Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sump 302 in shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zefa46, Jun 24, 2018.

1. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Should be it….

3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Suggest you might want to add that one piece gasket in the ad on the right, as it tends to make life easier!! A lot easier!!!

fauj likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep, looks like the right part......does your 5.0 have the dipstick in the block, above the pan rail? I believe it should, and if so, you would be good to go. I used one of these pans on a 289 and made a provision for the dip stick on the side of the pan before installing it.

Ray

5. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Thanks guys , yes did have the gasket in mind , not easy sourcing from the other side of the pond

6. Did that pan fit the shoebox with no modification of the crossmember? Just asking for future reference. I might need to do a swap some day.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes......with the correct front motor mounts......which can be fabricated or purchased.

Ray

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

If anyone needs it I have a brand new Ford Motorsports crate motor pan and pickup with the dipstick.
    Will sell cheap. PM me. It is a double sump pan.

9. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

I had to cut a slot in the cross member to gain access to the front sump plug. The reason for a re-placement is mine has a leek due to corrosion.
    The dip stick is in the side of the block
    I have also been told a better fit is a bronco sump
    https://summitracing.com/int/parts/trd-9083/recommendedparts

10. Budget36

Budget36

The only thing you'll get with the Bronco pan is no plug in the front, that may benefit you?

11. Yes that is the pan you need along with the one piece gasket already outlined. Those pans were found on; Lincoln Town Cars, Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Mustangs, and Capris. So there are a lot of sources for them, maybe some local in a junk yard.

12. I'm still baffled about a corrosion hole in an oil sump :confused:

13. Ford 7.3 diesel's were famous for it. Bad paint on the outside, usually above the cross member where it couldn't be seen until it started leaking.

14. Really? That's terrible. Maybe climate makes a difference?

15. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

My brothers back home from Sydney for 3 weeks in july British summer and he will moan he's cold always does ,
    see my avatar car club badge thats a clue , 2-3 small pinholes leeks when stopped after a run and oil is thin