Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering vega box vs unisteer in a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Feb 6, 2018.

1. This^^^^^ never cut corners on your car. Especially on the parts of the car that are going to keep you from banging into me. ;)

Just checked yu can still get Vair boxes new from Jegs or speedway for around 200. But yes Borgeson and Flaming river boxes are higher than a cats back.
    Its only been about 2 or 3 years that I last checked prices. Things have gone up exponentially here recently.

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

$300 for a borgeson Vega box is not expensive for a major safety component. Yeah it's third more than the cheap knockoffs, but you'll be spending even more replacing them a year later. Other options are a 525 box or the 37-48 ford cross steer box

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  3. you still can find good used original Vega boxes

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Any body got a GOOD vega box for sale?

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I used a unisteer in my 32 sedan for about 10 years with no problem, liked it alot

pprather and zzford like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Everything in my head is 1986 prices.

lothiandon1940 and nochop like this.
  7. zzford

zzford

I went from a Flaming River Vega box (a real POS) to a Unisteer. Best thing I did on the car. It made it fun to drive.

8. The "dead" end of the rack sticks out from the frame quite a ways at full lock; kind the same place a split Ford wishbone is. Mounting it further inboard and higher resulted in other conflicts. Most likely made to go with a street rod four bar.
    unisteer wishbone.jpg

9. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I've used them both and agree with a few posts, if going with a Vega type forget the price, go with quality. I love Borgeson, very good people. Also had a Unisteer in a 34, not a light car compared to some, and it worked very well with no complaints.

zzford likes this.
  10. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

I’ve put a ton of flaming river Vega box’s in cars never had any problems. I wouldn’t use a cheap knockoff box ever it’s your steering pretty important. I have used a few uni steer products nice stuff. I just don’t get the half rack to replace a Vega box. I just don’t think your gaining anything with one. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used the Unisteer in a new build but had bought the retrofit kit. It's a good thing I did because what I found is if you try to mount the rack bracket straight to the frame rail the rack will hit the hairpin turning right not giving full lock. When you mount the vega bracket to the rail and then bolt the rack bracket to it it clears. It also makes disassembly later easier. I used the Jeep tie rod end to decrease the turning radius as well. All in all I really like this setup.
    Pic is wheels centered, but full lock it still clears the hairpin.
    uni.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    05snopro440 and sacminiwheels like this.
  12. After hearing the horror stories about all the other manufacturers, I got a Vega box from Borgeson and like it.

Steering & brakes are two functions you don't want to cheap-out on.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. How do you feel the use of the Jeep rod end impacted the steering "quickness" and effort.

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The Jeep end didn't actually make it quicker, it made the right and left turns equal. The Unisteer is relatively "slow", but in as light as the '31 is it's actually better. If it steered quicker it would be a little too "twitchy". It is extremely tight and responsive now, so if it were quicker it wouldn't make it better.

15. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I'm interested in the manual Mustang box (would like to use as many Ford parts as possible) for a Model A roadster. I saw all the talk on "junk" boxes and would like to stick with safe quality parts. I'd even consider an F1 box. SO.....what advice can my experienced fellow H.A.M.B.'ers offer on these 2 choices? Parts sources? And Fuzzy Knight, why don't you need a panhard bar to keep everything aligned? Thanks in advance...

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The problem with a Mustang box in a side steer arrangement is the pitman arm points up. This creates a geometry problem leading to bump steer. See the Pete & Jakes catalog for explanation: https://www.peteandjakes.com/catalog/

17. Any reason the F100 Ford truck is not a contender in this discussion (I noticed it was mentioned once)?

Charlie Stephens

18. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Yeah - that question (and I assume Charlie is referring to the steering box, and not the whole truck...). Like I said, I'm trying to stay with Ford parts. The unisteer is intriguing, but a bit new looking for what I understand to be "HAMB- friendly."

19. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Thank you, Blues4U!

20. adventurer

adventurer

I am using a Unisteer set up on my 32 sedan, and the steering radius is terrible. I have seen some mention to a Jeep tie rod, can anybody tell me what part number shoulds I be looking for? Or maybe somebody can sell to me? Thank you

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Speedway has one calling it a "cross steering tie rod end". Works well on my '31.
    [​IMG]

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think a f 100 box would be a good choice if you have the room for it.

23. butch27

butch27

I'm running a F-1 box.

24. I've used a lot of Vega boxes and never experienced a problem,with me if it works why change