Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Chevy II "Flak Magnet"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LTKMUNN, Feb 6, 2018.

1. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

I had acquired this car from a guy in north Jersey back in September of 2016 it was supposedly an old race car/street racer in the Morristown area with multiple owners but I believe it had not been on the road in a LONG time and wanted to give the car a new life to tear up the road again. It still has its 1978 inspection sticker with dealership documentation from the original owner. It would be nice to find more history on the car. I bought this car as a roller with literally nothing in the car and and was basically starting from scratch down to the electrical system. Had to redo the interior, the engine bay, had to correct some of the previous chassis work and redo the backhalf, narrow the rearend, At the moment Im just finishing up the tin work. Overall I'm trying to keep it closer to the style of an older period car, than having all the modern flash. I plan on keeping the patina for the time being as it fits the car. The first two pictures are when I brought it home. It was a solid car but needed some TLC. I will post more pictures in the time being on the project. 1 nova.PNG nova 2.PNG IMAG0426.jpg IMAG0431.jpg IMAG0526.jpg IMAG0532.jpg IMAG0533(1).jpg IMAG0534.jpg IMG_20171104_172107_080.jpg IMG_20171104_172107_082.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I've got to admit that I dig it. I wouldn't want to take on the complete from-the-bottom-up project
    but I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

loudbang likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I concur, I love these things too.
    Not a deal breaker but nothing wrong with a base ChevyII, those SS emblems don't work on a post car though, just me.
    Include the car in the Chevy II thread.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chevy-iis.397699/

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the tach addition in the gauge cluster.

loudbang and LTKMUNN like this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like it.:)
    You do need to move the fuel regulator off the fire wall if you want to race it. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  6. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

Thanks! Yeah Ill move the regulator, i just had it mocked up there for the time being, until the motor goes in, I plan on putting a nice sbc in there. It has an m23 in there I got from AutoGear. The rear end is an Old's 9.3 its a 59 unit I believe from running the vin on the case. I put 4:30's in there with a spool.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    blownhemi48 and saltflats like this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yikes, that’s nasty..... in a good way btw

8. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

I just kept whatever trim was with the car and put it on. When I post more pictures of the nose, you will see it has a 65 style grill and light bezels. I think down the road I will change it to the 62-64 style front. In my opinion i think its sharper looking.

catdad49 likes this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Wow....a '64 2 door post Deuce is the car I most wanted as a teenager many years ago. I didn't find one so settled for a '63 hardtop. Nice job on the car.

Lynn

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

this is gonna be cool, subscribed

11. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

A little neat piece I'd figured I would throw out there. I still have the Owner Identification booklet from when it was first purchased at the dealer. A lady bought it from a dealership out of Livingston NJ From Wigder Chevrolet on Rt. 10. It shows all the body codes, engine, trim, paint etc etc... After that I don't really know much about the car other then it stayed in the North Jersey region for most of its life, and was past through a couple of hands. From what I was told after the lady, I think some kids bought it put a small block/4speed in it. Then it went to another person who raced it?? then hacked up the front end to fit put a big block in it, ?? I'm not really certain and was just going by what the guy told me when I purchased it. Its a small mystery I would like to find out just for the fun of it. This weekend Ill get more pictures posted of the car if the weather cooperates.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

You took a lot of strength out of those shock towers. I have a feeling you may get some buckling out of the metal on that top plate.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  13. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

One of the previous owners cut up the towers like that, when the big block was in there it was for header clearance when running the fenderwells. That was basically the only way you could fit one in there with the stock clip. Im planning on bracing them back up but alittle different than stock.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  14. rjones35

rjones35

pretty cool!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, this is going to be killer! Love Chevy II's.
    From the description of the powertrain and that rearend/tire setup, this dude looks like it won't have any problem pulling the front wheels when it hooks up.

17. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

A few more pictures I found on my phone I had laying around. This weekend I should get some nice ones. The tin work in the one photo I have just placed in there at the moment to check my fitment and measurements and mock up for the tubs. I also needed to close up the tunnel because some guy must have used scissors to cut it.... it was bad :confused:o_O Still needs alittle more tin knocker magic too it. The chassis is pretty basic but works. 8 point cage, the rails are tied all the way up to the factory front frame horns and tied in with trans. crossmemeber. Leaf springs have a kickout to them so I have room for the meats. At the moment just running some Napa shocks, I throw on the traction bars this weekend. IMAG0524.jpg IMAG0528.jpg IMAG0530.jpg

mgtstumpy, catdad49, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. belair

belair

Looks like a lot of fun.

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  19. Frank Bonner

Frank Bonner

I DONT BELEAVE THAT IS A 1964 SS I JUST SOLD ONE BUT IT WAS A COUPE SS EMBLEMS ON A (1964 SS ONLY ) WERE ON THE FRONT FENDERS NOT THE REAR QUARTERS LIKE THE 62 -63-65 LOOKING AT THE TRIM IT WOULD BE A 1962 BUT THEN AGAIN I HAVE NOT SEEN A 64 POAST ETHER SO I COULD BE WRONG !!! I HAVE BEEN BEFOR LOL

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  20. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

Yeah it was not originally an SS car, When I got the car I just put back on the trim it came with. The previous owner probable just put the SS badges where the "chevy II" logo would be like on a 100/200 series sedan would have them. I ran the vin numbers it was originally a 400 Series sedan. 194 with a glide - car.

loudbang likes this.
  21. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

I got around mocking up the battery and riveting down the front portion of the tin work, the weather was yet again not the greatest - rainy/snowy so I couldn't do much. Still need to put the tubs in and then I will be able to pull off the protective film on everything.
    IMAG0541.jpg IMAG0542.jpg

catdad49, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

The weather again didn't cooperate, So I was only able to do minor stuff, did some more electrical added a few things here and there, and mocked up the tubs and some of the fire brake (not pictured). When it starts to get warmer I will touch up some areas with paint. IMAG0546.jpg IMAG0547.jpg IMAG0548.jpg IMAG0549.jpg IMAG0551.jpg IMAG0552(1).jpg IMAG0553.jpg IMAG0554.jpg IMAG0555.jpg IMAG0556.jpg IMAG0557.jpg

catdad49, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  23. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Kool looking Chevy II. Reminds me of the Doug Headers car. Keep the photos coming.

loudbang likes this.
  24. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

IMAG0981.jpg IMAG0982.jpg IMAG0983.jpg IMAG0985.jpg IMAG0987.jpg

Attached Files:

AHotRod, 6sally6, Tim and 6 others like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool!!!!!......:cool:

26. Great car...I can see the VW in the background had some work done..notice the remote filter so it’s been full flowed, see the header and stinger, and the removable rear valence

27. LTKMUNN

LTKMUNN
    from New Jersey

Good Eyes!! haha

loudbang likes this.
  28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Great stance, really wanted one of these for years.
    SPark

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Burn those new slick stickers off :)

30. catdad49

catdad49

Another Wild Deuce! Better have your belts tight when you let this one loose. Great build, thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    loudbang likes this.