Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sedan work in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redzula, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

2. redzula

redzula

Little more bright white than I was going for but oh well.
    Painted the last coat last night. Now I just need to do a little cleaning on the starter bolt it on and I'm swinging the engine in. It will be in next time I go out to the shop this weekend most likely.

20180526_011350.jpg

Ritzy1, Thor1 and 55Deso like this.
  3. redzula

redzula

20180528_000210.jpg 20180528_001139.jpg 20180528_001144.jpg
    20180528_004926.jpg 20180528_004934.jpg

Went in with basically no issues. Do need to spin the fuel pump as I had it clocked wrong. But that will let me rework the fuel line that I wasn't thrilled about. Otherwise waiting on my head studs to shop up for the Gen and oil filter then stuff should start going on for the last time

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Tim, 55Deso and Thor1 like this.
  4. I did mine in wimbledon white, OG color was colonial white. Local paint shop fixed me up with a couple of spray cans.
    DSCN0012.JPG DSCN0019.JPG

55Deso and Thor1 like this.
  5. redzula

redzula

Mine ended up a lot more bright white than off white. There's a little yellow to it but not a lot. I'm happy with it though.

Flatnose and Tim like this.
  6. redzula

redzula

Stupid question do I have the right ends on the right side of the ignition wires. Just watched the speedway video for wiring solid core wires and he had them flipped I think. Said the rubber end was the plug and the rajah end was the distributor side. Just wanting to double check before I make the connections. Pics are how it would make sense to have them in my mind.
    20180601_223320.jpg 20180601_223327.jpg

7. redzula

redzula

So I was out at the shop working and last night, looked over on my shelf I have all the parts I took of sitting on. And noticed one of the parts that goes in with the rear trans to torque tube stuff. Not sure what's it's called but probably shouldn't be sitting on the shelf when the trans and torque tube are bolted into the car. Glad I found it, but it meant that I had to undo some if what I'd done, onbolt the engine and trans mounts and basically pull the engine just not all the way out.

So much for finishing up the little stuff. Didn't take any pictures cause I was trying to get that done so I was at least back to where I started the night.

I did get a couple little things done. Plug wire ends at the distributor, vacuum ports in the intake for the vacuum brake and plugged a hole under the back carb where the original banjo bolt goes into the fenton (more on that in a minute), and I got the extended studs for the generator mount. Just went with the speedway ones because I couldn't fine any long enough through the usual channels. Mounted the passenger side head. Still waiting on different length studs for the other head to mount the filter canister.

Getting there i have 4 weeks until the good guys show here. And we're moving again in there too which is going to be crazy. But the new house is only about 3 blocks from the shop instead of 15 miles.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. redzula

redzula

Seriously at some point I'll figure out how to type a simple update and not a novel.

So issue with the vacuum ports. The OEM intake has a banjo bolt that services a very small diameter tube running to the distributor for the vacuum brake. And the end of the bolt has a port that connects to a hose running into the firewall and up above the radio assumed for vacuum wipers but mine hasn't had the motor since before I picked it up.

Someone please tell me if I assumed wrong about what that line is because I moved the vacuum brake line to a port in the intake under the front carb. And blocked off the banjo bolt with a regular bolt and will be removing the rubber hose it connected to.

If I put wipers back in there are electric wiper kits availiable. I couldn't use the original distributor line because of where the banjo bolt is, in the Fenton, the line is about 5 inches too short. Either way I think I have it all sorted out. Just wanted to document it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  9. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

When Jim Linder (Bubba's) serviced my crab distributor, I told him that I was going to have dual carbs and he said the vacuum advance would no longer work, and was really not necessary. I bought a brass plug for the hole in front cover where the original vacuum line attached.

The vacuum line that runs from the port behind the carb through the firewall is for the wipers. I bought an electric wiper kit from Bob Drake, but I certainly would not recommend it. I'm still trying to sort out the installation.

redzula likes this.
  10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Moving, kids, a job, building a hot rod,..... all sounds very familiar. Looks like your moving forward pretty well. Keep it up and I'm sure you can make the GG show.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have it right. Rajah to the plugs, and you'll always remember they're there after 1 poke in the elbow while running if you touch it. That "poke" has no sense of humor and punches the bone all the way to your shoulder (!). Don't ask how I know (cough-cough Packard-cough). They shock through denim real good too. Got my leg too close on a Sportster many years ago. A definitive "oh shit!" moment...:eek:

Still, best looking plug ends. I like where you've gone with this.

chryslerfan55 and redzula like this.
  12. redzula

redzula

Intended to torque the heads on using that nut as a spacer and bolt the filter with a second nut. Well the longer studs didn't have enough threads on the fine side to do that. I ended up running a 7/16 step drill through the first nut taking the threads off and making the nut into a spacer. Still looks like my original plan but the lower nut just spaces things. Works alright I think.
    20180603_173512.jpg
    20180603_173500.jpg
    20180603_131852.jpg

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  13. redzula

redzula

20180604_120534.jpg 20180604_120509.jpg 20180604_120516.jpg 20180604_120502.jpg

Spark plugs wires done
    New plugs done
    Intake and carbs mounted
    Throttles linked
    Progress.

