Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who taught you to drive and what was the car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 29, 2018.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Thought myself, dad taught me rules of the road. Took road test in a 60 Dodge Dart. Three speed, no PS, pb.

2. My dad thinks he taught me to drive in his 67 Pontiac Bonneville convertable. But I had already taught myself to drive, in my grandads old 1950 studeabaker farm truck. It was so beat up, that no one could tell when I hit stuff with it. So trees made for good breaks.:rolleyes: lol But I did take my driving test, and get my driver's permit in the Pontiac. I would'nt let dad get rid of it, and I still have it. ;)

3. On my Moms lap in a 54 Studebaker 6 cylinder 3 on the tree

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I was never taught how to drive instead I "saw" how to drive.
    I learned all I needed to know, perched on the rear arm rest, arm out the window, observing Mom and Dad drive our 36 Dodge.
    I "drove" in the driveway whenever allowed before I was old enough for a license.
    After dumping the clutch at the street, much to the dismay of the neighbors, I could short shift into "high" before quickly braking to a stop at the garage door.
    In my mind there was always time enough during the "drive" to pick up "all" my friends of course.
    Sharpened my reversing skills to boot.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Mom had a 62 Buick Skylark, when I was four years old, back in 1965. One summer afternoon, I jumped in and decided I was in the Indy 500. She always made a point to use the emergency brake, but it must have needed adjusting, at least on that particular day. Anyhow, I pulled it out of Park, and down the driveway it went, backwards (hillbilly). It built up a little speed going down the driveway, so I bailed out, and it went out into the street, backing into a 1961 Plymouth that belonged to a carpenter who was building a house across the street. My first drive didn't last a hundred feet. Dad had the damage repaired, and had the whole car repainted. We had that car for a few years after that, and my brother did the exact same thing 5 years later, at the age of 4, in that same car. I need to remind him his first drive didn't break the hundred foot mark either. Mom traded that Buick in on a new VW in '71, and other than moving stuff around in the driveway, or Grandma and Grandpa's farm, that VW is what I learned to drive in, with careful advising from my Mom.

6. mlake01

mlake01

My Dad - in his ‘52 Chevy pickup - which I still have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. At like 4/5 years old I would sit in my dads lap and grip the wheel of his S10 work truck. I actually learned to drive with both my dad and grandfather. On weekends would go with my dad in the family trailblazer and then during the week I would do all the driving for my grandparents. Took my test in a 99 Silverado V6 auto. I learned to drive a manual car in my 68 Camaro that we restored to be my first car.

8. '41 chevy pickup....216/4 speed non syncro. I can drive anything now.
    Took my driver's test in my dad's new 64 ranchero....260/4 speed. After driving that 41 chevy truck, the ranchero was a snap to drive!

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Learned in my Dad's purchased-new black '55 Chevy 2 door hardtop Belair. 235/3 speed with overdrive.

He gave me the car when I turned 16 and I didn't appreciate it, I wanted a '66 Chevy van! what a frickin IDIOT I was.

10. WiseRestorations

WiseRestorations

My dad taught me how to in 69 impala. Malibu cruiser. 350/350 probably 14 or so. His work had a gravel parking lot that went all the way around the shop. Once i learned the basics wasnt long till i was turning the corners with the wheels pointed the opposite way

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. tharrison57

tharrison57

Dad, first. '64 Nova wagon 283 Powerglide when I was 12 . 2nd, my cousin in Grandpa's '50 GMC 1/2 ton shortbed, 228 , 4 speed. This one I still have .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. PugetDude

PugetDude

Learned to drive in a 67 Ford F100 6 banger w/3 on the tree; close family friend taught me when I was 15.
    Took my drivers test at 16 in Mom's 62 Buick Invicta.
    First car was a 68 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door Hardtop with a 390.

