Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3W Coupe Lakes Racer-Thrash for TROG West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jul 26, 2016.

1. alchemy

alchemy

That sounds like a lot. Let us know how that works.

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I usually set my hot rods up with that much initially so I can drive them and then I eventually will get it aligned however with my model A coupe I set it up that way ( used tires) and never had it aligned for over 10 years and it drives straight with no abnormal tire wear so I have not had any problems with that much toe in.

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Weekend update..........well I decided that at the pace I work I will be too old to drive the car when its done, just kidding, I had a realization that I have two young kids under 5 and demanding job so finishing this car in a reasonable amount of time is not going to happen, so I called in some help from my friend Nick of Hubcaps Customs here in Phoenix that did a lot of the metal work and initial build on the car from his old shop downtown. His work is top notch and he has an eye on how to fab stuff look cool, and he is fast, he knocked out the front shocks using some '40 lever shocks and used the shock ball off some model A perches that were in my stash and worked a little peak into them when he tigged them onto the Speedway perches , then he built a custom exhaust header for the drivers side to clear the '39 Merc cross steering box all in one Saturday, this guy makes it look easy......
    IMG_1038.JPG
    Custom header to clear the '39 Merc Cross Steer box
    IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    kidcampbell71, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking and it should be a great driving car but as several guys tried to explain the folks that put Trog Events on are dead ass serious about telling you that you can't run in the event with parts that they don't allow and they for sure check. They aren't bashful about telling you no either. It's clearly stated in their rules.
    It isn't that guys hate the 5 speeds, I have one for my Model A V8 but it will never race at Trog or probably any other event. Actually I had the 5 speed before I had the body and frame or the engine. That trans will help that car scoot across the 2700 miles to Lone Star though.

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes, I am well aware the 5 spd would disqualify me for TROG but at this point I am not interested in racing my coupe at TROG, I am building this car to be capable of driving to Bonneville or the Round Up.

530sandman likes this.
  8. Much respect for (DOING WHAT YOU WANT!)

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. cederholm

cederholm

Love this car! Perfect stance, beautiful motor and couldn't give a crap about the 5 speed! Can't wait to see the videos of this thing on the road.

~ Carl

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, its been a while since I updated my thread because life has been hectic but Nick and Moose have been working on the coupe recently and here is what they got done.
    -The clutch linkage was something I didn't get done when I took the car to Nick and it has been a challenge using '40 pedals and cross shaft in a CE X member caused major alignment issues so nick fabbed up a bell crank linkage that is awesome looking piece of engineering.
    IMG_1266.jpg

Then Moose wired the car up and it starts and I have heard it actually runs for few seconds which is awesome!! If we had the seat installed we could then mount the fuel tank and then it would running but we are still waiting on the upholstery to show up. Then he made these cool tail light brackets for the '37 Ford Tail lights on the plasma table that mount on the back frame rails so we don't have too use the generic SO-CAL taillight mounts
    IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG

Stogy, Shadow Creek, el Roach and 4 others like this.
  11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Got the seat back on Friday from the upholstery guy so now we can mount the gas tank and plumb it so we can run the car.
    IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wednesday update...............Nick got the windshield installed and functioning like it should, I just need to get glass cut for it. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures:
    IMG_1289.JPG
    Then he and Moose got the gas tank installed so we can run the engine
    IMG_1290.JPG

Stogy, kidcampbell71, Muttley and 3 others like this.
  13. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Once we got the seat into position we mounted the gas tank and fired it up. It runs great and I have a video of it running but for some reason I can't post the video here, it says this file is not supported, its a .MOV file??? Anyone know to get this posted here?

14. louisb

louisb

Probably best to post it to YouTube and a link here. Let me know if you need some help.

—louis

15. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wednesday Update........ After 11 long years of owning this car we drove the coupe for the first time ever last week unfortunately first gear pops out as soon as you release the clutch and acts like its not fully engaged in 1st ???? Shifter adjustment possibly ?? Thoughts??? All the other gears work great you just have to start off in second.

Nick got the hood fitted with the welting on the cowl and grill shell, we added the grill shell trim which I love on '32s and the windshield glass should be back from the glass shop today so we can reinstall the windshield.

