Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Only starts when letting off ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jedy, Jun 23, 2018.

1. You gotta have that starter "I" terminal wired to the coil. It's a must have item as important as can be.

if it's not there, 99.5% chance the issue goes away after installing it.

rfraze, jedy and prewarcars4me like this.
  2. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

The IGN. Wire is on wrong position on IGN switch.seen this a bunch of times.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41, clem, rfraze and 1 other person like this.
  3. jedy

jedy

As it turns out, getting to the solenoid was harder than I had figured. I don't have jacks or friends with jacks, so I waited until I had a second pair of hands around.

It just so happened that Dad was visiting this weekend. We spent some quality time in the garage. There was a header right in the way, we ended up McGuyver'ing an extension for my socket wrench. After much effort and many words I wouldn't use in church, we finally got that sucker on there.

Just like that... problem solved. No more starting issues.

Today was a good day and I have this message board to thank for it.

I'm grateful for all the responses. I especially want to thank prewarcars4me, much appreciated brother – If we ever cross paths, I'm buying you a few rounds.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Jumper the resistor and see if it starts if it does add the wire if not check the switch. But I would still add the wire.

jedy likes this.
  5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for reporting what cured it.

swade41, jedy, clem and 1 other person like this.
  6. rfraze

rfraze

Check your work by testing if the input wire to resistor (or coil+) is HOT with key in ACC position. Should not be. If it is, find the correct IGN pole on switch (gets HOT w/key on and stays HOT during cranking) to connect that wire to.

jedy likes this.
  7. xracer40

xracer40

At some point I would remove that choke wire from your ign. wire and run it to a 12 volt source that is fused. The way it is now if your electric choke was to go bad and short out it would also ground out your ignition
    [​IMG]

jedy and sevenhills1952 like this.
  8. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I second that!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

jedy likes this.
  9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Forgot to add...12 volts when key is on power.

jedy likes this.
  10. rfraze

rfraze

Just checking to see if you did this test? result?

jedy likes this.
  11. jedy

jedy

It's always important to check the work. Wouldn't want any issues.

Took off the wire recently added wire from the coil and hooked it up to a multimeter. No volts with the key in the ACC position... 8volts (+/-) only when the engine is cranking.

Thank you!

12. jedy

jedy

Grounding out the ignition sounds bad. I'll look for another 12 volt source.

Should I be looking for a 12v source that is always hot, or only when the engine cranks?

Also, if there aren't any easy pickin's and I need to add a fuse, any suggestions on what volt that fuse should be?

Thanks!

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hot with key on

jedy and rfraze like this.
  14. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

It's been discussed before but (assuming it's standard 12v negative ground) you want +12v to coil + when key is on and cranking only.
    So 12v from ign. switch on position to ballast resistor, other side of ballast to coil +. This coil + side goes to starter solenoid, small terminal that goes to ign. switch crank position.
    So when cranking resistor is bypassed, coil + gets full voltage. Then key on, power goes through resistor.
    No power in accessory or off position.
    Be sure block is grounded to frame.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In stock form the resistor bypass is at the ignition switch in those day's and was "not taken from the starter solenoid". See Ignition 1 and Ignition 2
    [​IMG]

Here's another view explaining when switch is only in on position (right upper arrows) and when switch is in start position (left arrow)........
    [​IMG]

If stock switch has been replaced with a universal ignition switch. Then what other's have said before here. Go this route.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    jedy and mrharley51 like this.
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really wish people would read entire threads before posting, as in many cases, including this one, there are people posting suggestions for a fix when in actuality the problem has been resolved.

54vicky, swade41, jedy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I seen that. I still posted what I felt needed to be shared for future generations. :p :)

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

You're absolutely right. That way whether through switch or starter solenoid the coil gets full power when cranking.
    I've seen so many friends old cars over the years that cranking coil + or on voltage would be like 5volts. They wondered why it was hard to start or low engine power.

jedy likes this.
  19. jedy

jedy

Good point the electric choke is a separate issue, will start another thread to avoid confusion.

Thanks!

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's crazy talk!

54vicky and jedy like this.