Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flynbrian48, Jun 17, 2018.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4715.JPG

I'll just leave this here. No, wait, I'll put it back on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. D6B7AAEA-2575-40E2-AB0E-CB9589E9D572.jpeg

This is what we had at jag for doing knock offs a THOR HAMMER
    one side raw hide one side lead.

Beat those basterds on, 2 days later have the customer come by and recheck
    And any time they wanted or oil change etc. After that
    Never had one come looses but smart to recheck periodically

jchav62, flynbrian48 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Van that's nylon...or some other hard plastic...

Heck these knockoffs are a lot of work...mind you installing and torquing wheel nuts ain't exactly speedy and not without it's own grunt factor...​

VANDENPLAS and flynbrian48 like this.
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Forgive a dumb question, what are these "hub clips" of which you speak?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Answered my own question. Looks like the pin drive hub extends beyond the center of the knock off when in place, the clip snaps over the hub center. My knock off's aren't open, so I think some drilling holes in one end of the knock off and some safety wire is in my future. ;

6. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently losing a wheel is not that uncommon!
    My brother restored an MGA in my garage while he was still in school, and he planned to flat tow the car behind a u-haul van back to Dallas after graduation. Unknownly, the front hubs were reversed. He got down the road about a mile before both front knock-offs and one front wheel came off. I got a call at work that he was stranded by the road (he did find the wheel and knockoffs, fortunately) I had to beat the crap out of those knockoffs 2 -3 time for the mile back to my place.

My brother's name is also Brian, so maybe its a "Brian" thing...:)

Stogy and Hombre like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Brian...There's still some 'controversy' over which side gets the left hand threads.

Read the Dayton rule again. Drivers side is LEFT side, and tightens toward the front. (knocker nut rolls 'forward') Ergo, right is right. (passenger side right, sit outside right front wheel. With the RIGHT side hub installed correctly, the passenger nut will now thread 'clockwise', or 'roll' in direction of 'forward'.

They really do loosen up in motion, it's an inertia and centrifugal force thing!

Bandit Billy, czuch and Stogy like this.
  8. The summer of 67 I had a friend that had an Austin Healy 3000 with knock off wheels. We were talking one night and he said it would do 90 in third gear. We called B'S and he said get in and he would show us. There were 4 of us and we said he only had room for 1 rider. He said 2 of us could sit on the trunk. For some reason that seemed ok so off we went and the car did what he said. When he put on brakes to turn left onto another road we heard something come off and clang down the road. It was the left front knockoff. The spline had stripped in the wheel. The hub stopped turning and the wheel kept turning and unscrewed the knockoff. I don't know how the wheel stayed on. Sitting on the trunk we would not of had a chance.

czuch and Stogy like this.
  9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

The law of the Hamb Averages strikes again...half of you are correct. Knock offs thread OFF in the direction of travel/rotation

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-6-19_12-10-19.png
    @Atwater Mike , doesn't this instruction mean the righty tighty spinner on the left (passenger) side?
    That is contradictory to what @sliceddeuce just posted isn't it guys? Or am I confused? I would really like to know I have them mounted correctly.

Stogy likes this.
  12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Let`s see...….If the right hand thread adapter is on the left side of the vehicle? That would mean that the left hand thread is on the passenger side and THE KNOCK OFFS WOULD THEN THREAD OFF IN THE DIRECTION OF ROTATION. Correct ?

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward from the rear is driver side.

It is in the instructions you posted. Righty Tighty on driver side.

