Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lead Ain't Dead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jun 21, 2018.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SK500 18 OMD-1989x2.jpg

Seems like at almost every car show I hear someone saying Kustoms are dead. I disagree, I believe they are as popular as ever. The word “Kustom” like other vehicle tags (Hot Rod, Street Rod and Rat Rod) have been misused. The word “Kustom” has become confusing to the general public because of the assumed experts from automotive publications, internet and television. This has been going on for years and we would like to do something to clarify what is a kustom. Since 1981, I have had this love affair for kustom vehicles. It took me years to realize why I’m fascinated with kustoms.

The million dollar question is, what is a kustom? To help me define what is a kustom. I Googled it.

Wikipedia describes a kustom as a modified vehicle from the mid 1930's to the mid 1960's, done in the customizing styles of the time period. This style generally consists of:

• Lowering the suspension
    • Chopping the roof line
    • Sectioning, removing a section from the body.
    • Channeling the body over the frame
    • Side trim are usually removed or "shaved".
    • Often pieces of trim from other model cars, are cut, spliced and added to give the car a totally new appearance.
    • Door handles are also "shaved"
    • Trunk lids, Hoods and other pieces of the body can be “shaved”.
    “Mild Kustom”
    • The term "Mild Kustom" refers to a fairly conservative approach to kustomizing, where the majority of the original beauty and identity of the car are retained.
    “Full Kustom” or “Radical Kustom”

• A "Full Kustom" refers to a car that has been severely altered from every aspect possible almost every exterior panel is re-shaped, interiors, dash, engine bay, suspension, etc.

Sounds pretty straight forward and easy to define. Not, it’s not that easy when you open it up for discussion. Over the years, I’ve enjoyed trying to define what is a kustom with a lot of kool people. The Lead Ain't Dead show is for Kustoms only and if you are into Kustoms you will be very pleased to see the cars that attend the event. Kustoms are usually not cookie cutter vehicles so you will see a wide variety of kustom work that you maybe wouldn’t have done that or maybe not that way but it will clear your mind and the creativity part of your brain will increase.

We have few Kustom only shows across the United States. We have decided that it would be kool to have an event that would celebrate the American Kustom.

How will we celebrate the American Kustoms?
    • Thursday evening at the Heritage Theater in Dewey we will watch kustom footage from the eye of Doug Reed and watch have a tribute.
    • Friday we will go on a Kustom Cruise to Kustom legend Darryl Starbirds Rod and Kustom Museum in Afton, Ok.
    • Friday evening we will have a cook out.
    • Saturday we will have a Lead Ain’t Dead event in Dewey, Ok.
    • Saturday afternoon we will have a Kustom Conference. A group discussion to talk about Kustom topics & issues.
    post cards front.jpg

Kustoms ONLY (vehicles from 1935 to 1964).
    Pre-Entry fee is $20 and the day of the show is $25
    You can register on line @ www.straykatkustoms.com

Host hotel is the Holiday Inn Express. For the group discount you will need to call them direct at (918)766-0020.
    For more information call or text me a (918)9071477

2. I agree with you on the Kustom context. Those that don't get it just don't. My other Pet Peve is the word "Restoration". I feel it also is most often used Wrong. Wonder how Wikipedia defines that word. If a person says they are "Restoring" there Hot Rod wouldn't that truly mean it is going back to day One as new from the Factory? Not back to the way it was when I first turned it into a Hot Rod?
    The Wizzard

3. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

Rat Rod is sooooo overused too.. For example " For Sale. 1977 Gmc Truck. Runs good. Some rust. Make a great Rat Rod."

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. art dekko

art dekko

Respectfully, I will disagree with your assessment that customs are as popular as ever. I am not trying to get into a fight with you, nor am I disregarding or disrespecting your opinion. I base my view on the fact that here in the northeast you don't see many new custom cars being built, especially to the terms you defined. What few newer builds I have seen are based upon modern Corvette suspensions with new frames, power rack & pinion steering, fuel injected crate motors, air conditioning and other modern conveniences people enjoy in their daily driver.

The people who have the traditional customs are older and aren't building anymore, in fact I have never seen as many "For Sale" signs on cars at cruise nights or car shows as I do now. I hope I am wrong about this.

My greater fear is that we are in fact witnessing the beginning of the end of the collector car hobby in general, due to the potential onslaught of self-driving electric cars. If this is in fact our sad future of transportation, than how long can it be before "they" decide that our old cars are dangerous and should be off the roads?

straykatkustoms likes this.
  6. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Customs are only dead in dead people..