One picture with the hood on but still need to mount the Dzeus Fasteners at the bottom and adjust the top fitment some.
    IMG_1361.JPG

16. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome hot rod.

17. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well Nick got the windshield glass back from the glass company and mounted it in the car and got the Dzeus fasteners on the hood so it fits nicely, now I am just waiting on my transmission guy to stop by and diagnosis the reason 1st gear keeps popping out or start off in second all the time HAHA!!
    IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

18. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great car!

19. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks El Roach, now that it is very close I need to get some miles on it and work out the bugs before the Hill Climb in September and RPM Nationals in October.

20. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Tuesday Update........Last Friday Nick finished up his portion of the deal on my coupe and his work is amazing, first he fitted the hood with Dzeus fasteners at the bottom and got it aligned nicely, then he built a bead to go where we had to step the hood for the mild 2 inch channel so it looks like the original factory bead on these hoods that is so pretty and it adds rigidity.

IMG_1514.JPG
    Since this was an old race car from the dry lakes it has lived a rough life and the deck lid opening was not square so Nick added some metal on one side and sliced some out of the other to make it fit the new square brookville decklid, it now latches like it should and open and shuts good.
    IMG_1515.JPG
    So the plan was to drive it the 12 miles home from his shop in Deer Valley however the CHEAP CHINESE Speedway brand new front wheel cylinders starting leaking right out of the box so the brakes were too sketchy to drive so here it is arriving home finally to my shop..........Trailer Queen:)
    IMG_1512.JPG
    I wanted to drive this thing badly so on Saturday I bought a quality set of front wheel cylinders at So-Cal AZ and installed them when it was 105 inside my shop and then bled the breaks and adjusted all four corners so now I have good pedal, then finally I was able to drive it up and down the street a few times which was awesome after 11 years of building this coupe, as mentioned it was very hot outside that day like 111 degrees and I didn't have a catch can so I had to fab up a quick one using a vintage beer can I had on the shelf.

After driving it I still think I have major issues with the T-5 because man it whines so loud when you engage the gear set and it still pops out of first so I am worried it has to come back out which is a bitch in this car so I am still waiting on my tranny guy that gave this one the green light and resealed it to come look at in it the car and just hope its a shift adjustment or something simple.
    IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  21. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Your car looks great!

I didn't say anything earlier about your popping out of gear problem because I'm not an expert, but once it starts to do that, it's ready for parts and service. I did play with 5.0's a lot back in the day and know enough to know that once they start acting up, they don't fix themselves. Quick google search showed these problems:

if it's still popping out of gear, it's likely worn syncro's/blocker rings and/or worn sliders, maybe even a worn gear.

If the shift forks are broken, or tabs missing, then it could be popping out of gear because it's not fully going into gear.

I do know that the "tabs missing" is the cheapest and easiest solution. They're the little plastic tabs on the shift forks that can break and fall out and cause it not to pick up the gear. Probably not the cause of you problems.

Either way, the trans needs to come out.

3blap.

22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Friday Update................As I mentioned I swapped the front wheel cylinders out and replaced them with new ones then adjusted the brakes better so now I have good pedal, then I finished touching up the paint where the metal work was done so now its time to shoot some driving videos!!

This one I tried to start out in second since first is having issues and it stalled :)

Getting on it a little on the side street and opening up the Merc Flatty

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  23. brady1929

brady1929

24. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah! Sounds great!

25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, my transmission guy came over Sunday and drove it, he removed the shifter I built and used a long 3/8 extension in its place where if he really jammed it in he could get it in 1st gear but that indicates a worn shift forks in 1st so it has to come out, He felt bad they missed it in the inspection so he is going to make it right by taking care of the repair all I have to cover is the R&R time which I am fine with.

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Not much to update around here as the coupe is pretty much done, I did get the official email that I made the cut as #56 for 100 cars chosen to race at the RPM Nationals in October 27 so that is cool!!!!

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

28. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well the transmission is out and at the builders and he got it apart to find first gear and reverse were chewed up bad, so he is going to source some gears and a new set of bearings before the race on the 27th.
    Any suggestions for a source for T-5 gears?

IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG

29. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Tim_with_a_T likes this.