Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 edsel ranger build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmnm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. philo426

philo426

68 Chrysler conv ,Mahal?

2. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Thanks for the advise! That's a great idea I'll have to look into that. And yes I agree with you, as much as sanding is getting on my nerves, I'm not sure I trust anyone else with this car. Something about it just makes it way to special. Definetly have alot of work to do, but everytime I'm out there, I see the progress I've made, and that makes everything worth it. I appreciate your encouragement:)

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  3. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Good to see your at it again, just looking at your gas tank and its totally different to mine , is that the vent pipe on top or the feed pipe ?

4. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Yes I realized that while I was cleaning it out this is not the original tank unfortunately, and if the fuel pump worked, the tank would still work, unfortunately I am not sure what car this tank goes to. So I will need to get a new tank. On top would be the vent line

~Hotrodmnm

5. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Yep, 68 300. Got up into the mid 40's today so I took her for a spin to the hardware store. That is what I hope for Hotrodmnm to get to do soon.

loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  6. philo426

philo426

Yes my neighbor down the street when I was a kid had a 68 Four Door hard top that he traded in for a 77 Volare...man what a mistake!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Alright y'all, i went to the junkyard today and picked up lots of parts, came home cleaned them up. And realized I have way more then what I even need. Everything is in near perfect condition I picked up 2 new tailights bezzels that are PERFECT. I will be selling some of these parts I got, so if you need things let me know!:)

(There's more then what is shown in pictures)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bedwards, Squablow and loudbang like this.
  8. greybeard360

greybeard360

loudbang likes this.
  9. philo426

philo426

Yes the parts look good.Especially the tailight parts!

loudbang likes this.
  10. StevG

StevG

Nice score at the junkyard, hotrodmnm! If you have an extra fender mount antenna, we could use one. Also, while I know they're pretty hard to come by, our car never had the fender mount mirrors.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Drop all the chrome and lenses in CLR then rinse , big improvement.

StevG and loudbang like this.
  12. bedwards

bedwards

That's quite a haul!!! I'm jealous =]

loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  13. Nice Edsel you have there! If you wanted it shiny and turquoise and white, but didn't have the money for a pro repaint, you could do it yourself with single stage acrylic urethane -rolled on. check out this link : ignore the Off-Topic vehicle but this guy did factory looking job using Kirker .Probably less than $200 for everything. Get 3/4 gallon of the coastal blue for the car and a quart of the white for the roof. You will need to prime this with ureathane primer, epoxy type is OK.
    https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/ki...ane-enamel-coastal-blue-ua-41082-p-16255.aspx

Maaco would do a cheap paint job ($299-$1000) also but wouldn't hold up over time and unless you de-chrome everything, they might get overspray on the chrome/glass...

(Off topic vehicle warning) -pretend it's a black Studebaker Lark.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170726010002/http://rolledon.forummotion.com:80/t1281-1998-jaguar-xj8-vanden-plas

This guy did six thin coats: did two let them dry, wet sanded, did two more let that dry, wet sanded, then two more. He did a 7th coat but probably did not need to.

Main points:
    -no overspray
    -you can do it a little at a time
    -wear gloves , glasses and a respirator :
    (3M from Home Depot with organic filter cartridges. Rolling is not nearly as bad as breathing sprayed paint fumes, but there's enough isocyantes and other nasties in top coat acrylic urethane AND also they are in epoxy or 2K primer : no need to take that chance ! )
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Professional-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-62023HA1-C/202080144

There's lots of people on the H.A.M.B. who have heard about Rustoleum and rolling and many don't like it, but this paint is automotive paint that a shop would use. Back in the 1900's before spraying all cars including the Rolls Royce for the King of England would have been brushed on, spray paint came along later and was an assembly line time saver. And - you cannot roll on metallic colors only solid ones.

You'll be a hero to lots of folks on here who would like a shiny rod or custom but cannot justify or afford a shop paint job. My OT car has the original paint, no body work problems, clear coat peeling off: a local shop wanted $8000-10,000 to strip/repaint no color change ,nothing fancy. So I'll roll it or paint myself for about $150.

Good luck with your car, looking forward to the updates...