14. redzula

redzula

So I better get this finished up soon..... I got laid off today. Turns out I probably won't be down in your neck of the country @Tim

Got an interview Monday and a few contacts to keep trying if that one doesn't work out. Crossing my fingers this wasn't really what we needed right now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit, good luck man

16. redzula

redzula

So plugging away while I'm jobless. Looking good on that front btw. Interviewed with a contractor I worked with a lot before I got laid off and hope to have good news later this week. Interviews are a whole lot easier when you already know the interviewers pretty well.

Little wiring.
    Figured out the oil pressure sender and t'd in my sw oil pressure gauge I bought a few months ago.
    20180611_160351.jpg

Don't mind the wiring. It's ugly that'll get replaced probably next winter. Just want to find a universal kit with cloth wrapped wire, anyone have suggestions or recommendations there?

Have had a couple issues.
    Pass side rad hose hits the generator-Ordered stainless ones and plan to swap the lower rubber connectors for slightly longer ones to raise it up just a bit.

Choke and hand throttle linkage is old and the choke one broke in half. New rubber pivots are ordered just need to figure out how to remove the old ones that seem to be crimped on. I'll have to wait and see when they get here. The links are also the wrong lengths for my dual carbs so I'll need to figure that out as well.

The latest one is I didn't get enough bolts with the fan I bought and need to get more. They are a weird size. A size 10 is too small and 1/4 is too big. Supposedly there is a size 12 but finding a 12 fine is hard none of the bolt places in town have any. Could probably find some online but not real sure on the thread pitch just that it's fine. Anyone have any laying around they're the 8 bolts that bolt the fan to the fan hub.

17. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Have had a couple issues.

Choke and hand throttle linkage is old and the choke one broke in half. New rubber pivots are ordered just need to figure out how to remove the old ones that seem to be crimped on. I'll have to wait and see when they get here. The links are also the wrong lengths for my dual carbs so I'll need to figure that out as well.

Had the same issue with mine. I used a hack saw to cut the old swaged-on joints just enough so I could peel them away from the rod. I'm thinking I'm going to drill the correct size holes through the new rubber joints and the rods so I can use these slotted spring pins to put them back together and make it so they could be replaced in the future if required: https://www.mcmaster.com/#92383a105/=1d9d4b2. I got 3 different lengths so I can use them to secure the new dash knobs as well.

I found a linkage from Speedway or somewhere to tie the two chokes together. My carbs are closer together than yours, but there are probably linkages out there that will work. I've also heard that people just use the choke on one carb and not bother with the second. I will not be using the hand throttle any longer, so I just eliminated that linkage.

20171222_112951.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  18. redzula

redzula

Those roll pins are a nice solution. Clean and tidy.

I've got the linkage like that from speedway for the actual throttle plates just didn't want to have 3 of them hanging off the carbs looking ugly. I was planning on only running the choke on one carb and I think the hand throttle on one would work the throttle plate shaft and operate both I'll have to double check that. My plan was to shorten or lengthen the linkages as needed to function. Which pulling the whole cable out to do the pivots would be a perfect time for that.

19. redzula

redzula

Still looking for 12-32 bolts to bolt the fan to the hub and need to adjust the clutch more because it's not disengaging.

But....

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

21. redzula

redzula

Didn't find them there when someone suggested it earlier... Probably operator error.

But since I made that latest post the local original takeoffs parts guys got back to me and has some... Been trying to call him for a week. And go figure he'd call right after I posted that.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  22. Flattie sounds healthy!

redzula likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Watched the video this morning and my daughter made her hot rod noise so it must be a hotrod! Sounds good man :)

chryslerfan55 and redzula like this.
  24. redzula

redzula

Thanks I was pretty relieved when it started right up first try.

Haha that's awesome kids are funny man.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh man she loves hot rods. You should see her light up and growl when she hears a flathead on nitro lol

26. redzula

redzula

27. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Yours sounds awesome! Hope to hear mine running soon.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What’s it got for exhaust in the video?

30. great job- sounds good-