Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Just Louvers////////

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-6-21_5-20-24.png
    Hello,

This cool, lowered, chopped, custom Chevy truck had just enough louvers to be functional and stylish. It is a pure 50’s styling design and function, which included: Lancer hubcaps, Frenched headlights, Appletons, etc. It is a well-known Chevy truck in So Cal and almost to the day, last year, I saw it in attendance at a drag racing museum event.

Hood louvers started it all with the function of allowing heat to escape. There were just enough on the hood and side cowl to do the job. But, as we found out in the 60’s, those cool looking hood louvers in daily drivers, all season long, had some difficulties.

During the wet season and in the snowy climate regions, So Cal daily drivers were inundated with water dripping in and onto the motor, causing all sorts of problems. Up in local, Big Bear and Mammoth Mountain regions, during snow ski season, it did the same if it snowed.

We tried all sorts of methods to keep the water from the motor, but it was just something that was part of the “look” that we had to put up with in our daily drivers/cruisers. For others, it was just part of the racer look that was part of the game…

Jnaki

Was this custom, purple truck low to the ground? It was about two fingers worth of low clearance in the back.

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. -kustom-

-kustom-
    from Finland

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    gonmad, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@-kustom- very cool burger grill but due to being non Hotrod nature of it keep it a link but I sure would like to see the Press you made...the link doesn't work...

Hey Kustom please do share any Hamb friendly work with were all eyes as you know...;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. gonmad

gonmad

I know that the stuff wasn’t around in the 50’s, but I have a piece of thermoplastic roofing membrane that I slide up between the cross bracing and the hood in mine when it turns crappy out. I just roll it up and throw it in the back when not in use that way it’s always in the car if a thunderstorm pops up. It’s cheap and easy and effective!

jnaki, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @jnaki do you have a bigger pic of that pickup...of course showing the Louvers...:D...I'd like to see the full effect...looks like a very cool Chevy...I tried looking for it online...no go...

Yes the water and louvers has been discussed here on other threads...

Some fasten panels underneath to channel the water away to a drain area that could be done in a roof area and have it drain via a concealed hose depending on the car you could do it under hood as well...trunk lids would be difficult to hose away, It may not look to cool either...o_O. My car has an open engine bay and I just don't drive in rain period. If your going away there are things to ponder.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    jnaki and loudbang like this.
  6. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

7. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@-kustom- thank you...the link to your home made press works now.
    I am posting a full size pic on your behalf to make it easier for the members to see it...

@-kustom- Homebuilt Louver Press

kustomslouverpress.jpg

Kustom
    Any pre-slicing to the panels?
    Have you done any vintage car/truck work?

The questions are just to help out any Hamber that might like to take on making a similar tool...thanks again for sharing your tech...

There was tech shared some years a go with a Hamber making a hand held louver die tool that was hammer hit to create the louver. Hamber Homemadehardtop also hand hammers louvers. He is in a couple of posts in this thread...

What you did on the hot dog cooker looks pretty cool it just ain't a Hotrod...
    albeit quite creative. The fellas can click on the link if they want to see it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-6-24_4-26-33.png
    Hey S,
    Here is the full side shot for you. The Chevy truck was one of the nicest at the Lions Dragstrip Museum a year ago, yesterday. It was parked in front of Tommy Ivo’s clear glass, race car, carrier trailer. It was the best looking truck at the event and IMHO, one of the coolest custom trucks around.

Appletons, Lancer hubcaps, Frenched headlights, fog lights, custom rear tire skirts, a radical chopped top, nicely done louvers, and a custom bed cover all added to the custom truck look.

Jnaki
    Here is another photo provided by SANCHO, here on the HAMB. It belongs to Jack Rudy according to him.

SANCHO, JUL 24, 2017 !REPORT!
    SHARE POST#5918 UNLIKE + QUOTE REPLY
    upload_2018-6-24_4-34-29.png upload_2018-6-24_4-38-44.png

gonmad, 509garyd and Stogy like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

As Big as it can be made :)

1.JPG

1947knuck, gonmad and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks fellas my day is more louverly now...;)...Those ole fat fendereds make nice Customs.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. loudbang

loudbang

14. loudbang

loudbang

15. -kustom-

-kustom-
    from Finland

Hello. No Pre-Slicing needed. I made the cutting edges from old chevy leaf spring. I think they are hardened steel. My first american car was -64 Bel Air. Then I bought a -57 Chevy (see link), which I have owned now 11years ( and restored mostly). I also built a -51 Chevy kustom few years back. (picture in link).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVFd4OtefF278t6AVGv2kBatxiXt3vF0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nZOJJXMezayE0qP3RL4GXfhOHdggrmhI/view?usp=drivesdk

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sharp looking machines @-kustom- we need to see more of them around here. You didn't punch any louvers in them?

Not sure what your running underneath your rides but from the outer visuals they would be very fitting amongst the crowd here and there is always room for Hamb friendlies. There is a great vintage Hotrod /Custom scene your way...never tire of seeing great stuff from your part of town. Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Credit to Photographer, Owner

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1947knuck, gonmad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gazette_Pick1.jpg
    :rolleyes: Stock Louvers are cool too

Credit to Photographer, Owner