Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pulley Rubbing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SkyGod, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Terrible80

Terrible80

2. oldolds

oldolds

If it did not hit before I would want to find out what change to make it hit first. If the engine dropped you should get it back to where it was. If the biscuits squashed that is easy enough to take care of, either by new ones (which will squash again) or as others have said space them up. If the metal moved you have another problem that needs to be addressed. After those are checked out, then I might change the suspension parts.
    You need to fix what changed first.

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  3. just lower the tie rod down a bit and put it through that hole in the wishbone... looks like they were made to go together...:D

seriously though, i am in the "swap the motor mounts" camp
    if it was fine before and now the engine is "lower" or the suspension/steering is "higher" i would
    start with the soft bits that may have worn or "compressed" or "settled".
    how are the bushings in the spring shackles? Have you jacked it up and moved the tires up and down looking for play or clunks?
    Chappy

4. SkyGod

SkyGod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

The shackles look good. I’m really hoping the engine mounts fix it but I think my future holds a visit with my leaf spring

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. HiHelix

HiHelix

In addition I would like to open for discussion lowering the tail shaft of the transmission . The amount that would be needed in addition to the motor mounts hopefully isn't to much that would affect u joint performance.... Just adding 2 cents... blah blah blah...

oldolds likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Do you have any measurements of ride height when the car was built? That would let you know if it was a spring settling issue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I would replace the motor mounts and add a couple of fender washers on top of the biscuits. It doesn't look like you need to lift the motor very much.

SkyGod likes this.
  8. SkyGod

SkyGod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

That’s what I’m hoping

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Since there are already obviously thick spacers between the heim ends and the steering arms (probably to get the tie rod high enough to go over the wishbones); maybe just take it apart and see if by putting everything on the bottom of the steering arms it will allow the tie rod to pass under the wishbones.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scroll down: https://www.droppedaxles.com/ford-dropped-axle

11. I probably should read everything said again being you may have already covered this. Just lifting the Motor with a few washers and fresh rubber mounts may cure the Contact you have currently. However, a good bump in the Road and you very well may make contact again as the Axle reacts to the bump in the road. I'd still limit the total up movement of the Axle to what ever space you end up getting while sitting static in the drive way. A short rubber bump stop mounted to the bottom of the Frame rail right over the leaf spring will do that.
    The Wizzard

SkyGod likes this.