Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods info on Waco

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinisterracing, Jun 14, 2018.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

My wife and I moved our kids from Northern California to Dripping Springs Texas which is near Austin. I like the house prices of Waco but prefer the Hill Country. I would recommend checking out other areas too unless you are dead set on Waco.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Dont come here! Fixer Upper is destroying Texas and Waco. It sucks here so really find another state to move to.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobkatrods likes this.
  3. Lot's of good advice here. We recently escaped California and relocated to the Waco area. For me, Waco, itself, has nothing that appeals to me. Just another city with good and bad areas, traffic, though no where near as bad as SoCal. We chose Valley Mills. Population 1200. It 30 minutes from Waco. We are secluded on a back road. 5.25 acres, very quiet, dark at night, wildlife, etc., yet we can be at Home Depot or McDonalds in half an hour. If you're from the west coast, the weather will take some getting used to. It is quite humid, though not oppressive like Florida. You will sweat. Property is very reasonable. There are fixers in Waco for 65K if you're not fussy about the neighborhood. A nice place in the country with some acreage can be had for 150K and up, depending on the area. Right now, Diesel is hovering at 4 bucks a gallon in SoCal. It's 2.85 in our little town. Gasoline is similarly priced. Food is about the same. The beef is way better. Utilities seem to run a bit higher that what we paid in the L.A. area. People seem to know how to drive, though not so much in Dallas. People are friendly, there are little mom and pop restaurants all over the place, great BBQ, catfish, fried okra. Don't listen to the Whataburger hype. They have In and Out, which is far superior. Part of it is, one is from Texas, one is from California. Texans are very patriotic regarding Texas and the USA, but the west coast is very suspect, in their eyes. We see old cars and hot rods on the road nearly every weekend so there is some activity somewhere.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. Geezes, just what Texas needs, another Californian bragging about his cars.

5. Carl's experience and comments are pretty much the way I find/found it when I moved here a couple years ago. Like anywhere in life it turns out like you make it. The negative nellies will always find stuff to bitch about, the positive folks seem to enjoy life wherever they are. The car scene is different here though than in western states, the summer heat I think puts a bit of a damper on things. There are a lot of "special interest" cars around, but you don't often see them out and about. Here's a website that lists some of the stuff (mixed bag, not just hot rod) that's scheduled to give you some neutral perspective: http://www.motortexas.com/events/

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. I love Texas but I hate driving through Austin at 5 O'clock. Thanks heavens for the new tollway.

7. Andy

Andy

Check out Kerrville. Higher than Waco. Better climate. Has nice hills and a beautiful river with giant Cyprus trees. A lot of car activity and close to Fredericksburg. I would not live in F. But super to visit. 55 miles to San Antonio and all the things going on there and 100 miles to Austin.

Okiektm and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Waco people, homeless tweakers on mountain bikes and deadly hot??? I think You just described my home..... Bakersfield! Plus there is a drag strip close by! Now I'm sure I could live in Waco!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

P.s. auto correct turned my wacko people into Waco people. Oops

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  10. banditomerc

banditomerc

You plan on leaving bakersfield? Is it.the heat?the crackheads?...I'm looking to move to bakersfield from the oc. ..to have space...and when i miss it,im only couple hrs away...

41 GMC K-18 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. pecker head

pecker head

I'm 56 miles east of there, lots of street rodders in Waco area. Some traditional people. As said earlier Little River is close to there, and Prarie Hill race track is real close. Not to far a drive to DALLAS ( INVASION SHOW, put on by THEM ) , are DENTON ( PISTONS and PAINT , put on by the CHUPACABRAS ). Also mentioned was the 200 mile driving to a one day show, that happens a lot.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hey man, I sent you a pm.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at Round Rock...

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the Coke in bottles from Mexico has real sugar not the corn syrup crap. Still not the USA but closer than Singapore.

Truck64 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Elm Mott was where we went to the liquor stores back in the early 70's when everything else was dry.
    That whole area is different than when we lived there and my wife grew up there though. Most of the smaller towns in the area would be good as it isn't hard to run into Waco or the other shopping areas.
    The good thing about the area is that you can easily run to the Dallas area or Austin for the day and be back at a reasonable time. Houston is a longer day of driving but is doable to run down to an event and back.

pecker head likes this.
  16. exterminator

exterminator

My brother in law worked a year in Waco and hated it - to humid he said. Turned down a raise in salary over that.

