Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Water Pump for '54 Ford 239 Y-Block

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LIVFRD, Jun 28, 2018.

1. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Has anyone successfully located a replacement water pump for a Ford 239 Y-Block? Looking for something new, preferably not eBay.

Thanks!

2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Rock Auto shows 2 brands, both in the 60 dollar range.

LIVFRD likes this.
  3. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Thanks for the lead, sadly the Rock Auto ones look to be mislabeled. What I've been able to figure out is that the water pump I need (for a '54 F100) was a one-off. With this being the first year of the Y-Block, it was a new design for the water pump and they changed it by '55. The impeller spins in reverse and is a little smaller than later years, I think.

4. I got one at Napa a few years ago? Never heard of them being one off?

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 239/256 motors used a different timing cover with a smaller water pump. They were first year only, but I don’t remember them turning in reverse. If no one has a lead, try the Ford Barn or Yblock forever.

LIVFRD likes this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Our member HOT ROD PRIMER is a long time member of 1954ford.com you might want to message him for leads.

LIVFRD likes this.
  7. Mac VP

Mac VP

The 1954 Y-blocks used a different pump than the 55-63 variety.......smaller impeller diameter primarily. The next thing to consider is that the truck pumps had a unique fan mount cast into the pump body (at the top). So, the 54 truck pump is definitely a one year item.

Unless you can find a pump on an auction site, or a rebuild kit for it, you’ll probably have to try to get it rebuilt by someone like Skip Haney in Florida. He specializes in pump rebuilding. You should contact him to make sure he can handle it.

We still have a couple rebuilt 1954 car pumps left but they won’t do you any good if you’ve got a truck to fix up.

LIVFRD likes this.
  8. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Thanks for all the tips!