Hotrodmnm and loudbang like this.
  14. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Thats a great bunch of parts you have there those tail lights are in amazing condition , your so lucky to have a good junkyard nearby, if you come across any I am looking for a pair of good Ranger rear fender spears as on mine the chrome is all bubbly
    Thanks
    Dave

15. Lady Edsel

Lady Edsel
    from Canada

Wow Hotrodmnm you are doing an awesome job! Defiantly an inspiration. Keep up the good work :)

Hotrodmnm and loudbang like this.
  16. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I believe I have a spare set. Let me check what I've got and I'll let you know!:)

loudbang likes this.
  17. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Hi Hotrodmnm PM sent regards Dave

loudbang likes this.
  18. Stooge

Stooge

Just had to read through this, really cool car and very cool project! And not that you need it, but another vote for the torquoise and white. I went out to Iowa a few months back with a buddy of mine so he could buy his '58 Edsel Villager station wagon in torquoise and white that we are starting on,i just wish his floors looked like yours! 20170902_143642.jpg 20171125_150929.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  19. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

That looks awesome! Doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape. I did get lucky with my floors! But your rear quarter panels look like they are in better condition then mine. Keep me posted I would love to hear about your progress! Let me know if you need parts and I can see what I can get for you as well!

loudbang and Stooge like this.
  20. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Alright guys, here's an update. So I have unfortunately still been slow on the progress of my car here. As I have been in and out of the doctors due to a welding accident. I ended up getting an extreme case of flashburn to my eyes due to a welding helmet that was working incorrectly. From that point I have had vision problems that have prevented me from doing most everything. I am hoping this will go away soon and I will have more updates for you regarding the car soon!

21. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Got to look after your eyes ,you only 1 set, same goes with grinding its the one time you dont use the correct gear it will catch you out, I have just bought a new welding helmet as fed up with aching eyes, what a difference i can actually see what i am doing without strain

loudbang likes this.
  22. Stooge

Stooge

Its a really cool car! He had been looking for a late 50s station wagon, partially to haul his family around in and for his dog walking business, impulse bought that one on ebay, we flew out to Iowa and trucked it home one weekend. Fortunately most of the exterior is in pretty good shape, but we are guessing that since the last time it was registered was 1968 and that the engine was complete trash, there was some big engine issue with it in the late 60s and it had been sitting ever since, so floors, rockers, basically anything underneath is pretty well gone along with the engine and transmission. Progress will probably be a little slow since he has little kids, but i'll atleast throw it up in my buick thread

Sorry to hear that! Eyes are one of those places to not screw around with too much, hope you get it sorted and can get back to it with a better helmet. There are some really good, budget friendly ones out there, I've been using this one for a few years now and its every part as good as high end Miller helmets I've had, with no accidents or eye fatigue. After having had both of my eyes drilled out for getting metal bits in them, I've been trying to be a lot more conscience of what im doing, but accidents still happen.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Alright guys. I have made a little progress. I got the brake drums off today and figured it was about time to start getting the brakes situated. Who needs those, right?;) [​IMG][​IMG]

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Keep plugging away. A build can easily take about 3 years.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Alright guys, i got brakes!!! One step closer to registering! Now all I need is a gas tank! I will keep you all posted!:) 20180504_181546.jpg

~Hotrodmnm

26. bedwards

bedwards

I bought my new tank here: http://www.autocityclassic.com/edsel-gas-tanks/1958-1960-edsel-gas-tank-5860/ I believe it was a Galaxie tank that could be modified to fit the Edsel. Basically had to add padding to make it fit to the trunk floor and I cut the old filler neck off and braised it to the new tank. Also took the vent out of the old tank and installed it in the new one. The hardest part was getting the angle right on the filler neck. I used the old cap.

good luck

loudbang likes this.
  27. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Thanks for the tip! I'll definetly take a look!:)

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  28. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Alright guys, here is the update you have all been waiting for! Took my brakes off and cleaned and painted my fenderwells just because, and painted my drums turquoise for now so you can see it through my wire wheels. Hopefully tomorrow I will do the rears, and put the fronts together! 20180623_185238.jpeg 20180623_214044.jpeg 20180623_214227.jpeg 20180623_214926.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

After a good soapy water cleaning if you spray them with WD40 and wipe them down really well it will bring them back really well. I got this tip from an old guy at Hershey a few years ago. He had a set up with hundreds of lenses, I found one I had been looking for forever but it was faded pretty bad. I was going to pass it up until he sprayed it with the WD40 and wiped it down, I couldn't believe the difference. I paid his price and it has been on my 55 ever since.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  30. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Front brakes back together got the wheels back on and standing on its own feet! Rear brakes tonight! 20180624_124638.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bedwards like this.