Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford roadster body build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Marchak55, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Marchak55

Marchak55

Has anyone ever built a ford roadster body from aftermarket sheetmetal panels? I’m want to build a 32 roadster thought it be cool to start collecting parts and eventually build the body if it isn’t possible

2. Buy them all at once from Brookville?

3. Stooge

Stooge

Buying a body from Brookeville or atleast starting with a ford body that needs new panels and buying said panels from the same manufacturer seems like it would be the most sensible. Start mixing and matching different company's panels to build a body seems like it could be a nightmare in acceptable tolerances from one company to the other. Plus, depending on where you live and what is required to get a car on the road, you could atleast either start with some paperwork for the already existing car or the paperwork that comes with a Brookeville Certificate of manufacture.

4. Marchak55

Marchak55

I have researched brookville bodies right now I can justify spending 12k at once for a body. I have no issues buying all the parts from Brookeville or one manufacturer just wondering if anyone has ever done it from a completely un assemble parts

5. alchemy

alchemy

Yes it has been done. Many guys have attempted it. Look at the threads by Flop, he has shown a few Brookville roadster and coupe assembly jobs. And you will see it isn't just bolting the parts together and then placing a couple welds. LOTS of fitting, cutting, bending, rewelding, and then smoothing it all out. I wouldn't recommend attempting it unless you are a metal magician.

And, there are frequently fully assembled 32 roadster Brookville bodies in the HAMB classifieds for around $10,000, not $12,000.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Sounds like a good way to end up selling enough parts to build half a 32 body on Craigslist for less than half what you paid for them to me.

Flop and brEad like this.
  7. adam401

adam401

I know this isn't what you asked but if you were building a 32 coupe you have a few more options. I see sedans for sale reasonable on occasion. They make great coupe donors.
    Buy a 4 door sedan and turn it into a 5 window with some aftermarket quarter panels and decklid and associated panels.
    Buy a 2 door sedan and build a 3 window coupe same deal. I don't think its a super cheap option but maybe something to think about if your not totally set on a roadster

8. patmanta likes this.
  9. Marchak55

Marchak55

I appreciate everybody’s advice I’m not a metal magician but I’m pretty decent with metal I just finished up at 66 bronco body which was pretty simple and straightforward and I just completed all the metal work on my 1970 Dodge charger RT wait to there’s any Mopar fans in here that was a super difficult task

patmanta likes this.
  10. You have kind of chosen one of the most expensive early ford body styles with which to start. A Model A roadster (‘28-‘31) would be more affordable/available to keep the initial costs down.

Malcolm and patmanta like this.
  11. Marchak55

Marchak55

I know the 28-31 is not out of the question yet. Finishing up a 66 bronco build so starting to plan my next project

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you are not working with a 32 budget and already have a 70 Charger R/T (I am jealous, BTW) I would say go for a 26/27 T roadster (if you'll fit comfortable) or a 28/29 roadster. Those bodies seem to go for a few less bucks than 30/31 and a lot less than 32-34 roadsters, at least around New England.

Where are you located?

13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Think about what I'm saying:

You will spend more in the long run buying the pieces as you can afford them, then assembling them, than you will buying a complete body outright.

It costs more to buy the pieces than it does to buy the complete body, and that's not counting your labor of assembly. It's a false economy buying pieces as you can afford them then saving for a few months (years?) and buying it all at once.

Been there, done that (more times than I would like to admit).

SPark

14. cad-lasalle

cad-lasalle
    from grafton nh

I built a 32 roadster body complete from all misstamped and incomplete Brookville panels. I think I still have pictures of the whole process if those would help.

15. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

Although it sounds like fun. The money you would spend on parts will scare you. Then you have to build jigs to hold it all in place. Don't do it. Buy one all done, you will have plenty of work building the rest of the project. There are plenty of bodies for sale. Joe

16. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

LM14 is right. I'm a working man, not a lot of disposable income. I bought a cheap fiberglass 32 roadster at a swap meet. No bracing, floor, etc. Well, the body is not the same side to side (Henry's weren't either), thin, thick, pits, yada, yada. It sapped my enthusiasm. I should have saved my money and bought something better to start with. I'd probably be driving it by now. I know where there's a fiberglass 32 roadster body. Cheap.

17. Brookville will sell you the body panels and you can assemble it yourself. HRP