I ended up rewiring the electronic speedo, finally located the proper install instructions from Classics Instruments archives. (Quite a bit of searching, like 2 hours! ) It now reads 60 mph at an indicated 60 on my cell phone GPS app. That was a real pain pulling the dash time after time but its done. Now when the GPS gets here, I could install it and simply unplug the other. We'll see. I think the GPS would be great for an unusual engine/tranny setup where the speedo drive would be extremely expensive to rectify. But being hot rodders, all things can be a challenge of sorts? Just as a side note to "55 Gasser", there isn't anything that is independently wired on my ride. Everything goes thru the ignition switch. When I can figure out where to put a battery shut-off, it will get one of those also. So, thanks for all the input and keep on trucking!

Jon & Ollie
    Purveyors of Fine Texas Snake Oils

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I know this is simple,but back in the late 1950s,my speed-O didn't work,so I just put a alum ring about 1/2in. wide around the tach face,marked speed in high gear/to RPM,every 10 mph. Did it then by match to reg stock car pacing me,called out speed an I'd mark rpm. That worked fine for a number of years. Later I did make a custom speed-O cable an got that working. So removed the ring on tach.

chargin03 likes this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would need four tachs, one for each gear. :rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

1949caddy,I did get a LOL out of that