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I said the same thing when I found out 25 mls. From me(LeRoy NY) was the Jell-O museum! Was quite a bit of Crosby history, Not so much I'm sure now..

Truck64 likes this.
  18. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

I moved to Crawford, outside Waco. Has anybody on this forum from years ago moved out here?

We like it A lot out and have definitely found a car scene, but you have to search it out and ask. There are LOTS of old drag racers, I have come across several old gassers sitting in back yards. And people with land always have gems stored in there old barns.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a native Californian, that left the hot, dusty, little hell hole of the " Winton/Atwater/Merced " area of the San Joaquin Valley in 1979, and have been here in Seattle ever since, I know why you, @sinisterracing, are leaving Bakersfield !

"March Meet " and the annual "California Hot Rod Reunion ", are not enough reason to stay there.
    Those are cool, great events, but you get my point!

Such a bummer that " FAMOSO " isn't active, year round!

When I was in the Army, back in 1972, out of basic training, the next stop was San Antonio for the Medical training center. Back then, San Antonio was a great place to be, but it had its dangerous sides as well. The humidity was unbearable, but still a great city. But for those of us that were adventurous, we would go out to Canyon Lake to cool off just outside of New Braunfels and not too far from San Marcos either. We would also spend some time in Seguin as well.

If I was forced to relocate to Texas, "WACO " would not be my choice, but the places I have mentioned, are worth your time to do a google search of images of those city's mentioned, its nice to have bodies of water easy to get to, when you have to cool down !

Now granted, prices for property in those areas, no doubt have changed, but at least you have a good idea of what those places are and what they have to offer. Those city's are easy to get to Austin or to San Antonio if you need decent hubs for airline connections.

Texas no doubt, isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there are a myriad of reasons that people and companies are leaving the state of California, " high taxes, looming water shortages, lack of air quality, never ending fire season, congestion, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck on your possible relocation to Texas, and I hope you do find a place there, that will suit you, and that will hopefully have some cool Hot Rod / car related elements that appeal to you!
    From Dennis.

20. pitman

pitman

A review most helpful, thanks

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Ladybird Johnson didn't do the Texas old car enthusiasts any favors, wanted all the idled vehicles scrapped out & flowers planted.

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Nobody voted for her. I guarantee it.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I lived in McGregor in the 70's Crawford was better known for it's two wrecking yards than much else except one could slip around down to the low water crossing at the west end of the park at night and park on it and skinny dip next to it. The changed the landscape there a few years ago and when we were out riding around we saw that you can no longer get down to it in a vehicle.
    My wife's folks grew up in Ogelsby and moved to McGregor before she started school. We got married in 1969 and lived there until I took a job back up here where I grew up in 1977.

stillrunners likes this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

So did the OP, sinsiterracing , ever move to Waco?

Bones

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never saw anything on it. I think he got lost in the shuffle.
    Looks like his last post was in June.

Crawford isn't a bad place to be it is 45 miles from Little River Drag strip and 96 miles from Down town Austin. About 20 miles to down town Waco.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Nope
    He is still in Bakersfield

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

I was born & raised in Waco. I live in Axtell which is 10 miles east of Waco. Just got home from a killer rod run with our car club, over a 100 miles today in the car in my avitar, we had 25-26 street rods & classics.. We stopped for lunch in Oscar Texas at a cool place to stop & eat.. Never seen you at either of the 2 monthly cruise ins at the Church of the open Door or behind Cracker Barrel in Bellmead. Lots of car stuff goin on here. 95.7nFM announces a lot of shows. Went to areal nice show last Saturday in China springs. I always thought California was the car state until I went & seen it with my own eyes, what a let down. Lots of car magazine hype ie,HOT Rod, Craft, & now defunct Street Rodder. I eat eat sleep & live street rodding & drag racing. In my area in Axtell there are several car families. New guy here just moved from california. we welcomed him , he's a pretty cool guy too. Sorry it sucks for you but not for me or all my car friends.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Homeless Tweakers on Mountain Bikes"

Saw them open for Jethro Tull at the Hippodrome!