Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What kind of heartache will this bring me?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dadn5kids, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Edelbrock heads on an 8BA in a '35 mordor. Most old timer books say not to expect much difference in a sedan. Do your slingshot, dual exhausts with Smithies and enjoy. If you're going to change heads, use an impact wrench to get the nuts of. Wrenching/racheting will help to snap the studs. Read that, done that too.

2. Dadn5kids

Dadn5kids

Thanks for everyone's input. I had a deal fall into my lap this morning - unturned 4" Mercury crank, stock bore block and flywheel for $500. So, I'm going to swap the manifold and carbs, run the long block as is, so at least I get something out of it, and then build up a new motor with all the goodies on it. I'll post some pics as I go along.

Dadn5kids

3. clem

clem

Good outcome!
    When you do pull the original studs out on the first motor, perhaps use something like gibbs brand lubricant to soak around the studs , after the heads are removed and before removing studs. Might help.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Mart

Mart

I was going to say leave it alone. Those old Ford V8s just beg to be thrashed to within an inch of their lives. Even in stock form they go really well - as long as they are running right on the money. Save the mods for the "built" engine.
    How many other 70 or 80 year old cars just beg you to plant the pedal to the metal at any opportunity? Maybe it's just me, I baby my old V8s around but when I do plant my foot in it I can't keep it out. It's addictive.

Mart.

5. flatout51

flatout51

That's a good deal but I bet once you get it running with the current flathead you'll never change it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I'm with flatout51 .think it will run good enough to satisfy .Nice looking sedan ,enjoy ! what's all the buzz about

7. Good advice, the trick is finding a decent usable core, but they are out there.

8. Terrible80

Terrible80

Not only that it might be in another project!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Before you do anything with that new block have it pressure checked for cracks.

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I thought this was supposed to be a group of hot rodders? Fuck those stock heads, you have everything you need to swap them. If something breaks, than fix it. If you see a crack in the block be grateful you found it now rather than not knowing and possibly further damaging the block.

11. Torque the heads, cold, run it torque them with the engine just warmed up, drive it like crazy. keep an overhead in the wings, you gona need it eventually. JW