Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 'Vette Hack 1.0

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 22, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

'Vette Hack 1.0

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    FlynBrian, Lazy A, HunterYJ and 3 others like this.
  2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Id rock it. It needs to be in its natural habitat, on the strip.

The bade appears to be a 1963 Fuel-Injection fender badge...

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You would have to take it to the NCRS meet, and tell them it was a low mileage original that you cut up and threw away the left over parts!

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That car ran at Dover drag strip in the 60's and the VW behind it with the "pie crusts" had a injected nail head in it. That picture is around 63/64 at Dover I have some pictures of the VW. I always liked the "Willys like" back window in that car. It looked a lot better than it ran.

Pat

5. Bugguts

Bugguts

I’d definitely take it to all the Corvette shows and freak them out! Tell them it was a rare factory race car.

craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  6. BBFHY

BBFHY
    from Texas

Liking that VW.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Corvettes were made to be modified... it’s too bad so many people are afraid of it these days... IMG_0529.JPG IMG_9439.JPG IMG_6800.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_9359.JPG

I did mine up as a mild custom, kinda like someone might have done back when it was almost new, long before the “numbers matching “ nonsense started....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Toner283, drdave, dan31 and 18 others like this.
  8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It would be awesome to see if that car still exists today. And I agree, NCRS meets and run it down the strip!

Rolleiflex likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd rock that. It's crazy enough to be really cool while at the same time still being a Corvette...that (IMO) doesn't happen too often.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That ‘split window’ Bug is a ‘53 or earlier.....quite rare in the US even in the ‘60s.....

As for the Vette......surprising to me that it would be ‘hacked’ so extensively for a car as near new as it was at the time....unless it was salvaged from a wreck or a stripped theft car.

In any case, an interesting period piece.

Ray

scotty t likes this.
  11. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Do you think that it was ever a real factory Corvette. I am thinking these guys just obtain enough replacement panels from a Chevy dealership to put this thing together. I remember a guy buying just a Vega body (when Vega's first came out) without the front end. Just the body, cowl, roof, quarters, floor pans and rear hatch, all put together. He obtain the part number for just that assembly and bought it. It just had primer on it. It look like it came right off of the assembly line. Another point to consider, he was a mechanic at the Chevy dealership, in York, Maine, so he had the inside track..

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I’d paint it competition orange ; and run it hard! One wild ass lookn' machine in my book.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  13. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Maybe the car had front-end damage....the owner picking it up for cheap and cutting off the damaged part. Whatever the case may be, it looks like those fender wells would be catching a lot of air and creating lift...enough to make the car unstable or at least slow it down. OK, what would I do with it? If there was a drag strip around here and the car was legal (which it probably wouldn't be) I'd get a new front end and go racing. Given there's no drag strip here, I'd put it up for sale with the hope that there is someone out there whose emotions and common sense would betray him. If the front end parts could be had for the right price, it might pay to install those before selling it. In any case, if I saw this car at a nostalgia race I'd be all over it. It is the ultimate drag racing curio.

14. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

In looking at it again, I will change my guess to: The guy had a chassis and needed a body. He got a deal on this body and thought it would be super cool to run a Corvette body...but he'd have to cut the front-end off in order for it to fit over the front tires.

15. indyjps

indyjps

It is wild. Guessing that car was in a front end collision before being cut.

16. I bought and sold a few raggedy 59/60 Vettes for parts in the early 70's. They were $100 to $200 cars in those days. So building from a real Vette isn't hard to imagine.

Moriarity likes this.
  17. That car probably started life as a rare 1958 fuel injected 3 speed car with power windows! Those are fuelly emblems on the fenders

czuch likes this.
  18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Recovering NCRS member here. When the mid year corvettes came out the early ones became unappreciated. Who knows what happened to this one, could have been wrecked and dragged out of a junk yard. It happens.

czuch likes this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If I remember correctly it was a 1949. But that was a long time ago.

Pat

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. John Starr

John Starr

Somewhere in this ugly-underside of hot rodding's past there's a good "we've descended from apes; thank goodness we left the trees!" joke lurking. :)

This make me want to jump in a time machine and watch this thing run, and probably beat the pants off a few good looking cars-- maybe while being heckled.

In the eighties I saw a local circle track racer with a butt-ugly car get run off the track, then heckled, then cheered when he recovered and held his own for the rest of the race. Fun stuff.

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

As much as I like early Vettes this is one that may be a bit over the top IMO. That being said I remember repairing the bodywork on a friends early drag car (57 Vette) in the 60s and the body was so incredibly porous and cracked and beat up not many people would tackle it-pure junk by today's standards and I have repaired and am repairing a few. This may have been one of those derelicts and the guys just had a few beers and a few laughs and took a saw and thought it would run some numbers.

I would most likely enjoy watching it run and would probably have a smile at the end of the run.

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I could have sworn the 'Vette pic in question came from Dover, and @1934coupe confirmed it—thanks!

And so, since that's the case...maybe these guys retired their, uhm, T and were back with vengeance?

DoverDragsUgly.jpg

23. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Drag Car
    Road Racer
    Custom
    Corvette’s are great at all three
    Just never leave one stock
    They have a higher calling

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is a very....errr....’unique’ / original design / one - of - a - kind car !

Ray

25. Bah! The adulation that stuff like this gets, on the HAMB, so clearly illustrates the difference between what is considered cool today and what was cool back then. I hate to see you selling this as the Hot Rod Gospel. Maybe it's my West Coast bias, but I never saw stuff like that at the races. With historic cars like KS Pittman, Mazmanian, Tony Nancy, Julius Hughes and racers like that, what's the point of featuring uncompetitive, but weird, stuff like this? Seems kind of rat roddish ...

jnaki likes this.
  26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I bought the front wheels from that car, for a hundred bucks I think, out of a garage in NewRochelle, if I remember correctly. The fellow who built and ran that car was pretty knowledgable, had a bunch of neat stuff he was working on, and was a real nice guy as well

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can't say this is the case with the Corvettes but most of the factories offered what was called a "body in white" to the racers, just the basic body shell in primer.
    Not sure when this originated but this was how a lot of the Pro/Stock cars of the 70's were built.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

By the way, not everyone had access to the "California" pros to build their cars. and not every car was professional quality even on the west coast, no matter what you might like to "remember". The guys who built this car had a 2 car garage, and lots of ingenuity, and probably had more fun than most. Betcha they are all in their early seventies now, and are glad they did it.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn, that split window Bug is worth nearly as much as a Corvette nowadays to the right people!

As to the Vette in question, I agree it was probably a total, may have even been a couple of totals. Probably bought from an insurance company for the engine, since we know all small block Chevy engines are Vette engines!:p:D:D:D

Hnstray likes this.