Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 La roadster show ... worst ever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Jun 16, 2018.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Just got back from roadster show , in 20 yrs of going was the worst one I have ever been to . Normally when I arrive before opening , I have to wait in line 20- 40 minutes just to get my classic vehicle into the event. I arrived at 7:00 AM and drove straight in:(. What I saw looked like a ghost town. Swap meet was tiny in comparison to years past, and the parking under the shade trees was wide open. The amount of roadsters in attendance was a joke. I am very sad to report.....RIP Los Angeles Roadster Show.

maneri, da34guy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. I hate to be negative but I must agree with you. The only thing good was the overcast sky kept the temperature down to the seventies. I sure hope the new management finds a way to turn it around as it has been my favorite show/swap for many years (probably 45+). Will I go next year, probably.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    LOU WELLS and Jalopy Joker like this.
  3. CalGasser

CalGasser

So you think this once great event will be a thing of the past? I know last year was dismal too so wondering how long John Buck can hold on? Very sad!

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That sucks. I just went to a local show in Wisconsin that was advertised as big show with Lots of cars. We drove almost two hours to get there and found maybe 14 cars in the show. Now I understand it was not a show with a tight criteria, but there was a Hellcat in it, and no vendors at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

So this I just one guys opinion.

I spent the whole day at the show and had a damn good time!!!
    I guess it’s what you make of it. I don’t go to see if this year out does the previous years numbers. I don’t really care!!! I go to see some old friends and make some new friends. I go to see cars I have seen time and time again, cars I haven’t seen in years and cars I haven’t ever seen. I go to check out the vendors. I go to be a part of a great gathering of people that share the same love of old cars as I .

I have been going for 45+ years. I have only missed a few. This year definitely was not the worst. I believe last years show was. Was this the year with the highest turn out, no. However, this year had all the things I love. I for one enjoyed it being a little less crowded. I could see more and walk around easier.

I think John did a good job with this years show. I believe in years to come the show can regain its size. If the show goes away from lack of support (support from us) it will be gone. Nothing can replace it. I chose to go and support something that I have enjoyed for almost a half century.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Thanks for the Positive outlook Jim,

I have been going for about 38 years, I went Friday this year for the swap, I know it would be a little light on cars due to the weekday and schedule change. I did catch up with a few good friends which is always a big part of the show to me.

Hopefully it will continue, as long as its Affiliated to the L.A. Roadsters Club I will support it. I hope we as Hot Rodder's don't loose this show.

Remember there was a boycott when they brought the Oakland Roadster Show to Pomona, now its better than ever.
    Just my thoughts, don't kill the messenger.

7. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Me thinks John Buck needs to find s different venue - one more affordable for both spectators and participants. Parking ($12), admission ($20) lunch (15-18 bucks) shoots hell out of a Fifty - without buying a t-shirt or shopping the swap meet. I was there Friday, never left the swap meet area - just too much KOOL stuff there you don't see at other swaps! I was allowed to bring a cooler in, so saved a couple bucks to keep hydraded. Made some good buys, I felt.

Also, since the show has downsized on its own the venue ALSO needs to downsize - it's a damn long walk from the swap meet to the show area - I'm guessing fewer people are willing to make - especially us graybeards!

I had a good time at LARS, but had a GREAT time at Walden Speed Shop - some awesome cars there, and FREE ICE CREAM, cold bottled water. I was happy to buy an event shirt from them to show my support and appreciation!

8. VonWegener

VonWegener

I don't get this "size" mentality. I remember when Pleasanton was at 2000 cars and the Street Rod Nationals at 10,000. People went crazy with excitement.
    There are only about 500 good cars in attendance at a such a show - you really want to walk past 95oo crap cars and rub shoulders with mass humanity?
    Less spectators means less vendors selling trinkets to losers. Small numbers mean only the dedicated show up. Not enough roadsters? Do you really need to see 100 more plastic 32 Fords?
    I could not go but from the pics here and on Instagram I see that I would have had a great time.

9. Big, small...whatever as long as it doesn't go away.

Stovebolt, teach'm, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I went back today after going on Friday. For Friday, I expected a low turn out due to people being at work. Today was great as far as I'm concerned.

THE WEATHER WAS GREAT!

