Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lack of Diversity on the HAMB?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgedifferent2

dodgedifferent2

I have been floating in and out alot over the years.
    Just completed a 10 year dodge dart project.

Recently acquired a 30 model A body.
    Came here looking at tech articles while I prepare my build. It seems all the pictures from photobucket are lost forever. Alot of the tech stuff is hard to figure with no pictures :-(

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are in this forum here (Questions and Suggestions) help for this as there are patches you can download for your browser to counter the problem...;)...see link below...it ain't perfect but it revives many...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-you-a-dime.1083748/?hotlinkfix=1525303167066

dodgedifferent2 and Max Gearhead like this.
  3. I'm afraid our friend inadvertently opened Pandora's box and I honestly believe he meant no disrespect to anyone.

The take away is we all have a opinion,this when expressed can have positive or negative connotations and a lot of the reply's confirm the later. HRP

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 41GASSER

41GASSER

5. Germ

Germ

Sancho and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with HOTRODPRIMER on this one. The only people who should be busting the OP's chops are those people who have never misspoken or said anything stupid. I can guaran-damn-tee you that there isn't a single person who has posted on this thread who qualifies.

The OP tried to clarify his original statement and it is clear from that that he meant no offense. Could he have phrased what he was trying to say more eloquently?...you bet. But on the other hand, everybody needs to quit being so quick to be offended. Extend a little grace to the man. Hopefully, the next time you speak foolishly, and there will indeed be a next time, someone may extend that same grace to you.

Peace.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled programming.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quoted from above.

"My friends, this was not intended to be a "bitch thread"

"Whatever the reason, polite discussion and the sharing of views always has a place."

"I do like questioning authority, tilting at windmills and occasionally stirring the pot."

Regarding this explanation above of your original posting...
    I respectfully believe your last quoted statement is not conducive to a polite discussion
    as we have witnessed, but does explain this threads intention.

I do my best to provide on topic content that I believe has relevance here
    with the intention of generating interest, education, comradery, and conversation.

HOTRODPRIMER and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. silent rick

silent rick

my friends call me silent rick. most of you know me as that asshole on the hamb.

i belong to the benevolent brotherhood of assholes. i'm on the national charter. you can check. member in good standing.

so i got that going for me.

Germ likes this.
  9. We both have been there my friend. Same sammich, different filler, but we have both been there.

Someone told me that you were still on this side of the grass. I told them that they were dreaming, glad that they weren't. I am not sure if you have read one of your old rants and unless the Boss was just being sentimental I doubt if one still exists on the server. The truth is that if you got the syntax right, even though they seemed like the ramblings of a mad man they were actually poetic. Jabberwocky [Lewis Carrol] comes to mind, perhaps he supped with us and we didn't know it.

You are absolutely correct about C9. WE lost way more than many will ever know when he left us.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Well, at least I got you reading and commenting, which was the idea. I think you missed my point,however, and I don't intend to get into a pissing match.
    1. The title was to get folks to read my post. I figured most people would assume Racial Diversity, but a small number of participants, given the HAMB membership numbers, reflects a lack of diversity as well.
    2. Going on to read HRPs posts wasn't an insult to all the other posters, it was a message to Danny that I wasn't at all complaining about what he'd posted, just observing that many other folks were not starting posts.
    3. I never said the other posts were not interesting and there is no need to bring in the moderators, those of the members who are veterans (but, thank you all for your service to our country), apple pie, mom or waving the American flag.. The whole point was to question why more HAMBers are not starting threads-no insults or complaints to those who do or have started threads and no comment on the quality of those threads that have been started-many of which are too technical for me to comment on anyway.

You are entitled to you opinion, which is what I asked for, after all. I am sorry you felt insulted by what I wrote. Thank you for participating.

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@5window many of the leadership are posters, comment on and participate therefore are involved in this conversation.

My reference to veterans which I often use is not in reference to military at all. It references the people of which many are the oldest members here that were at the dry lakes for instance and can explain everything about the Hotrod and the person in the b & w photo posted that they may have even taken because they were there, had hands on or it was their car or friend. That said that is only one spoke of the mass of players who were there back then all veterans of the hobby with valued information.

In fact a member that has had a livelihood around the 1965 and down culture represented here anywhere in the world where North American Hotrod/Custom/Race had influence I would consider a veteran of the knowledge discussed and shared here.

I was 5 years old in 65. I am a follower, torch carrier, just enjoy this place and find it fits what I enjoy better than my true life physical experience with the Hotrod/Custom/Race culture in my area.

I have nothing more to say other than thanks for your apology with an explanation.

