Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. Back on Jan. 30th, I made a commitment to have a rolling chassis by June 20 which just happens to be my birthday. Well here is what I did today....... I guess I will have to come up with another date for the next goal...seems to work for me....

June 20-1.jpg

2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Happy Birthday Ron! I'd give anything to be where you are now with your '32!

Hapydz and loudbang like this.
  3. 26 06 2018 B.jpg I will get back to you soon Mike regarding your frame question.
    We made another "Hot Rod Parts Run" yesterday into Mn to pick up a starter for the '32 from Rydens Boarder Store. Went on as usual to our favorite town, Grand Marais and had lunch before checking out the Thrift Stores..... Joan really enjoys doing this so we both have a bit of fun. It has to be one of our favorite days as the scenery is out of this world . It is always a bonus to see the wild life making its way to a feeding spot which is always on the other side of the road,,,,,,lol. I took this photo yesterday while Joan was in one of the shops located on Hwy 61 which runs right through the middle of town.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  4. Ron. Happy belated birthday. Chassis looking good. Thanks again for arranging accommodations with Dick,
    for David. I think it's been working out good .

31chevymike, loudbang and Hapydz like this.
  5. Too hot yesterday ...Good day for dreaming.......
    15 Agin Best.jpg

6. 1932 Ford Assembly Line.jpg This photo has inspired me with regards to my next goal . I hope to have the engine in the 32 fired up with the firewall in place by December 25 of this year.

7. Can't get over this build is still dragging out.... but it looks great to date.

8. Dragging Out......I thought it was progressing at Light Speed. This one only took 16 years to build.... T Jag Diff.jpg T coupe 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    chevrod, PONTNAK123, BradinNC and 6 others like this.
  9. Mike; I just checked mine and it looks as you described yours bowing outwards near the tips. I can't say mine are right as there has been some rough times for this part of the old girl. I think that when I add the front fenders, they might have to be tweaked a bit to suit them. Sorry I can't be of more help ( just yet).

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  10. American Autowire.jpg Recently attended a show in Grand Rapids Mn. It is always a great time even when I don't take a car. I had Curt from Curt's Hot Rod Shop in Mn , order me up a wiring package 4 the '32 and had it sent to Ryden's Border Store so that I pick it up on the way back to Canada. This way I don't get nicked for the duty/sale tax coming back into Canada. Anyway, I'm focusing on getting the dash/firewall all set up for the next goal of lighting up the Vortec by the end of the year.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  11. When the '32 found its way back home, she was missing the dash insert. Have been trying to make the dash complete recently and I think the old girl will be happy with the way she is going to look........ 32 Dash Insert.jpg

12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You certainly can't go wrong with Stewart Warner gauges! Are these the originals that were planned to be installed? I still have my original Stewart Warners in my '31, except for a replacement water temp. Love 'em!

13. Beautiful. Where will you put your amp. and fuel gauges?

Hapydz and 31chevymike like this.
  14. I will either make or buy a small under the dash bracket that will be centered or to the left side of the wheel.....unless I see or get a better idea.....photos are always welcome....Thanks

31chevymike likes this.
  15. Here's what I did in mine. Amp and fuel in oval , oil pres. and temp. in kick panel. sedan -Chevy 020.JPG

16. Great idea !!!! Love the '40 wheel.....Thanks for posting !

31chevymike likes this.
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I just had to ask you Ron, because of the fact that I never really noticed the true design of the '32 Ford front frame horn up close. So the repros really reflect this! This will give the custom tubular nerf bar that I plan to have made that extra nice touch of detail! No apologies necessary sir and appreciate your answer greatly!

18. I turned the heat on in the shop the other day in anticipation of the building season aka.... winter. I lifted the body off the frame placed it on it's dolly and put it outside , covered it up and placed it under the roof overhang. The chassis will get ready for the finished welding and get cleaned up for paint. We still will be making parts runs into Minn. during the winter and I will keep taking photos of this beautiful little road trip. I do have a United Pacific panel for under the trunk lid to pick up next week. It sure is a great time to be building a '32 Ford Coupe !!!!

19. Made a few more "Hot Rod Parts Runs" recently to pick up the missing '32 body parts that United Pacific are now making available. These parts sure do look great and are in my opinion, reasonably priced. Thank you United Pacific ! I now have the last of the body parts, that were missing, on its way to Ryden's Border Store . I have started cleaning up the bare frame which will then be finished welding of the boxing plates etc. Looking forward to the painting of the frame... As I was stripping the black paint I got down to the red paint that I applied with a brush when I was about to turn 16, just a few short years ago....... weird !

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Imagine picking up where you left off with your frame on the original build, only this time it will be completely finished! Have you decided what type of paint to use this time around and what color? So far, so good Ron!

loudbang and Hapydz like this.
  21. 32 Col Drop.JPG Just returned from a trip to Southern Ontario visiting my son Myles and his family. Met up with an old friend and was able to get an original 32 Ford steering col. drop. A few parts missing on it but they are available on eBay and should be at Rydens Border Store soon. Another step closer......

rpm56, loudbang, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  22. Picked up the package of missing parts for the '32 col drop last week. The photo shows most of the parts that were included in the E Bay purchase. It sure would have been nice to have a drawing of how all of these parts fit but I guess all will be revealed as I get into it. I know that the 32 is not being restored 32 Col Drop Rebuild.jpg but it would be nice to have the drop functional. I have been welding on the boxing plates so we are progressing......sort of.....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    36 ROKIT, loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.
  23. Well, I hate to admit this but we are not where I expected to be on this date. I think old age has something to do with it....LOL....... I have been welding on the boxing of the frame boxing plates and that is taking a bit longer than expected.. Now that we are in the full swing of winter in Thunder Bay, the heated shop better get busy as I am not getting any younger.....I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year !!!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    rod1, Denns1989, 6inarow and 8 others like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

25. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

im glad you got your car back, but I liked it the way it was when you got it back. you could've got it running and driving and been having fun all these years ! good luck. it's looking good.

31chevymike likes this.
  26. X mas Mufflers.JPG [​IMG] My son sure knows what to get his dad for Christmas...A pair of mufflers for the '32 project.....
    Thanks, Myles !

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Happy New Year Ron - we're looking forward for more progress this winter... IF you can stand it.

loudbang likes this.
  28. First off I have to admit that I have been spending more time moving mountains of snow around than I have been out in the shop working on the '32. Now that most of the snow in the yard has melted we will start again making some Hot Rod Parts Runs into the USA. Really looking forward to getting back to the project !!!! By the way, my son, Myles and I have made a pledge to get the "Ghost Rider Roadster" to the Grand National Roadster Show, next winter. What a thrill that will be for this Old Fart !!!!

Attached Files:

29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Been a while since we've heard from you Ron - spring weather should be coming around soon, no? Any updates to give us?

loudbang likes this.
  30. Boy, it sure has been a long time since I have been here ! Sorry about that !!! Myles and I have been working on getting the little roadster to the Grand National Roadster Show later this month. The car was accepted into the show, reservations have been made, the enclosed hauler was all ready to go , hooked up to the truck in the driveway etc. All was in order then it happened..... Myles slipped a disc in his back.......Well stuff does happen....Maybe we will try for next year but maybe not.....Can't plan too far ahead when you are in your 80's …. The plus side of this is getting refocused on that '32 project out in the shop..... See you soon !

Peanut 1959, 6inarow, rpm56 and 3 others like this.