Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Roadster Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 4, 2018.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

3weeks delay with roadster, too much business trip (dayjob).
    Now car has been testet on the road and slowly I have "tuned" it. Runs very strongly and I can feel that huge torque. Seats are rather hard stuff, but one lady turned 2pc 5mm plywood, cut those right shape and covered it with padding and old style leather. Easy to put on or take off .

Today I get all wirings ready. It was hard to find right taillight bulbs (dual contact 5w/21w, small globe), but finally found from here and not need to order those from US.

Cloth wirings, cloth looms, 1 fuse...... normal hot rod style.

Brakes are not good balance, but that is small thing to fix last.

AULIS

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    AndersF and Stogy like this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

And......I´m not built hot rods for sale, but if somebody is interested in this Hot Rod, Im going to POWER BIG MEET 2018 (South Sweden) , You can see car there. Not free, not overprice. This is not showcar, its made for hot rodding (=driving and enjoying).

There has come some inquiries from Sweden and Middle-Europe, but I have not seen money on my kitchen table. Also possible to ship car to US, shipping cost 2000-2500USD and business can be made using international shipping Company + letter of credit. Then everybody get what they want (money and car).

AULIS

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    AndersF and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job @AULIZ your a talented fellow...congratulations on your milestone and nearing the final stages of this Hotrod build. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Look forward to your continuing contributions here...;)

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir. ah

Stogy likes this.
  5. AndersF

AndersF

This mean i can see the hotrod in real life.
    It really turned out well. Great job.

Stogy likes this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Anders, see You in Power Big Meet (www.bigmeet.com).

Need to take last pics now , when rod is "ready".

Still missing hood top. I have made it, One piece top only. I have springs, old Swedish and Finnish Army belts,.... but I have lost inspiration to make it ready because weather has been very good, here in Scandinavia (north-europe), last 4-5weeks. Its crazy to built cars when outside is over +20dec Celcius and days are long.... Enjoy more to drive and eat ice-cream.

Aulis

Weedburner 40, Stogy and bct like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Note !!! Swedish and European Hot Rod builders:

I have those S-curve lower radiator hoses (flathead) there.
    I do not have my hot rod shop anymore, but have some extra parts for sale.

My Friend has vendor place there (Jan-Gunnar Jansson). He is sell whitewalls, coleman burners, hot rod oilcloths (vaxduk) and hot rod parts.

(one extra set Firestone Deluxe Champion 6.40-15 (2pc) & 8.20-15 (2pc). Only 750euro set of 4pc ! etc etc.)

Aulis

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Last weekend I was drive all over countryside. Saturday I drove to Road Rockets American Car meeting (picture. In west-coast Finland). Sunday I drove small roads over lakes... total 600km.

Best hot rod I have ever drive.
    Aulis

[​IMG]

woodz, rpm56, The 39 guy and 7 others like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

one picture more:

[​IMG]

woodz, rpm56, Cyclone Kevin and 8 others like this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Roadster goes like crazy. 1500km behind during last two weeks.

Next night I drive down to South-Finland and take Ferry to Sweden.
    Going to Power Big Meet 2018 in Lidkoping, Sweden.

Aulis

IMG_5214b.jpg

IMG_5212b.jpg

GordonC, Stogy, rpm56 and 6 others like this.
  11. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Now that's a true hot rodder !!! pulling his roadster ( on a trailer ) with his coupe !!!
    How awesome is that !!!

Stogy, loudbang and j hansen like this.
  12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Care to share pictures of you hitch setup on the coupe? Me likey.

loudbang likes this.
  13. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The roadster looks great Aulis! I am glad you kept posting your progress. I thought you had stopped posting months ago but found the thread again tonight.

Sam

Stogy likes this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Now im in southern Sweden. I had bad luck with car. After 200km driving, coupe's vertex magneto was broken. I had 3hours time to fix it, but heavy Rain was make situation 'interesting'.

Sos towing helped me to their garages. I changed car on trailer and my friend took my passanger car and drive down he hitch trailer home. I drove roadster. Sleep night home and morning washed roadster (full of sand, mud....) and drove down , buy New ferry tickets and early friday morning 400km down from stockholm to lidköping where is this power big meet. Roadster runs great. 110-120km h all the way..... old Led zeppelin, early zz top, steve Ray vaughn etc music from head pones.....what a great feeling to rodding.......

Aulis
    Lidkoping
    Swe

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

At home again.

1000miles and all works great. V-belts are stretch little, so need to change shorter belts and use extra strong Optibelt or Gates "hp" model belts in the future.

Very strong engine and can have easily 110 - 120km/h speed on highway.
    13litre/100km (around 5.5gal / 100miles) 98E fuel.

Here article swedish newspaper:

https://www.skaraborgslanstidning.se/article/aulis-akte-over-100-mil-for-bilfesten/

over 50.000 people in Power Big meet and over 10 000 american cars.

If this nice summer weather is continue, maybe next weekend go to another big american car meeting in Haparanda Sweden. That Place is n Lapland. Haparanda is small city another side of Finalnd-Sweden border and Tornio is city in finnish side.
    Wheels magazine (swedish) is arrange there big meeting yearly.

