Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sbc distributor install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideswipe, Jun 23, 2018.

1. sideswipe

sideswipe

I have a 350 with about 12,000 miles running a used HEI distributor. I have a NEW HEI distributor now.. can I just switch them out easily by making sure the rotor button is in the same spot to align with oil pump shaft and proper cylinder.
    thanks

2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The experts will say turn the engine to TDC before you remove and install, but I have done what you're suggesting many times [at the track]
    Fire it up and set it with a timing light

3. I always find that if I set the distributor rotor at 6 or 12 o'clock first it makes it a bit easier to ensure it gets back in real close to where it came out and not a tooth off, fwiw.

flatford39 and deathrowdave like this.
  4. An expert at distributor installation can get away with that more times than not and twice as many times on Sunday.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Been years for me on a bow tie , easiest is to start at 6 or 12 as stated . Mark the vacuum advance location or body if no advance . Replace it where you marked it , retime it and stand up on the go pedal !

6. sideswipe

sideswipe

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

7. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Sometimes when you pull the distributor ,the oil pump shaft will spin past the point of letting your new one drop down all the way, but you know it’s in the right tooth. Instead of pulling it back out and trying to use a long screwdriver or preoiling tool , I’ll just hit the starter and it will line up and drop. Never had any problems yet.

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

The oil pump shaft key on the bottom of the dizzy is not always in sync with where the rotor points so that needs to be taken into consideration...I have had this happen with different makes of distributors

9. As noted already, start by bumping the engine till the rotor points to 6 or 12 o'clock or some other easy to remember reference point. Then as you're lifting the old distributor out notice that the rotor will want to move slightly counter-clockwise. Keep this bit of movement in mind and compensate for it when setting the new distributor in place. If it doesn't drop in completely flush have someone bump the starter in short bursts while applying a bit of downward pressure on the distributor housing until the oil pump drive engages and allows it to drop in flush.

Don't worry if the rotor ends up a quarter turn away from your original index mark. As long as the distributor and cam gears stay engaged everything will still be in phase.

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You'll get it installed OK, the question would be does it have the same mechanical curve & springs &c , vacuum can?

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

If the distributer does not seat all the way down because of the oil pump drive turn the distributor back one tooth before you hit the starter. Because of the way the gear is made it will turn more as it drops.