Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods In a BIG time jam... Is there any one in the Manitou/Colorado Springs area that can weld aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33 Fordor, Jun 19, 2018.

1. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Long story, but I put a hole in a cast aluminum oil pan and am currently stuck in Manitou Springs. Was wondering if there is anyone local who could weld a plate over it? Doesn't have to be pretty, I can slather it in JB Weld, just needs to be able to hold oil long enough for me to get back home. Any response is appreciated.

2. BJR

BJR

Why not JB weld a plate over it. It will hold.

3. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I kind of thought about that, but its probably a 3"x4" hole, so not sure I would want to risk that, plus I don't have a plate anyway.

4. BJR

BJR

Find a piece of steel or better aluminum and JB and screw it to the bottom of the pan.

5. wendoverwill

wendoverwill

Try Wagners Fabrication, (719)471-7767. They are on the west side of Colorado Springs, not far from Manitou Springs.

6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Where is the hole/crack located on the pan?
    Some alloys are not weldable.

7. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I found a local guy who is going to help me out in the morning. It's an aluminum LS1 pan, and the hole is right in the big part of the sump and isn't cracked to the flange at all, so i know its weldable, just might not be a super good weld since it's had oil in it, but as long as it gets me home, i can replace it then. Appreciate all the responses.

catdad49 and Latigo like this.
  8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

X2 for Wagner's Prop Shop

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since it's a currently available part, wouldn't it be better to just replace it now?

Beanscoot likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think your missing the part where he is on the road stranded

11. Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got that clearly. I'll bet it is easier (and probably closer) to find a Chevrolet dealer than a welder able (and willing) to do this kind of repair. I would be willing to bet that anyone with the ability to do this would want the pan to be removed before even attempting a repair.

Hnstray and 1956 F100 like this.
  13. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

The closest Chevrolet dealer didn't have one in stock, and it would take 2 days to get it. I found a local guy who had a friend that welded it up for me this morning. He came and picked it up and took it to his friend, who put a nice patch on it, (which doesn't leak at all, no JB Weld needed!), then brought it back and waited with me to make sure every thing was alright. Awesome guy, I couldn't have asked for anything better! There truly are still nice people in this world!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    charleyw, j hansen, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

Glad to here you got it fixed.

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'd be tempted to delay replacing the pan for a (long) while, if the weld looks good.