Aulis

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You look Happy @AULIZ...I can understand totally...keep on Rockin' & Rollin'...great stuff

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I found a translation site for the article AULIZ mentions above.

[​IMG]

AULIZ.jpg
    Aulis Hämeenkorpi from Finland traveled over 100 miles in his hot rod to get to Power Big Meet in Lidköping. Not even an inconvenient ignition stopped him.
    Photo: Jenny Åberg
    Aulis traveled over 100 miles for the car party
    Lidköping Cars is Aulis Hämeenkorpi's passion. Not even the fact that he was allowed to go 40 miles extra, the Finns stopped coming from Power Big Meet Lidköping. The reward - third-time win in the hot rod class.

Power Big Meet is the world's largest outdoor event for American cars and usually attracts about 50,000 people. It's no wonder that you see veteran vehicles not only in Lidköping but just a little stop in Skaraborg right now.

But the engine party at Hovby airfield not only attracts Westerners or even Swedes - for many years the event has several international guests and this year there was a German TV team in place to follow the events in Lidköping.

One who absolutely does not want to miss Power Big Meet is Aulis Hämeenkorpi from Seinäjoki, eight miles southeast of Vaasa in Finland. His passion is hot rods and he has been praised several times for his beautiful builds, including at Power Big Meet.

But this time it became difficult to get there. After 20 miles, the ignition in the car broke down, so Aulis ordered the cargo home, repaired the car, then started the journey again, 45 miles to the ferry to Sweden and another 25 miles to the meeting in Lidköping. The ride went on in the rain and hot rods have no thanks, as you know.

Fortunately it turned out the trip was worth all the hassle. At Power Big Meet, Aulis Hämeenkorpi - in competition with 60 in second - was awarded the best hot rod.

- I wanted to show the car the first time here at Power Big Meet. I have about 300 cups at home, so the most important thing for me is to show the car in a good place. Sweden is good and I like Kjell (Gustafsson, the motor festival genre, reds anm), he explains.

Bandit Billy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. AndersF

AndersF

Pretty good tranlation except the distanses.
    100 mil = 1000 km = 621 miles
    20 mil = 200 km = 124 miles
    45 mil = 450 km = 279 miles
    25 mil = 250 km = 155 miles
    And the hotrod missing a roof not a thanks.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank you for translation and Correct numbers !

Today I fixed magneto. I pieced vertex and changed points, adjust it and now 5w coupe runs again....
    Sometimes have no any luck ,but need to think positive..... Good thing is that cars are not crushed.

Weather will be around 25 decrees Celcius all week, so need to drive up to Haparanda Swe (380km), Wheels Nationals - North.

Aulis

loudbang, j hansen and Stogy like this.
  20. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That's a great car, I'm glad to hear the car made it to Sweden and back home with out a problem. Good driving music you picked. Good luck with the car.

21. Aulis, if you run into Kjell Gustafsson, can you ask him if he remembers a Finnish guy who helped him "prep & paint";) his Corvette in SoCal back in the '80s ? If he does remember, give him my best regards.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Are You still think about 80´s paintjobs? You are waiting for some money?

Of course I can tell him. What is Your name ? I do not know any TTR, and I belive everyody has real name and ID.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Joo, kyllä mullakin ihan "oikea nimi" jne. on, mutta olen ehkä sen verran vanhanaikainen että yritän itsepäisesti vielä ylläpitää edes jonkinlaista yksityis suojaa joka tosin nykymaailmassa alkaa olla aina vain vaikeampaa.
    Ei K. G. mulle mitään "velkaa" ole. Näin vain sen nimen ja muistin kuinka joskus kahdeksankymmentä-luvulla autoin häntä "meikkaamaan" (tullausta varten) yhden uudehkon 'Veten jota hän silloin oli viemässä itselleen Ruotsiin. Ajattelin vain että jos hän sattuu muistamaan tapauksen, niin saattaa saada makeat naurut niistä muistoista. Ei tämä juttu sen kummempaa tarkoita.
    Voin lähettää nimeni yksityisesti jos se tuntuu tarpeelliselta tai jos vaivihkaa kyselet pääkaupunki seudun pitkanlinjan, eli yli 30 vuotta jatkuvasti hot rodien/vanhojen jenkkiautojen parissa touhunneilta harrastajilta.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Below is a translation of TTR's message for those that are curious. I cannot be certain of the accuracy of the translation.

Yeah, yes mullakin pretty "real name" etc., but I am perhaps old-fashioned enough that I try to stubbornly still maintain a semblance of protection of private which, although in the modern world is becoming ever more difficult.
    No. K. G. I do not have any "debt". I just remembered its name and remembered how I used to "make up" (for customs clearance) one of the new "Vetes" that he was then taking to Sweden in the eighties. I just thought that if she happens to remember the case, she may have some laughs about those memories. This is not what it means.
    I can send my name privately if it feels it is necessary or if you are questioning the capital city of the region's longline, that is, over 30 years of continuous hot rods / old-age yenkii cars from overwhelmed enthusiasts.