There were more sellers in the swap area and more spectators wandering around. I didn't find anything in the swap area that I could use but there was a lot of stuff and I was glad to see that there were no furniture and Chinese made toy sellers. I did notice that there were fewer vendors in bldg. 4. There was a lot but not as many as had been in previous years.

I met and talked with people whom I have never met before and got some good ideas.

The draw backs that I could see was the vendor selling the music. He was playing his music too loud near bldg. 4. He was drowning out the other vendors around him and it made it hard to have a decent conversation with friends and the other vendors. I guess he thought he was at the trashy Chino Auction or something.

The second draw back is the outlandish prices for the fair food. $18 for a 5" hot dog, curly fries and 20 oz. drink. Crappy shit, by the way. They got me this weekend but never again. I'll be bringing my own food and drinks next year.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  11. dln1949

dln1949

I too have been attending the show since it was a one dayer at the Hollywood Bowl, have missed some for family celebrations and an extended vacation in South East Asia. Got my mug at the Great Western the year after the Asia trip and have missed very few since. Did not go last year, let many of my friends convince me it was a slap in the face to roadster owners since the roadsters were the show. So i kicked myself in the butt for a year for not going, not because of al the roadsters i didn't see but because of all the stuff that comes out of the garages that you have never seen or cars you drooled over when we only had Rod n Custom, car Craft, and Hot Rod, but most of all the bat crap crazy hot roders and neat people I have met there over the last 57 years or so. Yep John Buck made some changes and I didn't like them all, and yes Friday was light on swappers and cars, but I'm betting today, (Sat) was packed as all the Sunday folks should be there along with the regular Sat crowd. If you don't go you'll never know what you've missed, make the trip at least once if you can, if you like old cars and and rusty parts, you'll show up again. Shoot, they put screw tops on beer bottles, but i still drink the stuff. Let's get some photos from today posted.

12. 5window

5window

[QUOTE="VonWegener, post: 12610101, member: 98127"
    There are only about 500 good cars in attendance at a such a show - you really want to walk past 95oo crap cars and rub shoulders with mass humanity?
    /QUOTE]
    Yes, I do. You never know where a great idea or a great lead will come from and even if I don't like the car, I can admire the dedication or craftsmanship behind it. Those folks supporting the cars I like-I guess I can support them back. Screw the $20 hotdog,though.

6-bangertim likes this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Don't get me wrong I really look forward to the show every year, it is my favorite so Cal show. But the last couple of years things have really changed:confused: . Being able to drive straight in and pick any shade tree I wanted to park under was a whole new experience....The swap was smaller for sure and the amount of vendors inside was down too as 1/4 of the building was curtained off. I was probably premature with the RIP thing but I suppose after a 3 hour drive home in stop and go traffic and a show that was less than I was accustomed to I felt the need to vent:( If the show goes on next year I will certainly attend.

14. Wouldn't a savvy promoter/business man want to have his event on the two days that have the most possible foot traffic...$$$...Saturday and Sunday? It was always meant to be dad's "get away day" wasn't it? The Fairplex probably has raised the Sunday rent to two arms and a leg. I'm sure there will be changes for next year. Maybe fill the swap meet from front to back with first come first serve so no one is lost out in "left field."

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I walked the entire show, then I walked to the swap meet and walked most of it, then walked back to the show, and I'm no spring chicken. But they did have trams running back and forth all day, for those that wanted a ride.

16. I talked to John Buck personally and he was open to all suggestions. Yes Friday was really low on attendance and I think that was mostly due to folks working on Friday. Saturday was great!! Lots more Roadsters and a hell of a lot more people through the gate. I do think it should go back to Sat - Sun !!

HEMI32 and Pewsplace like this.
  17. I am always amazed to see how quick people are to bad mouth something just because it does not meet their expectations. I went to the very first LARS, and most since. Was it down on attendance, sure. Did I have more fun than I have in years, you bet. So the swap meet was smaller. So the show had less roadsters. Lord knows, I have seen enough roadsters in my life, and walked my share of swap meets. I saw old friends, met some new ones, and had 2 1/2 great days. John isn't giving up. And I will support the show as long as he is willing to make the effort to promote it. You guys need to knock off all this RIP bullshit. It isn't helping.

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Never met John Buck. I wouldn't know him if I was talking to him. I agree with Dean. Knock of the dooms day bullshit. Get involved if it's "so bad" and you think it's going to die. Join the L.A. Roadsters if you can. Take someone with you next year. Make it suit your expectations or what ever.

