Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Concerning Flywheel Cracks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falcon H, Jun 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

A while ago I bought this flywheel and I have been really worried about the heat cracking that it ever since. Do you guys think this crack (the worst one by far) is safe to use? I defiantly want to keep both of my feet!

Thanks a million!
    IMG_1277 (1).JPG IMG_1278.JPG

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't use it.

3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I would not use that flywheel. That is a pretty large crack and will only get worse and may end in a catastrophic failure.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

ANY crack of ANY kind in a flywheel turns it into a potential grenade. Wish I could find some pics of cars with the floor boards demolished and the dash board bent up like a bow. These were circulated by the NHRA when they passed the scatter shield rule. Hate to tell you what the guy's legs looked like.

Later.... check out this thread and see if you still want to use a cracked flywheel.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...eel-explosions-lets-hear-some-stories.185297/

mgtstumpy likes this.

5. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

No way I'd use that.

6. alchemy

alchemy

It's right between those two holes. It looks like it could be shrapnel if the crack makes it to the holes.

7. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

I'm no expert, but I am the core guy at the local peterbilt dealership. I have gotten a few cracked flywheels back and when I inquired about it with caterpillar they told me they will resurface the flywheel if the cracks are not to deep and they are good to sell as a reman unit. If it was me and my money and my car though, I would look for a different flywheel.

czuch likes this.
  8. Should be plenty safe to use as a base for your grinder or buffing wheel. :eek:

Probably. I think. :oops:

Maybe not. :rolleyes:

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

THROW that flywheel away. Your legs are worth way more than the cost of a new flywheel.

10. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Thank you, everyone for the advice! I'll start looking for a new one immediately.

czuch likes this.
  11. atch

atch

Perhaps the best use for it. If you do, though, remove the starter ring. Those teeth will chew up a concrete floor every time you try to move it.

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That it will explode is true given that you go to the track and rev it up to 6 grand and pop the clutch. That is why they use billet still flywheels for racing. Now before I get shitted on for saying this let me finish. I don't know of any stock, cast flywheels that don't have heat cracks in them. I worked in a brake and clutch machine shop and resurfaced flywheels like that everyday, it's a common practice especially in trucks. I would not use a wheel like that for racing and good luck finding one for a stock 56 Pontiac
    that isn't cracked. If you find one that has been resurfaced you may not even know. All of the stock standard shift cars out there that are hamb friendly and have stock flywheels in them would not be driven if they ever looked at the flywheel. Again I said stock. non racing. So throw that one out, buy a new billet one (non-hamb) and install a scatter shield, you will be good to go.

Pat

13. Gerrys

Gerrys

14. Deuces

Deuces

Cut it up in half on a band saw and ditch it!!!!

MAD MIKE likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have seen ‘heat checked’ flywheels that had myriad small cracks in the surface and did clean up with a surface grind. But none that I have seen had a crack of that length, width and depth. I am no authority on the subject, but I agree with most posts above that see that flywheel as likely to be a major safety issue. The thing is, for the price of new flywheel, would you want to gamble with your feet, legs or possibly life....not to mention any potential passenger injury?

Ray

16. Deuces

Deuces

I think any used flywheel should be magnafluxed before and after resurfacing.......

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm with everyone else on this, wall art. A scattershield may contain things to a certain degree however the risks far outweigh the gains IMHO.
    [​IMG]

upload_2018-6-21_12-47-29.jpeg [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

kadillackid likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Those are concerning cracks.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to go along with Hnstray in that that isn't your normal heat check crack. I've machined a lot of them with surface heat checking cracks down with decent results but I'd think that crack is pretty deep.

20. cometman98006

cometman98006

Having a flywheel/clutch assembly come apart on my full race olds engine in my '34 ford 5 window just before I reached the traps I wouldn't touch it. When mine went it broke a weld on the scater shield and jambed it against the throttle. It was going past the 6,000 rpm red line when I hit the kill button. No injuries but that was the end of my hotrodding for over 50 years.

21. morac41

morac41

Thats no heat crack SCRAP IT ......

Hnstray likes this.