Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 or 327 for cruising, no tire smoke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustchops, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Good afternoon
    I'm gonna do a newb intro as I have been off the grid a while.
    I just moved to the Oregon coast last year and have been consumed by two years of putting up a house and all that goes with it. I have started up Vintage Parts sales as work/money, and it seems to be going well.
    I worked in many custom shops in Portland, my main work was patch panel/rust repair, chopping tops and mild chassis mods.
    I have owned a lot of cars many were on the HAMB in the past.
    So now my question, I am back to work on my chopped 1949 Oldsmobile fastback, I have a 1967 283 rebuilt, low horse nothing special, and a 1969 327 mid horse I cannot figure out which is best on today's fuel, I get conflicting answers from a lot of people.
    I cruize and don't spin the whitewalls. I don't want to run premium additive, re-curve the distributor etc. Any input from the HAMB folks would be awesome. Thanks....James

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. pitman

pitman

Back when, I would leave the distributor clamp 'snug', fill the tank, and bump up timing till it hinted a ping. Backed her off a skosch, and drove. The mid horse 327, maybe with a shot of octane bost, sounds promising.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Either have the valve seats updated for unleaded gas ?

chevy57dude likes this.
  4. Both are great engines,I have used both in the last few years. HRP

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

327! And if you need any parts for one..............I have to thin the herd some; mostly all new stuff. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

6. squirrel

squirrel

try the 327, if it has problems with pinging, then swap in the 283. Then when you get tired of the lack of performance of the little motor, rebuild the 327 with lower compression, and swap it back in.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Old's fastback,probably is not a light car. Sell the 283/327 to a real Chevy lover, buy a crate 350, make it look like a period 283/327..................................

Special Ed likes this.
  8. 283 has hard seats, 327 not, everyone says just put in a 350 it will be fine on pump gas, but a 283 sure winds up quick and get some MPG. If I wanted new I would do a LS..just not my style.

61Cruiser and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. True about the 350 with period look, must be my mental/anal hangup.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You don't seem to have any trouble putting a Chevy (smiley face) in an Olds, sell both and buy a Olds with an Overdrive!

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Vintage parts you say. I love me some vintage parts:D. Getting a might bit crowded though:p . Hoping for a little bit of info on your 283, hmmm?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Seems like Oldsmobile made engines in 49 but I could be wrong.

Clay Belt and brigrat like this.
  13. Best, IMO would be a 350 low HP crate engine dressed to look the 283 part. Tell everyone it is a 283 Vette engine (which they all are)and be done with it.

chryslerfan55 and XXL__ like this.
  14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

327 ... if it's a good one. Show us the codes & a picture of each.

15. XXL__

XXL__

Classic Three Stooges making chicken soup... pouring hot water through a chicken. Every small block ever made, dollied past a Corvette sitting in the factory = Corvette engine!

Attached Files:

16. I buy a lot of cars and parts, I just bought a 65 442 with the original 65 400 built to the hilt, way too much compression, its a fresh engine never fired but 11 to 1 pistons. I bought it for the red interior to use, right now I have perfect red 1963 Uggh Falcon convertible seats in it now, they sit low. You guys got me leaning towards a 350 now..hmm. And yes in 49 they did a v8 but 303 with a leaking trans is the norm and not much HP. mine is a 76 model no front fender or door trim, less to shave off. Ok do it chev engine olds body ford guts..I can take it.

17. Not doing the SBC belly button bashing as I think they're great in old Fords and Chevys. Something about putting one in a '49 Olds though, just don't seem right. Local guy has a '62 Grand Prix for sale with a SBC and it just seems wrong.

Bandit Billy and Blues4U like this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 283 won't wind up quick in a 49 Olds Fastback unless you have a real deep gear in the rear. You say it's a "low horse" 283, so it probably has lower compression and will run better on today's pump swill than a "mid horse" 327.

19. I have owned a few cars with 400 and 455 man they got bad MPG, I drive my cars a lot, and parts on the coast are great for generic Chevrolet but anything else is the typical we can have it next week.

20. Lucky at the coast we don't get the ethanol.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Why you asking us when you've obviously have made an observation of your own. :) We're just going to confuse you even more. ;)

LBCD and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Tree fifdy man !!!

If I had the right stuff to go with it In my pocket I'd run the 283.
    With -
    Steep rear end gears
    Overdrive trans.

If I had to buy stuff- I'm going with the vortec (96-2001) crate engine.

dan31 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. The reason I ask on the HAMB is most guys here run early V8 stuff, not like out here at the corner store reminiscing about their uncles, neighbors or dads car with no real knowledge. I make a lot of observations and still confuse myself sometimes.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

I still can't get over these posts of trying to "Make" a 350 look like a 327 or 283. Why in Gods name would anybody spend their time and money to try and fool people they dont even know? Does anyone even think theres even one person out there who really gives a shit what engine is in your car? I'm always amazed when I see this type of bull shit continually arise. The 327 original 300 HP in my avatar has in it what most people would die for and I don't even open my hood. My cars only have to please me and no one else.

Sometime after reaching adulthood most people give up trying to impress others especially ones they don't even know.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  25. Maybe a better way to say it is "make it appear vintage" by using the same parts and accessories that were on the 283 and 327. So that it looks more at home and fits with the theme of the car. That's really the gist of the hole thing being talked about on a macro level.
    It's much quicker to say or type " make it look like a 283" which is the micro level goal and everyone should know what that implies.

I'm glad your cars only need to please you, can you explain why other folks conversation also need to please you and meet your approval? Geeese

Saxman, theHIGHLANDER, LBCD and 6 others like this.
  26. jchav62

jchav62

I run a virgin 1964 327/300hp, 10.5:1 compression... original valve seats. I've ran it in my truck for over 10 years with never an issue with pinging or anything like that. Pump gas...

Chavezk21 and winduptoy like this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Go for the 327. And if it needs rebuilding it can become a 350 just as easy and without any real extra money. I've driven the 220hp 283 and the 300hp 327 in my daily drivers for years. The 283 was fine but needed lower gears to be fun. IMO I'm guessing your going to run taller gears an a auto trans??? You'll probably enjoy the 327 more and the mpg shouldn't be that much different. Once again in my opinion. As for the crate 350. It's not a bad idea at all, it just doesn't fit the HAMB philosophy ie time frame that's all. Even I have later roller 350 or even LS plans for projects. You just won't see it on here that's all.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jchav62 likes this.
  28. install the best one ya got.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Three two seven!

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Making it look vintage is way diff. than trying to fool someone. Making anything look vintage happens all the time in every aspect of the auto hobby...................
    I should just let 31 Vicky do all my responses, he has the vocabulary for it AND can put 50 words together that means what he's trying to say, me not so much!

scotty t likes this.