Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My first irresistible "Field Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Good point. The top will remain intact, the only change may be the full 3 piece rear window if one shows up. If not, it'll be just as old Harold built it.
    Not much actual "progress" on the Victchero, I'm still chugging along on my '33 pu, but the parts gathering has continued.
    I went down and brought back my '56 322 Buick from L.A. I'm hoping to get my Chevy 3 spd/OD back from my buddy, bolt up the adapter and stuff and do a fit check as PistnBroke suggested a while back. Of course, I no sooner got the little Buick apart for inspection when a pal called me with a phone number of a guy with a nailhead TH400 that would fit the bigger 401 Buick I have. So they are neck-n-neck. If the little Buick needs a complete rebuild I may lean towards the bigger one (though the 3 spd stick fits the old hot rod/custom "feel" of the car better)
    While the outer panels of the parts car are pretty good, pulling up the carpet revealed - the ground. Yeah, the floors are pretty bad but I can fab up new floors easy enough. I still got lots of other good stuff from it.

2. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

3. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I just ran across this thread and thought I’d show my current project. I think your Vickie roof has real class. Adding some sort of traditional looking back glass is the way to finish off the roof. I used a 53 F1 rear roof section. Good luck.

7D991925-EBE8-437C-92F2-50A807161C40.jpeg 3D673566-4375-453D-8EB8-DDC788DC89BE.jpeg 60DA2C1A-A136-4BAC-BB43-7C5438ADD937.jpeg

4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Nicely proportioned Jake, I like it. Are you planning on a functional tail gate?

loudbang likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very nice Jake. What did you use for the tops of the bed?
    My pickup is on hold while I finish up some other projects to make room in the shop, I've gathered more parts though.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you.

Yes the tailgate will be functional. Since this pic I have mounted some stainless hinges that are in the bottom seam. Tried building some hidden hinges but they ended up in the scrap pile.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  7. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you.

The bed rails are from a Ford Ranger 7’ box. The ‘49 is chopped 4” to match up with the pu rear window and the rear cab was chopped 3” to match up the roofs. Kept the rear window original size.

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks great - do you have a build thread on it?

9. its coming along nicely

loudbang likes this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

While taking some friends on a wine tasting tour near Murphys, Ca we ran across this old beast. That wrap-around rear bumper really wraps around. Seems like these home brewed pickups were very popular in central California back in the day.
    Didn't drink enough wine to make me go back and buy it though ......
    InMurphys (1).JPG InMurphys (2).JPG InMurphys (3).JPG

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

From the look of the "patina" it looks like you used a chunk of the old trunk lid for the tailgate. Several of the others I've seen did the same. Post some more pictures as you work out the tailgate. Did you consider using the original trunk hinges on the outside? I've seen a couple done like that and it looks like it came from the factory that way.
    That's gonna be a very cool truck.

12. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks.

No. I’ve thought about it a couple times and have yet to do it. Maybe I’ll start one tonite while on the iPad.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  13. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thank you.

Yes, I started with the lower section of the deck lid, but didn’t like the “bulge “ it had in the upper middle. So I used the lower inner and the skin from the upper turned upside down to end up with what I have. I don’t have the 49 hinges, (missing) but have 50 hinges, but using them lowers the pivot so it’ll hit the bumper. I’m trying to build this cheap, but good.

I better start a build thread since there’s interest. I don’t want to screw up your thread. I’ll post on here when I get it started.

14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

15. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

any updates or are you still working on
    Any updates or are you still working the '33?

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Would love to know if there's been any progress on this.

bchctybob and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

@bchctybob You’re being paged;)

I too have wondered about this as well.

bchctybob likes this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m here.
    Sorry to say (or happy to say, depending upon your point of view) that it found a new home. After I gathered a bunch of parts one of my buddies decided that he wanted it and we struck a deal. He left it here at my place so long that I almost started to work on it myself! He was moving and building a new shop. Now that he’s completed the new shop I think he’s finally in a position to move forward with it. He’s a long time central California hot rodder and a master rust repair and body guy so it’s in good hands.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Maybe if you just took the vent window out that would make the window opening longer. I think that it would look best if the roof was a little longer towards the back of the vehicle. I feel that if you keep screwing around with it, you will have something, sooner or later. Don't quit.

bchctybob likes this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my brother bought this Lincoln. he has it sitting in his "scrap pile" on his property in Sheepranch.

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Even if it just sits on your brother’s property, at least it didn’t go for scrap. When I heard my neighbor talking about clearing out a property and scrapping the old cars and trailers that were there I just had to go look. That’s how I ended up with this old custom Ford pickup. In hindsight I probably lost with respect to money and time but I feel good about saving a neat old car from the crusher.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my brother has 5 acres, he is always rescuing some old relic. Cars, trucks, campers, oddball home made trailers 100 year old machinery and wheels., all sorts of stuff. eventually someone will show up and buy the Lincoln from him, and have it sit on their property.

if money and time were an issue, I think we would hall be doing something else besides old cars

bchctybob likes this.
  23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Any chance he'll build it as a traditional kustom? If so, I'd love to see him start a thread and share the link here!

If he's changing it to a non-traditional build style, I'd still appreciate a link to the build thread if he posts it somewhere else.

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

He's not a big computer guy but he may come around with a little help from his friends. :rolleyes:
    He is big on the history of cars from central Ca, he was already trying to trace some history on it so I'm positive that he will keep it correct to it's '58-60 build period.