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad taught me how to run the lawn mower first... It was a John Deere 110. Then go-karts, then my first real car to learn to drive was his '56 Ford F-100 with a 3 on the tree all the way back in '02! I'm a young fart.

14. shoebox13

shoebox13

I was 11, Grandpa taught me in a '67 1-ton flatbed Chevy, Navy Blue and White, inline 6 with a 3 on the floor. On his farm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Out on the farm I learned to drive in a 1959 chevy 2 ton grain truck... 4 speed manual with 2 speed rear axle... I was 8...haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tractorguy likes this.
  16. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

17. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

In 1976, I learned to drive my Grandpa's 64 Rambler American with the 3 on the tree. Today, I call the 3 on the tree my 46 Coupe and 55 F100 the anti theft device. LOL!

olscrounger likes this.
  18. albertaboy

albertaboy

Dad. 1957 Chevrolet 3/4ton. 4 speed. In the beginning, I wasn't strong enough to throw the shifter so Dad would say "clutch" and I would send the pedal to the floor and he would change the gear. Haha. I might have been 9 or 10. On the farm in the wide open hay field.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

tractorguy and olscrounger like this.
  19. My Dad in 1989 with a 1982 VW Golf.:p

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I remember sitting back, on a bench seat, while riding passenger, I could hardly wait til my legs/knees got long enough to reach over the edge of the seat so I could drive:D:D:D

21. 55 DeSoto with mom, and 56 F100 big window with my dad. Plus, a lot of going back and forth on the driveway by myself.

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D My Dad.Age 12.1949 Chevy Suburban.Three ona tree,6cyl.Put a lot of miles on that beast over the years.That was in 1957.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  23. Driver's Training car was a '63 Biscayne- six/stick- but I actually learned to drive on a Ford tractor at my Uncle's farm when I was 11-

24. kursplat

kursplat

dad and mom. dad's was a 70' 240z and mom's was a 69 GTO.

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Dad taught me to drive. Deserted campground in South Dakota while on vacation around 1971. First car driven was a 1969 AMC Rebel. Would also become my first car when I turned 16. Bought it from the folks and they bought a new car. Dad then taught me to drive a clutch in his 1966 international 3/4 ton pickup. That thing had a 1/4 mile long shift pattern and was completely worn out. I remember asking dad what would happen if I went from 2nd to 1st instead of 3rd. The shifter was a complete mystery to me and the pattern never seemed to be in the same place twice. Dad told me there was no way it would go into first and I didn't need to worry about it. He was wrong. After he pealed himself off the dash and windshield, he admitted he didn't think that was possible and laughed about it all the way home. Never lived that down....
    SPark

26. squirrel

squirrel

this thing, they let me drive up and down the 1/4 mile long dirt driveway when I was 14. Then when I got my permit, I got to drive the "late model" 1967 wagon, too.

64volvo1977.jpg

j hansen likes this.
  27. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont recall exactly being taught. In South Dakota I was put to work loading wheat trucks and driving to edge of field. Later about 13 a farmer wanted me to haul hay. I told him I wanted to work but too young to drive so had no way to get to farm. He told me to walk over to his fathers and drive his 50 Ford out to farm and return it each night. It had a merc flathead and I kept my knee in carburetor. Thats why I have a flatty now.

28. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

My mother's 1954 Plymouth Belvedere convertible she had from 1956 to 1965. At 12 year's old I was aloud to drive it as long as I washed & waxed it once a week. IMG_20171028_064809192.jpg

29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I learned on Dads old 9N "red belly" Ford tractor. I was never allowed to drive his cars but there was a big junkyard about half a mile down the dirt road from the house.I started playing around there when I was about 9. Got pretty friendly with the old guy that owned it and we used to drive all through there in the yard wrecker and anything else we could get to run.

30. Jibs

Jibs

My Dad taught me on his 1955 Flat fender Jeep pickup with a 283 Chevy in it, that was a fun ride. Took my test in my Dads new 1963 Buick Riviera.