Register now to get rid of these ads!

Infamous Run-On Sentence Posts

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 19Fordy, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is there a way that HAMBers who post using long, grammatically incorrect run-on sentences could automatically be notified (while posting) that corrections need to be made? Such posts are often very difficult to decipher.:eek::(

quick85 likes this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

As Ralph Wiggum would say, "Bad at English? That's unpossible". That kind of stuff drives me crazy, too. Incorrect spelling is one thing but CAPITAL letters and punctuation in the correct spot is not tough to do.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. No offense intended but you need to take into account that the Hamb is international and many members overseas are doing their best to participate in a language that is not their given tongue.

I am not one to criticize any member for spelling faux pas or punctuation, I make plenty of both!

This is a hot rod & custom forum, not a English classroom. HRP

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    F&J, dirty old man, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  4. It's funny. I laugh, and I move on. Bigger things to worry about.

F&J, dirty old man, LAROKE and 4 others like this.

5. If he is defending me in court, writing my autobiography or doing my taxes I might be concerned.

6. There is a precedent for the importance of good punctuation and grammar though.:D;) 1336075413637_9450087.png

7. I just move on,
    If they can't be bothered to build a scentence and type so someone can attempt to understand it, why waste a 2nd second on it.
    Chances are any response post will be comprehended at that exact level of their composition.

Posts in blue fall in right next to run ons
    Noamsain?

Hombre, quick85, williebill and 2 others like this.
  8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you missed this the first time please read it again. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

...asked and answered.

flatheadpete likes this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

orgetyournopuntuationsramblingsdeleted

wraymen, lothiandon1940 and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sometimes I wish that there was automatic grammar and spelling similar to how I use my home and work based Windows PC. It might sound anal however I check everything before it leaves with my signature block. :p
    In saying that I'm happy to let things slide but do get frustrated on occasions when reading some posts. ;)
    kNOW YOUR SHIT.jpg Grammar police.jpg grammar_3.png

13. Man oh man did I screw up a good thing by missing an apostrophe S

Leaving this off - ( 's ) completely changed the meaning of message I typed. It's funny now but at the time it was not.

14. People read stuff incorrectly anyway

IMG_1282.JPG

Obviously for some folks you don't even have to get close - it can be all sorts of mixed up and still readable.
    This message serves to prove it.
    IMG_1281.JPG

15. Eats shoots and leaves.

Eats, shoots and leaves.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

ClayMart likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] That was real easy, but still don't understand the first thing about electricity. Bob :confused:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  18. Awww, 'lectricity is simple. See? :p

Wiring.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. I think the mods should be required to take a course in college grammar and then be required to proof read every post before it is published. I'm sure that would solve the problem.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^^

No.... thanks.
    Moderator problem solved.

(this one has run it's course.)

21. Why is the mods problem that some HAMB'ers can't write?

22. Lock it down. HRP

23. Fixed it for you.:)

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You have to stop and think, a lot of the over 65 guys may not have finished school, they often were taken out of school by the family to work on the farm. Their reading and writing skills may not be much over the 6th grade level, and they never used them much through the years until their later years when they got computers.

On the other side, public schools have lowered their standards in the past 20 years compared to what they were in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Some of those folks under 50 are on a par with the over 65 guys because they were pushed through school without being made sure that they learned the basics.

In the middle, you find people in my age group who finished school in the 50's, 60's and 70's. For the most part, we were allowed to finish school, family farms were dying off and families were smaller, so we got more attention in school and at home. Most of us used our skills lightly, but never forgot most of them. We worked jobs where good penmanship was unimportant, and reading was done for pleasure. Then home computers came along, then the web, and we starting using those long dormant skills to communicate again, some of us better than others.

And when you add in the changes to the language, words now have different meanings than they did years ago, it easy to see a failure to communicate. Some people write like they talk, nonstop, you have to listen good to understand what they are saying. Others draw out their explanations and make sure you understand every detail. And if their first language isn't English, the translation can get lost.

Me, I just try to be clear, to the point, and punctuate where needed. Easier to do on this PC than on my phone or tablet.

25. Enough. Please lock it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.