ANYONE LOSE A KEY CHAIN?

19. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I'm with Dean on this one !

willysguy, Offy 220, HEMI32 and 6 others like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The sky is not falling chicken little!
    I went some years back, bout wore me out looking at deuce roadsters, so I'd say (even if) those numbers were cut in half it still would be a great show.
    It became downright difficult to compose a photo shot without someone walking through so I'd say if the walkins are down that would at least make taking photos easier.

Special Ed likes this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

El Mirage last weekend.....LARS this weekend seems like a good way to spend 10 days in California!

ROCKER77, Blues4U, Stovebolt and 2 others like this.
  22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea...the best thing about going Friday, taking photographs was MUCH easier than past shows because of the lack of people. So yes, that was a good thing.

Advertising... I heard it mentioned on TV, on Thursday, twice, (home all day). I'd imagine it's not cheap, but maybe more than just a one day lead time. Seems most folks have already made their decisions on what to do/where to go by Thursday.

Mike

23. A "bad car show day" is far better than any "good work day". It was a bit weird paying entry on the show side of the tunnel. Maybe I should have parked on the swap side... The walk was long, starting from the tunnel side. I swiftly breezed through the show side, and walked to the swap side gate and worked my way back from there. It was neat to see sellers in the same spots from years before with nobody around them. I bet there was as many sellers as the last couple years, just way spread out. Being that spread made the walking longer, but still fun. I didn't notice many people using the swap area as a camp out this year either. I think that made it look smaller. Wish I had the perfect answer to fix everyone's issues, but the event covers such a large area. It's an new annual ritual for me, so none of the negatives deter me.

24. I sat with Dean for 2 days. We had a great time. Although Friday was pretty much a bust Saturday was great.

deucemac, Hamtown Al and Special Ed like this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sadly my local annual hot rod show is following similar lines, more street machines than hot rods. Don't get me wrong, there are some quality ($$$) builds however it's lost direction and fails to pull the crowds and cars like old days. I haven't attended in years like many others I know and only went in 2017 to help a a friend of a friend set up. The promoters, who've run the event for many years, need to take a long hard look at themselves and at the bigger picture, it's not all about reaping huge financial rewards to the detriment of rodding. For a few years now there hasn't been a good cross section of cars. Rodders themselves are voting with their feet and not attending. Even special interest vehicle parking is limited so there's no show outside the show.

26. This show is still better than a good regular Pomona Swap. Or most anything local to LA. We except the GNRS.
    If you do the math paying a the 80 bucks as a swap seller get you in for two days with two people. Or just brig an old car in with all you drinks food and stuff.

I agree with the guy with the sentimental lowrider music playing too loud across from Hollywood Hotrods. Horribly loud.

We liked it and were cool see less riffraff sellers and too many spectators. And the weather could not have been better.

You have seen the pics in the other threads nice cars, some rare ones and some cool hotrods.
    Going to see a bunch of the same sbc roadster was over years ago, going to see a bunch or cool cars and rare stuff at a swap is what it is about.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    hidez57, 6-bangertim and Special Ed like this.
  27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Difficult to please everyone, I suppose ...
    "Way too many people"
    "Not crowded enough"
    "Too many roadsters"
    "Not enough cars"
    Buncha whiners .... :(

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Last year had some problems and most of us said "let's give Buck a chance at fixing the problems" But unfortunately he chose to create new problems. He urked a lot of the Roadster people who were used to getting in free by charging them full tilt. Lots of the venders did not continue with the show, many swapmeeters did not come and the rods and customs were way down. I looked for friends and only found a few. Changing the days threw some for a loop also, I wonder how many people came on Sun. to find the grounds empty? I say give him another chance because this is one venue I would hate to see discontinue.

29. oldtymehiboy

oldtymehiboy
    from Indiana

I agree with Dean & P-Wood & Flathead Dave. Enough B.S.
    Met John last year.
    Nice fellow.
    He's working hard.
    It will just take some time to get it dialed in.
    Bernie

Jim Bouchard and Hamtown Al like this.
  30. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I had a good time !
    & I took a pick up & trailer full of stuff to the swap meet.
    Came home practically empty, with a wad of cash.