Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Chevy 3100 info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Jun 27, 2018.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

was after some NOS 40 Ford fenders (all four) and the guy has a 53 3100. It has been sitting inside for many years but has a lot done. Independent front, fresh small block 350 trans 9" but is in pieces--very nice truck though-body work done 25-30 yrs ago and has sat inside since I believe. Grew up driving many of these on the ranch in the late 50's early 60's. I am not very familiar with these -only 40's Kinda interested-it is between this and a 40 pickup I am looking at. Any advice welcome-Also wanted the rear 40 fenders but can only buy as a full set-repops are $750 range-no idea on the NOS ones but may just have to buy the full set. I did work for him on a couple of woodies, a coupe and a sedan delivery. THX Olscounger

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

Check the cab corners and floorpans

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have already--thank you--solid

4. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

3-window or 5?

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 window--frame nicely done too-I torn between this one and a 40 Ford pickup.

6. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

Original frame? S-10 swap? M-II front end?

Parts are everywhere and fairly cheap both original and re-pop. All over Craigslist and ebay. There is a good forum presence and Facebook groups as well.

I have some stuff lying around from the few I have owned.

7. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Clear title, with a vin that can be verified by a DMV inspector!!!!!

Sometimes these truck were titled and registered by engine number,

Sometimes by door post S/N

8. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

One of mine was...and the motor had been changed...and the title didn’t match the tag...there are solutions to this I have heard...

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will ck the title--orig frame with fatman front end-9" ford rear-will go over it closely THX

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

No vin number on the frame of these, they were registered by either the engine number or the body serial number.

11. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

Yup, body serial is riveted inside driver’s door jam

12. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

With your knowledge and experience with 40s , that's my choice. Maybe buy 2 then choose. Parts are readily available for the Chevy , but you seem to have parts for 40s.

13. ...VIN plates were screwed onto front door jam, not riveted.

14. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

They used screws on door post data plate up to 1950

After 1950 the door post data plates were riveted .

The type of screw used depended on assembly plant. Most of the screws were clutch head. Some Oakland assembly plant trucks used philips head

Main thing to consider on the truck being considered is that the number on the title can be verified on the truck.

When the truck is in parts this can be a chalenge.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gonna go look in a bit-it is between this 53 and a 40 Ford pu. The 40 is more $$ but very nice-just dated-older high dollar build but needs alot redone to suit me-dead straight-just wrong color-mint paint and body etc running gear great and low milage 327 auto ac etc etc-take apart and repaint etc. Not sure on value of each on comparison

16. ElZilchoTX

ElZilchoTX

53’s were riveted...

17. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Good luck

Let us know what you decide on

The 53 your describing is not like the ranch truck you remember driving back in the day

They are fun and a great platform

18. ,,,I stand corrected,...most of mine were 47-50's

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

went and looked-paint and body was done 20 plus years ago-new glass then too--all painted a med metallic blue (not my choice) no dents or rust bed very nice-all apart-fatman fe-(' fresh 350 and trans grill and bumpers rechromed 25 yrs ago and put in attic--vin tag in door right with pink-riveted as stock-lots of extra stuff but apart-all has been stored inside as it sits for 25 yrs--eng and trans done 3 yrs ago Have pics on my phone don't know how to get them on here may go after it

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck but gonna pass-not for me--gonna stick with 40 Fords

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go along with the stick with what you know and probably have a parts stash for. As much as I like 40 Ford pickups I would have a bit of a challenge working on one and I have no parts for one out in the sheds but have a pretty good stash of AD pieces.

On the AD Chev trucks the engine number used as the vin is pretty common but if you can get the original block along with the truck no matter what shape it is in it isn't that hard to do the "engine change update" with the title. I've seen too many guys take the old six out and haul it for scrap the first thing without doing their homework and then have a vin hassle when it comes inspection time. I'd imagine that applies to other brands in the states that used engine numbers as vin numbers though.