Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods looking for Black old school enamel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.N.D., Feb 17, 2016.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

October of last year (4 months ago!) I went into Tractor Supply for some more single stage Valspar black. (I had been using it for a few years)
    The manager said the Valspar was all confiscated by EPA fags the week previous! (because it contained 'oil'!) It would be replaced with some water based 'enameloid'...

So, be advised, fellow Californians...the Tractor Supply 'oil based Valspar' is gone.
    ...And here in Merced county, they are NOT as 'strict' as they are in L.A., S.F. Bay area, etc.

WE used to be able to go East 20 miles to Mariposa County for lacquer. Wonder if they're still exempt from 'stupid'... I'll have to call. Ready to paint some running gear soon.

2. The new normal?

3. TSC oil Valspar replaced with Majic brand. Now uses a soy based oil.

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Since you're painting a custom framed scoot I would up your game and use a premium finish. Some if not all of the lower price generic blacks are too brown for my taste. I suggest 60's/70's BMW car Avus black in PPG, Glasurit, Sikkens etc. acrylic urethane single stage. GM has some black blacks as well. The cost will be high but you won't need that much. Any of these sprayed over a quality primer/sealer will be spectacular.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. Budget36

Budget36

We lost the Valspar here as well, I think you can still get real paint in Toulumne County.

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi John

Boy thanks for bringing up the color range deal as I forgot about that all together, we would have really been bummed with a brown-black frame

Maybe the ' Black Pigment ' is very costly so they leave a bit out in the tractor paints to keep the cost down ? LOL

We will step up and buy the good stuff for the cool scoot project

Don

7. Enamel paint=instant gratification!

AHotRod likes this.
  8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Check out Interlux Brightside, it is a single stage, non-catalyst, alkyd enamel intended for marine applications and is available at boat-supply places like West Marine. Marine paints are not regulated the same as others, so it still has all that bad ol' stuff in it. It is intended to be "brushed and tipped" so it flows out supper nicely, but can be reduced and sprayed too. I'm using it on my Model A, and it, so far, has worked, and looked great.

AHotRod and gwhite like this.
  9. Ditto. Also check out Kirby boat paint...they're an old company and have a number of vintage colors (if you decide you want to go that route)

AHotRod likes this.
  10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks again guys and I guess part of it depends if we can buy the stuff here in So-Cal, or if it can be shipped in and not be busted by the ' Paint Police ' and hauled off to the slammer

11. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

what about por-15 products I have brushed it on and it flows out smooth .you can also spray it

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The problem with por-15 is that it has no UV protection in it. When used on anything that will get the sun rays it will chalk real bad. Yes it does flow out well you cant see brush marks at all. I used it on the frame for the 42 Chevy I am building, and was amazed at the results. Be careful using it though and on't get it on your skin, it is a bitch to get off. I had a hell of time with what dripped on my arms and wrists.

13. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

What type of respirator would be safe to use with the Majic enamel with reducer and hardener? I was planning to use this for my frame and axles.

14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

It's the isocyanates in the hardener that is the most dangerous. Filter labels state were they should be used. The paint suppliers usually sell respirators.

15. slammed

slammed

16. Clik

Clik

I have already inhaled enough crap in my 62 years and don't need anymore. It looks like the big issue with Iso's and respirators is filter change. I DON'T plan to paint for a living and wonder if I change filters with every paint job can I get away without an air supplied respirator? I've also heard I will have to Vaseline my beard or shave (skeered of razors).

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

So what did you end up using?

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

D.N.D. passed away last year.
    RIP Don.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Dammit ! Every time I hear of losing another hot rod brother I feel like puking.

20. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

go to your local PPG dealer and ask for ALK 200 in gloss black, a quart is enough to do your frame no hardener you can brush it on or spray watch out for over spray. it dries in about 15 minutes to the touch and is fully cured in 24 hours it last like powder coating.