Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I love estate sales... (and 1936 Fords.....)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I got a text a few days ago from a friend who lives out of state with an uncanny ability of finding really great cars. It was a link to a craigslist ad in Boise, Idaho for an estate sale. At the bottom of the ad was "1935 Ford 3 window coupe" and a tiny, blurry photo of the front half of a 1936 coupe. The ad was a week old, but I called and spoke to several very clueless people before eventually ending up with the daughter of the gentleman that had passed away. The car was still available and after some back and forth, I told her I would make the 7 hour drive the next day to see the car.

Long story short, I left at 3AM the next day and 18 hours later, I was the proud and very happy owner of a great 3 window coupe. The car had always been in the desert and is absolutely bone dry with no rust or rot of any kind. It was a weird mixture of 1950's and 1970's, featuring a flathead and three speed, '40 rear end and column with Lincoln brakes, but strange bucket seats and shag carpet interior. It looks as though someone had some fun with it in the 50's and then updated it in the 70's or 80's.

At any rate, the 8BA runs great and features dual carbs on top of an early Edelbrock intake. I didn't waste much time and promptly chucked the Cragars in favor of some chrome Mercury wheels/white walls and threw a hasty lowering job at it. Plans are to drive it around for a little bit, then start the process of building and updating the car to my taste.

Needless to say, I am a big fan of estate sales....

361.jpg
    361.jpg 362.jpg

361.jpg 362.jpg 363.JPG

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I don't know why it posted some of the photos multiple times, sorry..

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - following through on the ad is something that you proved is very important - so many have been jaded, or heard of others not finding what was being offered, that they come up with excuses not to go - many scoff at craigslist ads, and do not even go to swap meets - but, you never know what you might find - went to a garage sale recently and the seller asked what am I looking for? - said that I will know when I see it - be sure to go through brakes , etc and have fun with your rare '35, I mean '36

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is really nice !

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Very nice coupe. It was pretty common to see cars get slowly updated from the 50's to the 70's. My recent estate sale find was a Ingersoll Rand rivet gun and bucking bars for $20, can't complain, but I'd rather have that 36.

6. swifty

swifty

36-5 windows are great looking cars and good ones are getting hard to find. You definitely got lucky and being willing to make the trip paid off. Congratulations. And yes, even though I've had a set of Cragars on one of my cars for 51 years you have got the wheel/tire choice sorted perfectly.

7. belair

belair

I agre-wow!

8. Latigo

Latigo

Really nice car. I went throught Boise last week myself on a rode trip. Sorry I missed the estate sale. We probably passed somewhere on the highway. Have fun.

9. Nice car..great find!

10. chargin03

chargin03

11. I know it's been said a million times...........They are still out there. Great score and way to follow up. Congrats.:)

i.rant and chevy57dude like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Estate sales rock. I bought my 40 coupe at an estate sale 10 years ago. 40000 actual miles. You got a great looking car man congrats.... IMG_0193.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. catdad49

catdad49

That's Nice! No pics of the Shag?!

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  14. ...................Hopefully not:D:):D:):D:):D:).........;)

hotrodharry2 and catdad49 like this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Wow, congrats.

16. dan31

dan31

It's always risky driving a long way to check out a car with limited info on condition but as they say " You don't know till you go". Nice score.

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow that's cool any more pictures

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Rut row
    upload_2018-6-26_7-47-14.png

19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Great car as everyone’s saying. Even better story! (Happy ending)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, seeing that, I'm really regretting selling my '36 3 Window, cramped though it was. Nice car. Glad you changed the wheels; I never understood the fascination with Cragars (I think it's a seventies thing).

P.S. I have the same problem with the system loading pictures multiple times; it's got something to do with specifying "Thumbnail" or "Fullsize". Most times I end up editing the post and whenever I see an "ATTACHnnnnn" tag with a duplicate number, I just delete it manually. Works for me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  21. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Shooter,You owe your friend big time for the heads-up. That looks like a very nice car. Congratulations!

22. philo426

philo426

One of the best Ford designs of the 30s and it is even in one of my fave colors!Glad you jumped on it!

23. Love the 3 window!

24. cederholm

cederholm

25. Really cool find. A little jealous! Happy it's in the good 'ol Northwest. Neat car & in good hands.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look forward to seeing it at beaches tomorrow?

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm mixed between incredibly happy for ya and thinking you're a dick!

I say with all due brotherhood and affection...for the car...seriously, not like that...the car.

:D:D:D