Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Plymouth Manual trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dvorak, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dvorak

dvorak

I have a question that hopefully someone can help with. I have my mothers first car a 56 Savoy 2 door. We have it running and moving but want it more reliable for long trips. We are looking at putting in a 318 Magnum out of a 95 Dakota. Is there an adapter plate made that would allow the new 318 to bolt up to the 3 speed manual trans? I am not opposed to installing the automatic trans, just would like to keep it manual if possible. Thanks

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'd suggest you look to using a manual trans setup from a Dakota along with the engine. That will be the excellent AX-15 5 speed. According to my recollection there are no stock bits and pieces that will bolt the '56 manual trans to '62 and later Mopar V8's or 6's. The transmissions changed in '57 and engine block to bell housing bolt patterns changed on '62 models. You could use other '62 up manual trans setups from either passenger cars or pickups with the later engine, if you want to retain 3 speed column shift or floor shifted 4 speed or 4 speed with 4th being OD. If anyone knows differently, it will be 73RR (Gary) here on the HAMB

Ray

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I ran a stock 1956 Plymouth three speed behind a 354 Chrysler hemi with 4:10 rear gears and pie cut cheater slicks back in the early 1960's. If yours is still in good working order, it should work out well.

4. dvorak

dvorak

BadgeZ28, Did you use an adapter plate or did yo have to do some engineering? Was your manual 3 speed originally behind a straight 6 or a V8?

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Mopar V8s through 1961 all use the early bolt pattern (except '51/'53 Long bell housing Chrysler 331). So, BADGEZ28 would have been able to put that together with all stock parts because the 354 was from '56 era.

Read....or re-read... my post #2 above and do some thinking. If you do not understand it, ask for clarification.

Ray

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Keep in mind if you change the trans you will have to change the rear axle because the handbrake is on the trans.

Both the small V8 and flathead six were very reliable in those cars. The six cylinder especially is easy to rebuild and easy and cheap to get parts for. You might want to check the engine over carefully, do a compression test and check oil pressure. If it is in good shape you should get a lot of trouble free miles out of it. At least as many as a second hand, twenty year old pickup truck motor.

7. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

It was behind a 270 V8. The hemi was a early 331 bored to 354. It had a cast on bellhousing. My dad was a mechanic and had a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He had to design a one off adaptor and turn down the input shaft on the trans.

8. dvorak

dvorak

So if I am reading this right a '56 V8 would bolt up to the manual trans behind my '56 straight 6. I might have an option than. The parts car I used was a V8 car, had a pushbutton automatic. I would have to tear into it to see if it is useful any more but might be an option. If I am reading this correct.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, the ‘56 six cylinder manual trans will bolt up to a V8 MOPAR engine (up thru 1961) if using a ‘55/‘56 Ply, Dodge or DeSoto manual trans bell housing. The reason for limiting the bell housing to no later than ‘56 is that the transmissions changed significantly in ‘57 models and so did the bellhousings.

Ray

10. 35desoto

35desoto

X2 on using the AX15 gearbox from a Dakota - good box,5 speed and well setup.

Hnstray likes this.