Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Manufacturing The Rover Imperial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClayMart, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Casting, machining, assembling and road testing in the English countryside. All in a day's work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

3. Gofannon

Gofannon

Interestingly, the correct way to erect your bicycle is with very crude hammers.

ClayMart likes this.
  4. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Haha. What a thing. At @7:10, look how the guy putting the seat on avoids getting whacked by the handlebars. You can tell that wasn't some staged deal, but that those two worked together every day. The test drive footage is a hoot, to. Thank you for posting this.

5. I like using a BFH for the really tough jobs.

6. That's good stuff. So much of that would give the "Safety crowd" a heart attack nowadays, kids in the workshop,no helmets, no ratchet drives or safety glasses. But those test riders look like they were having a blast, especially when they were heads-down arse-up flying along the dirt road, blasting Milady in a dust storm!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hmm, I wonder when the torque wrench was invented?
    We don't need no stink'n torque wrench!

8. I get a kick out of how the workers dressed in those days. Even in the hot foundry, everyone’s shirt is buttoned up to the top and with a necktie, and even a hat! Same with most of the other workers too. Thanks for posting.

9. I liked the dirty hands assembling the engine, dirty finger prints all over. And did you see any gaskets?
    Those were the days!

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eye protection? Pfaffhh ! Pish Posh. And not a single gasket or drop of sealant on any joint of that engine.

11. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Didn't the original Model T shop manuals just say "tightnen until snug" all over the place?

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not sure about this one but the oiling on many of these early machines was 'total loss'. Just leaked out. And there would be a hand pump at the oil tank you would pump every so often to lube the crank.

13. A sharp dressed man knows just how tight is right. :rolleyes:

14. Considering the oils available at the time things probably varnished up enough to at least slow down the leaks. :p

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

16. catdad49

catdad49

Such a Great piece, thanks for sharing. Shaking out the mold without gloves will leave a lasting impression! I still have scars from that little lesson, Carp.

17. And so the traditional way of mechanical skills get their start, many of which are still used in back alley garages and under shade trees to this day. (I'm not talking about you, dear reader. I'm talking about that other guy. LOL!)

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A lot of really interesting things to see in these old films. Did you notice the young kid walk by and put the drive belt on?

The open cars the fellows encountered were pretty neat. And what manufacturer nowadays would end a film showing someone having a spill on his machine?

19. leon bee

leon bee

Man, I loved that. Those English guys figured real men don't worry about the oil leaking all over every thing.