Therefore as one Hamber said with wheel spinning free driverside it you rotate wheel in its forward rotation the spinner will tighten ( thread on ) if held while rotating the wheel.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apologies...re-read what your saying...yes to loosen spinner on passenger side you have to rotate spinner in moving fwd tire rotation which is in fact the same for removal on driver side as well being RH thread is on that side.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Passenger side gets LH thread.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Per Dayton Wheel, and the stamps on the hubs and the knock offs: the drivers side (left side standing in back of the car facing forward...), use the RH threads. The passengers, right side, uses LH. The spinners are tightened, wing up, by driving them to the rear of the car. The key thing I didn't do was to re-torque (i.e. smack them with a BFH lead hammer) after the first several miles.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  17. Hey stogy

That’s a pic of the interwebs, the one we had was old and looked like a cartoon hammer it was so big
    One side was raw hide
    And not sure if it was a jag tool or something that was made as a shop tool, but it was a big hunk of aluminum that was cut out to fit on the knockoff perfectly and had to wings coming off either side to hit on ( looked like a giant wing nut ) so you got a bit more leverage with your hits and did not mark the Knockoff

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess its best to have a nut and bolt in hand when simulating this theory. Were knockoff hubs just a bolt-on addition to the factory studs?

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its funny someone was saying earlier to use a deadblow in case you hit the body or fender...man even they can do some serious damage. Generally if its got knockoffs its expensive and body blows of any kind can be not good.

The cartoon mallet...I remember an old fella I worked with had one of those he used for ever and when he retired they got that mallet and sprayed it gold and mounted it on a plaque and presented it to him at his seeing off gathering...:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I think that I’d stick with the Wide White Steelies or American 5 spokes .
    I’m too old for “Mr. Toads Wild Ride”.

Stogy and Terrible80 like this.
  21. that is interesting. hmmmm

22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This is all making my head spin! Lol. :confused::(:p:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Bandit Billy, flynbrian48 and Stogy like this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

All this to determine how to rightsey tightsey and lefty loosely . A safety wire makes it impossible to come off no matter which way you see is correct to tighten it . Some tall drink of water from Texas figured this out many years ago , and I bet he was traveling warp speed compared to our hot rods on a daily basis . Just something to thing about . I know it doesn’t look good but neither does , the inside of a casket . This serious stuff , not just cosmetics . You are a lucky man , nothing worse happened . How you feel if a person going the other way lost a tire and wheel hit your grand child , because he didn’t like the looks of a safe way to attach his wheel ?

24. Slopok

Slopok

Chrysler always had the left hand thread on the drivers side, wouldn't the same principle apply to knock offs???:confused:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My head hurts.

flynbrian48 and Stogy like this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang!!! Right after I bought that Kenny Roger's record album, way back in about 1976 or so, I played it for my parents. My Mother's name was was Lucille; NOT Lucy, NOT Lu, NOT anything else, LUCILLE!!! She cracked a smile, but my Father thought it was pretty funny. Too bad about your wheel taking a different route than you were, but you learned something here. Knockoff's require maintenance! Glad for you and the car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it standardizes the installation as the wing up hit to the back to tighten is the same both sides.
    No different animal.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think anyone here doesn't understand how serious it is and I'm glad that the maiming and death caused by it has not been an issue here. Its a lesson of understanding how it works, what went wrong and an alert to getting it right. Lockwire is evidently built into the equation depending on manufacturer.

Getting it right is the only option really or there very well could be a casket next time.

Bandit Billy and flynbrian48 like this.
  29. hotcargo

hotcargo

Brian , first off ...NICE CAR ........very glad you made it with no relative damage ......coulda been a lot worse ..........

we had a grocery getter XJ6 Jaguar with a 350 chevy an knock off wires for a lotta years .

one thing I do remember was to jack the car under each axle with wife sittin inside with her foot on the brake while I hammered the knock offs , never had an issue with loose wheels etc , just used to check em every now and then .

Oh Yeah.........All spinners screwed on towards the back of the car

( I remember old racers used to swap the front hubs around so that the braking forces reacted against the knock off direction )

cheers Steve in Oz

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wait? What? Who said I didn't like the looks of safety wire? And now I'm killing grandchildren? That's a pretty big "what-if". The list of "what-if's" is infinite in every situation in daily life. I think the purpose of the safety wire is to alert one in the event the knock starts to loosen, it gets tight, not to keep the nut on the spindle against the force of braking. Lighten up, I'm sharing an event that was my fault, and how I'm fixing it. It's a hot rod, it's inherently unsafe, I'm doing the best I can.