Benny's Ford likes this.
  12. Germ

Germ

I'm slowly figuring out that I don't understand all of these fancy buttons and the new HAMB format is very confusing. I need a fucking tutorial on how to even reply the right way..
    The thing about this place is that it is a wealth of knowledge if you just want to read..

As for replying to every post and being the class clown, it just takes more alcohol..

Enjoy this life.
    Wouldn't change much of anything.

13. Crap I dont even know how to find this thread

Stogy likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One reason people don't post threads much is the few smartasses who always have the same responses, "There's 57 threads on that, look it up" or " That's not traditional", or "That's not how we do it", or "You need to go buy $XXX tool and do it, everybody ought to have it in there shop". I've been flamed a few times for asking a question about something that happened before I was born that I really didn't know the answer to, like I was supposed to know everything that has ever went on. I don't let it bother me anymore, I try to avoid the Gestapo, and build my stuff the way I want it, not somebody else's ideas. I read way more than I post, and mostly only post on others threads. I've got a build thread going on my car on a couple of other sites, but I won't post one here because even though the car is in the HAMB era, some things going into are not, and I'm not out to offend anybody that doesn't like it. I might sneak a pic in every once in a while of it, but not the entire build. My wheels are too new [80's bullethole I plan on replacing later], my engine is too new [95 Ford 5.0], trans is too new [AOD], but the body, front end, and interior remain HAMB era. Some would say it's a street rod, but I don't give a crap. Call it what you want, I'll call it mine.

And I love Danny's off the wall stuff! He's done more in the hobby than I could ever dream about doing. I'm just a broke assed trucker trying to have a drivable old piece of iron.

Benny's Ford and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Fact of the matter is the HAMB guidelines dont encourage much diversity. Its a very narrow focus (im fine w that) and from what I see in real life are fewer cars built in a style appropriate for here. Some look the part but have modern drivetrains or other things not spoke of here. Rather than not speak of thier LS motors or laying frames on the ground and get a cold shoulder here, they share the stuff elsewhere. As styles change and fads pass we're left w fewer folks interested in truly traditional builds. As the hamb rules become stiffer and format keeps changing folks end up move on to other venues. Then your left with a bunch of "what color should I paint " or "tell some stories about blah blah blah" threads or a few thousand lurkers afraid to post anything. Hell its hard to even ask a question without a dozen different or condescending answers some times.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window and 42merc like this.
  16. Germ

Germ

Im half Mexican. I enjoy HAMB as much as I enjoy Taco Trucks.

hrm2k likes this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wait? 1/2? I'm only 1/4... But I'm Texan too... so that counts for something.

18. 5window

5window

Who doesn't love tacos?

19. silent rick

silent rick

20. I remember one of our members in the past that always said he likes cheese,me too! HRP

5window likes this.
  21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

HRP, very wise of you. I have always felt this too. This “bullying” really limits and narrows. Tough to counter especially when it’s tolerated. It can drive away great people (often the nicest/greatest) and we all are lessor off.

22. koolbeans

koolbeans

NoSurf likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

Strange, and yet, diverse.

24. kursplat

kursplat

25. PugetDude

PugetDude

Long-time contributing member of the GJ, until recently just a lurker on the HAMB. I read a lot here , but don't post much. I have noticed that there is a is a contingent of long term members on this thread who can't wait to pounce on newbies who have the audacity to ask a question that was previously asked and answered years ago. I'm not going to spend hours sifting though a bunch of old threads that may or may not be relevant just to make sure I'm not asking a previously answered question.

I'm building my first Hot Rod, a 1932 Deuce Roadster. I visit (and appreciate)the HAMB for ideas and advice, but have resisted posted build pics here because 1) I'm using a glass body 2) I'm not building a show car 3) I'm not doing a restoration of a older build using period-correct NOS parts 4) which is apparently heresy to so many here. I'm doing it in a small two car garage, don't have a fully equipped metal fab shop, spray booth, or machine shop, so my techniques are bound to offend some. The car has original 32 rails, a '498BA flathead, but I'm using an S10 transmission, Explorer rear end, discs on all four corners, a GM tilt column, and a Dodge Caravan minivan seat- a surefire combination guaranteed to fire up the flamethrowers.

It's not a question of "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" I'd rather be here learning and in the garage doing, without the drama.

YMMV.

Darryl Deir and Sparked like this.
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This thread is a perfect example of trying to
    make a mountain out of a mole hill.

27. 5window

5window

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

5 window: Touche.. Pretty neat.:rolleyes:

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude, you can't be a Texan and a Sooner....It just ain't right.

NoSurf likes this.
  30. He was born in WICHITA!

NoSurf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.