Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Not the same car. It is in Tennessee now.

Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  2. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

old chevy luver
    The inputs are the same on the cast iron and the aluminum Glide.

Bowtie Coupe, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Same input shaft AND stator stub splines. IF you can get the flexplate/converter/transmission spacing right, everything will work. I've only done it ONCE, and then sold the old cast iron Powerglide. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Thanks guys for the info. guy I get some parts from (and maybe u guys know) said that there is a adapter for welded conv. These pics are when Jon jamison owned aggregation in the late 70s. Showing her age a little ,but kept in pretty good shape. In the motor pics if u look close, u can see the chrome stahls. The all red was a different owner right before its demise. It was totaled near spencer ia . Jon was very instrumental in trying to find the car. Nice guy, can't thank him enough. IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0164.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. loudbang

loudbang

Hostage
    hostage x.JPG

In-bomber with Ken Nelson

in bomber ken nelson.JPG

Monster Mash II

monster mash II.JPG

6. loudbang

loudbang

Like what was being discussed note the use of stock type rims on the rears of most of the cars and some with Mag types on the front in the last few batches of photos.

7. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Thank you for the info.Do u have a guess on the spacing? Wish I had one here. U can get a conv. with a longer hub for up to I think 3/8 mid plate. I would of had to run a longer hub with aluminum glide because the mounts we came up with would go between the tranny and the block. I know some conv guys space there conv back with just the flex plate mounts, not my fav. But there is a spacer that goes over the hub of conv and into the crankshaft if it's a lot of difference (cut to fit).Will one of the newer flex plates work with the old starter.? I found out that gm recommended pre 58 trannys should have a hole drilled on the top side of the tail housing and a barbed nipple install and a hose ran from that to the top of the dip stick with a TH vent cap ,to stop them from leaking. They fixed it in 58. Haven't found anything about adapter kit yet. Thanks again. Sorry last tech post...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  8. The bolt pattern is bigger. That's the immediate problem. The bolt togethers had the three mounting brackets attached with the outer flange bolts.
    BTW, the hub is in the back of a converter. The pilot is in the front. ;-)

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I think that Tony Janes still has a freshly built but never run (in about 1970) cast iron A-1 PG and matching converter. I remember tripping over it in the back of the "barn" down at The Ranch in years past.

10. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

I figure someone would catch me on that.ha I had p hub spell check change it to Phil just changed to hub.Anyway the front cover with PILOT can be made for up to a 3/8 mid plate. I understand that the bolts for the CI glide r farther apart than a welded conv. Thats why I was asking if a newer 168 tooth 14" flex p for a two piece rear main with the bolt holes for a welded conv would work with the 57 CI glide starter ?Looks to me like the stock star looking flex plate would be pretty flimsy if not bolted on the outside to the the thick steel cover of the stock conv. I would think a modern bushed (I don't know if CI glide runs a bushing in the stator shaft)diode conv with a newer flex plate (with all the front cover choices and crank flange spacers )would eliminate the use of the ring flange from back in the day. But not ever seeing anything but pics of ci glide I am sure I missing something. When I get that far I see what we figure out. Thanks for the reply.

11. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Forsale??

Tom 57 150, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

This thread is amazing all these years after Junior Stock ended to see so many posts and so much interest in this class which so many of us have fond memories from back in the good old day's.

I look forward to reading this thread each day and reliving the wonderful memories.
    Thanks to everyone for posting.

Jimbo

13. loudbang

loudbang

1.JPG

DeLorenge & Merlono

EDIT: from Mark Yak DeLorenzo & MERLONE

DeLprenge & Merlono.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  14. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It might be for sale. He has begun selling off some of the contents of the barn in the face of Father
    Time. Tony has an arthritic hip that has sidelined him from the social circuit. He's a little hard to reach since he has pretty much quit answering phones (too many robocalls) and has discontinued clearing his answering machine. I'll see if I can get through to him. One thing is for sure, the shipping costs for a cast iron glide would be substantial.

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

A guy I know just had a 283 shipped from Philadelphia to Dallas for $200 on Fastenal.

16. Tom 57 150 and old chevy luver like this.
  17. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

I would really appreciate anything U can find out. I'm not a rich man but would love to see a actual A1 iron glide. And to own one would be great!! If we r talking price I am really not that interested. lol thank you for reply..

18. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

I definitely took that shiny car in the back room ,the times l got to go to the race,the times they let me hang ,for granted ,growing up. And a good big brother. Don't know what U got till its gone.

Tom 57 150, 1934coupe and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Barry and bill flat towed aggregation,the first yr. Then they bought the head off an old in ground drive on hoist, put mobile home axles and wheels under it. It was a tilt bed,worked great used myself getting camaros in the 80's. It was definitely over kill, u could haul a tank on the thing. That first year the car raced it was black with a cream top(original paint) I been trying to find pics from TVD of it in those colors? Been 67 or 68. It had fuel injection on it then.

22. loudbang

loudbang

Bad Banana, Freeman Taylor Racing Team

bad banana  freeman taylor racing team.JPG

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jr stock was Stock class racing. You had 2 camps more or less. NHRA Had lbs per factory horsepower rules. AHRA.leaned toward lbs per cubic inch. Super Stock was more interesting, as AHRA allowed hood scoops and some porting rules In Engineering Speak...lbs per cubic inch was based on engine efficiency...lbs per hp...who could lie the best... AHRA also had formula rules on each SS class. Thus giving more competitors per class. There is a great Book on Jr Stock available via keys, summit, speedway and others. Jr Stock...I was a water boy...and when your team is the record holder...everyone wants to know what your tunning...was some of the most fun in racing...

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  24. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

I feel like jr stock was interesting, u could tune up the family sedan and race. To be competitive they had to be very innovative with not so innovative parts. The little things added up to a tenth or two. Trial and error and pushing rules was more important (imho) in jr stock then any other class in the day. U had to keep trying to get that edge because everyone else was. Like my pop use to say" if u run what everybody else runs, u will run like everybody else. We were running dirt cars, but I think it applies here.lol . No computers,very few dynos and no electronic device telling u what to do.

Bowtie Coupe, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once at an Evevt in early 70"s. Pops wad racing in D/HR. And for the hevk of it, we entered my mom's Gremlin in A/ mini. Class. No other car, we won class, and had to make one pass. It ran under the national record that day, pure stock, 304 4 speed.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. loudbang

loudbang

Yellow Monkey Williams & Hofer.

yellow monkey  williams hofer.JPG

JR Stock photos getting hard to find the site I have been using the next batch has all been MP cars so if you need a Chevy fix check out the Modified Production thread looks like it will be awhile in modified before more JR stock photos are put up :(

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like the ZZ Top song, SHE'S GOT LEGS!!! ^^^^^. Nice ones too. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hendelec, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

All the way up to here ----------. God I miss those good old days LOL :)

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Yellow Monkey; anyone know the "why" for that name? Car's blue, no monkey anywhere on the car. Very nice looking 57, and I'm not a big 57 fan; 56's do it for me.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Butch you asked what I was thinking, I didn't get it either.

Pat

loudbang likes this.