Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traco Transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alaska Jim, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Any one here have any dealings with Traco Transmissions ? I believe they are located in Lake Havasu city, Az. any comments about them good, bad, or indifferent would be welcome. I am thinking about possibly buying a transmission from them. any info any one can provide would be appreciated. Thank you. ---Jim

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Depends on what kind of options the OP has where he lives. A one man shop who has been in business 20 years might well be a better long distance ‘partner’ than long distance chain operation who typically depends on rapid turn, ‘get ‘em in and get ‘em out’. May not be a lot of patience or empathy for a guy in Alaska.

A phone call to the owner would reveal a lot and give the OP a ‘feel’ for compatible personality or not.

A long time friend of mine here has operated a one man shop since 1972 and is the ‘go to guy’ for high quality and extreme attention to details. Does magnificent one off projects. Not saying all one man shops are first rate, but then again, to survive uou’d think they would have to done a lot of things right.

Worth investigating further, in my opinion.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know anything about them but there are a lot of hot rodders in Lake Havasu hopefully one of them will chime in.

6. Well, a lot of gold chainers that wouldn't know a wrench from a plasma cutter anyway.

Sky Six and TagMan like this.
  7. partssaloon

partssaloon

That's a residential address so he must be working out of his garage. I've been here since 85 and I've never heard of him. What kind of trans we talking about? He's within 3 miles of me if you would like me to find out more.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Only if you are NOT a Gold Chainer and do know the difference between a wrench and a plasma cutter..:D

Ray

9. Not ALL are, but if you ever go to or been to any cruise or show there, talk to the big majority of owners, well, if it knows nothing about the cars it bought like a duck.......

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the guy's Ebay listings it appears that he primarily rebuilds heavy truck transmissions and rear axles with a few Ford/Mercury over drives thrown in the mix. Very little feedback on the rebuilt stuff he sold though.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sounds more like the OP should consider a Summit branded transmission, or even a Jegs. Another possibility is getting together with some racers at Alaska Raceway Park for a transmission. Why go with an "unknown" source? JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. What transmission exactly are you looking to have done. If you are talking a really common one, lots of better options. If talking a out an oddball trans, maybe that's why he's looking for someone like this guy?