Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big ole '60 Buick technical question (help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oz, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Oz

Oz

Okay a 1960 Buick Lesabre 4 door flat top (non-post), going mildly custom so here's my straight forward question:
    I want to lower the rear end at shows, (bag it) how do I go about that given the fact that the car has a dynaflow trans with a torque tube?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Very carefully! If you put that torque tube in much of a bind you have way more problems than looking kool at a car show.

3. Oz

Oz

I am looking for input here on how to go about it, is it possible to switch out the torque tube to a conventional drive shaft or do I have to switch out or alter the trans too?

4. oldolds

oldolds

You might not be able to get it to "lay frame". But you can lower it. Find 2 or 3 big women. If they can fit thru a hula-hoop they are too small. Put them in the trunk measure how low it is. That is how low you can make it.

jaw22w and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You can switch it to a conventional driveshaft but you get into a whale of a job. You would have to find a 61 to 66 Buick Dynaflo or 400 trans, custom make a driveshaft and fabricate some type of four link mounted open drive rear end or maybe find an aftermarket kit if one is available. Lots of work and lots of dollars. You could try mounting 14 inch 5 on 5 bolt pattern wheels(like came on 57-68 full size Olds and Pontaics) with skinny tires.

6. Lmfao

My buddy had a big ole chubby girlfriend with a bad attitude, we nick named her "lowering kit"

oldolds and gggholson like this.
  7. Oz

Oz

I found out Russel Martin out of Centerville CA. does have a kit I believe it's 1600.00 that handles the suspension infrastructure. It is available from Hot Rods from Hell in CA.