Piston-n-Broke, wiki has resto-mod under the restoration banner, so whatever that means.. but don't listen to me as I like to kustomize the English language also.

gonmad, loudbang and straykatkustoms like this.
  7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Most excellent! A great bookend to the 500.

gonmad, loudbang and straykatkustoms like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love both customs an hotrods,thanks for doing a show!
    What I know from being into cars as I grew up in 1940s/50s and 60s> got a wife in 65.
    Had my first custom in Car Craft mag. in 1963 Jan. page 35,if ya have one.
    The car thing was gaint after WW2,seemed to me most of the other kids all had skills too,not just me,we worked on modals,toy train,pushcars,scooters, pedalbikes,gocarts and then cars. For a few decaids+ now I don't see most kids that use there hands on more then a keyboard. Nearly all the cars they grew up with cast the same shadow,. Not the same in manyways to the amazmint that was around at time new years design modal of car was first too be seen at dealership,Dad taking us all to see.

9. art dekko, I take your outlook in stride. I have always understood that East Coast and West Coast car guys do things different. I kind of like that myself. The guys in the Middle also seem to have there own way that differ's. On my side I truly don't see that much Off the Shelf chassis stuff in the Real Car world. (That meaning Driven to car events) That may have to do with the elements here vers there. I can take you on most any day into Shops local and show ya 8 to 10 builds under way that would make you think it's 1960 ish. The big difference is the Owners being younger (30 - 40) just do it a bit different than we did. I have been hearing the End is near for Hot Rods and Kustoms since I was 25. Thank God that at 70 I still haven't seen it happen. I think we Car Guys learn to work with what's on hand and some times that means 1-800 Visa to get the job done. I still believe every aspect of the Car Hobby is alive and well. It's just changed a lot since I was a Young Gun.
    The Wizzard

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"Google" ? - talk to the Legends like Gene Winfield for what makes a Kustom/Custom - Thanks for keeping the Spirit alive

loudbang likes this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love Customs !!!As much as some may hate on"Bondo" or same type of fiebputty. It was a super boost to customs,whan it came out,this stuff,weather you like it or not made it possible for a bit lesser skilled car nuts to do there own custom work{Lead was a pain in the ass to work with} so most very cool custom were Bondo Buggys,an very nice. Like all things,it could be done wrong or right,how long ether lead or Bondo lasted was how well it was done! not so much witch one was used. Far more sleds were bondo then lead,but the name sticks too all of them,an most were very cool at the time. Today I see some guys saying this one or that one is ugly? Well some were,but most,if you have "eye of the day they were built" are cool,but for that you ether needed to be there or know more history about the times.

12. art dekko

art dekko

I'm glad to know that it's not all gloom and doom. Here, people are always complaining about how expensive it is to build a car (especially the younger guys) and those that can afford it want to know why it isn't finished yet.

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

I have a mild custom51 Merc and here where i live its almost by itself at the local cruise ins. I see a 54chevy custom once in a while and a couple of glass mercs but that’s about it. Sadly that’s the case at least here.

14. morac41

morac41

Hi ...I still use lead..half through a 41 Caddy convert....welded up the rear fenders and lead loaded the welded seams ...all the patch repairs are wiped with lead..not much dearer than bondo to use...Lead is a choice ..Bondo today is probally better than lead.....I know a few of the younger body people melt all the lead out and fill with Bondo...

loudbang likes this.
  15. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Go for it Mick!!

chryslerfan55, gonmad and Sancho like this.
  16. A little over a month!

gonmad, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

still active in the West - Midnight Mass 7/28/2018 SAM_7527.JPG SAM_7504.JPG SAM_7505.JPG SAM_7520.JPG

18. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I sure would like to make the "First" Lead Ain't Dead, but IMHO the Lancers Caps on my '46 don't make it a Custom! Hopefully we'll have the Mercury at the 500 and the second Lead Ain't Dead.

loudbang, gonmad and straykatkustoms like this.
  19. gonmad

gonmad

C’mon down and just park Down the road and around the corner like I’m going to. We’re going because “one day I’ll be kool enough to have a Kustom!” LoL!

Don’t want to miss this one to check out the righteous rides!!

20. Little over 2 weeks!

21. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

Can't wait. Back to the top IMG_3505[51671].jpg

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting calls asking “can guys can attend if they are not driving a Kustom?” Yes you can. I have it set up like CCR. We have a secured street just south where the Kustoms will be parking.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also to get the $20 a night discount, you have to call the Holiday Inn Express (918)766-0020 and tell them you are coming for the show.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and drdave like this.
  24. The Lavender Lady can hardly wait to make to Dewey....her first trip fully assembled. :)

25. gonmad

gonmad

Fully assembled? Rocker trim or what? :p

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Well, on and back off. Seems driving a car with 3 inches of clearance on a static drop comes with a cost. LOL

gonmad, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool T-Shirt art work from B-Scott studios..

LEAD AIN'T DEAD 2018.jpg

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you can get to this show do it - take pics to share here too

30. The shoe box in the second art pic looks so excited he can hardly wait to get to Dewey.....I share his excitement! :D