Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Still more 30-30 Duntov...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotDan, Jun 15, 2018.

1. HotDan

HotDan
    from Florida

Hi guys...Welcome the newbie.

Guess I could have responded to a myriad of dead threads on the subject but I'd like to take it in another direction.

I've had a few of these in a number of different configurations and liked 'em all. My first (And learning experience) was in an otherwise stock 283 fuelie I had in a '49 Chevy sedan (My HS car). It didn't take long to learn that induction is tricky with all that overlap and vacuum wipers cease to work as well. Ahh...The days

On to the question or more specifically, query for opinions. I'm currently running a fairly mild 383 roller motor with cast Summit (2.02/1.60) heads and 650 Holly. I'd like to get some of the rumpety-rump exhaust note reminiscent of the 30-30 Duntov without losing (Or maybe even gaining?) any of my ponies. I'm not really too worried about fuel consumption as it's really not too bad currently. Any thoughts?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. chargin03

chargin03

Consult with some of the cam companies.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. AND COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE PAGE>>>We have no idea of who you are,age,where you live,,,

4. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I wish I had a small block with a 30-30 cam in it! A little compression, some good heads, and a free flowing intake, a 650-750 Holley, 4 speed and a 4:10 posi would make for some fun!

5. Just so you know, the profile thing used to be "mandatory" and then @Ryan changed that to "not mandatory" and I think it's now someplace down below "it would nice" to fill out your profile.

Hnstray, INVISIBLEKID and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

On one hand, I second the cam company questioning.
    Note that they will normally direct you toward a slightly smaller or light duty cam than you "think" you want. Just their style of sales. It keeps them safe from irate customers complaining that "you recommended me to, too much cam" problems..!

A second thought, is the 69, Z/28 cam was/is a good sounding mechanical cam, very reminiscent of the 30/30 cam but with a bit more power. Should work well. You didn't mention the car or car weight, but as long as it's less than about 3600lbs, it should work well.

Mike

pitman and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. If you call a cam manufacture they will need a bunch of info to advise. Any of us would need the same info to advise.

Now that rumpity rump sound is a unintended consequence of poor idle quality from an engine built to run at high effort and build power at high RPM. It's actually struggling to stay running however produced a pleasing cadence some equate to power potential and others think is cool and want their car to sound that way. I don't pick a cam based on it's musical lope at idle.

8. HotDan

HotDan
    from Florida

Yeah...Yer right. I should know better. Current cam is a Lunati Bootlegger hydraulic roller. 72cc heads, 9.8 comp, 350 turbo trans, 3:50 rear gear and the car weighs 3730 and yeah, I realize that the 30-30 was a racing cam and worked most efficiently at high rpm, ran so rich idling that you could smell it and was an overall pain to keep adjusted. I had had 'em so I know but...You know...Just miss that sound at idle.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Heavy car, automatic trans, will need a good converter and carb work. If you are only after the sound look at a Mutha Thumper cam. They make them in rollers.
    SPark

WillyKJr likes this.
  10. HotDan

HotDan
    from Florida

Well, I'm from the West where it's considered impolite to ask a man where he's from, where he's been what his name is or even why he's in town. Besides...I ain't figured it out yet...

Frankie47 and studebaker46 like this.
  11. raven

raven

Buy your cam to your need specifications. If all you want the noise, then the thumper cams are good, they even give you some more go power, too. If you want the performance, then get the real deal. Otherwise, the term poser might come into play... :)
    r

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Dan, In my avatar I'm using a Comp Cam XE262H cam, lifters and valve springs in a .060 over 327 300 HP with TRW domed forged pistons, Fuelie 202 heads and a 670 CFM Holley Street Avenger carburetor, headers and Flowaster 40 series mufflers. Never heard a cam sound this bad (in a good way) at idle. Sounds better through the mufflers then a lot of cars with open headers. Not only sounds great at idle it pulls hard through all 4 gears.
    Gary

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  13. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I know a guy that has one in a basically stock 350 Corvette engine in a model A that uses the car for a parts chaser. Lopey idle. This car and engine combination turned over 150 at Bonneville in the old
    days also.
    Email me and I can put you in touch with him. He might sell the cam.

14. What is this supposed engine even in?:confused: Where from Mars are you from?:confused: Does the car, truck, whatever even fit in the pre 1964 year range?:confused: Ask a cam manufacturer!

15. This is rhe HAMB not the west,and we do have a method for dealing with a smart azz tho...

16. That ex262 cam is pretty damn good in smaller displacement engines. I used it in a 307 w305 heads with 10.4:1 compression and it was great. Damn strong running little boat anchor and it sounded great. Used an old school P9 converter

I'd think that cam in a 383 cubic inch engine would yield a very mild mannered mill.

Side note - the 30-30 cam was a special grind in 1955 and super secret for the first stroked small journal 307 and stuffed into what became the first V8 corvette. Duntov saved the profile and years later put the cam out for use.

17. In a stick car that isn't a daily driver. A 30-30 cam or any solid lifter cam is realistic. However if it a daily or automatic get a hyd bump stick. The 30-30 doesn't have a very good low end. Adjusting lifters soon gets tiresome.

pitman likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Not if you adjust the lifters "cold"...... Which is .026"/.026"....
    I learned that years ago and it works!..... ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is a ridiculous reply.......

Ray

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Probably be a little tamer in a 383, but in the small inch application it was designed for, it'll put a smile on your face when it kicks you in the ass right around 4 grand and beyond. :eek::D

21. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Ran the Chevrolet 140 cam years ago. Nice sound, ran well, solid lifters. Not an automatic cam in a 283 but a hundred inches would make a big difference.
    Pete

22. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I believe the 30-30 came out in 1964 in the 365 horse 327. Before that it was the 097-098 Duntov that was set at .012 and .018. I could be wrong. It's just what I remember.

Old wolf likes this.
  23. belair

belair

I'm from Texas ("the west"), and nobody asked you how many acres or head of cattle you own. Put some info in the profile. And welcome to the HAMB. It's always like this. If you're from the west, it ain't no big thing.

24. Comp now sells whats called a 30/30H cam or a true 30/30 cam. the H is a hydraulic version that has the sound and lump of a 30/30 without the solids. I am running this cam in my 68 camaro currently with its original 327 and its been a pretty nice cam and thumps a lot harder than the L79 I had in there before.

25. HotDan

HotDan
    from Florida

Sounds promising. Thanks and thanks to all for your suggestions and the welcome. Much appreciated.

26. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

How do you like the Bootlegger? Despite the cheesy marketing I've heard that's supposed to be a really good running cam.

27. HotDan

HotDan
    from Florida

Actually, I have no issues with it other than the exhaust note. You can tell that it's cammed but it just doesn't have that old time SB "hot rod" sound. It demonstrated a noticeable "seat of the pants" power increase and it's a very good mid-range torquer. It would be a great cam for heavier cars for that reason alone.

Gasoline Junkie likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nothing wrong with revisiting old threads.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/real-duntov-30-30-cam-specs.399506/

Using Rhoads lifters adds a little "tickity tickity" to a hydraulic cam to bring back some of that 30-30 sound and helps mellow it out for automatic cars.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Dan,
    I highly recommend picking up the phone and calling Bullet Cams and they will make you a custom unit that will do what you ask for and more, H.P. , sound, throttle response …. we have them do all our camshafts for the engines we build and they all exceed our and customers expectations. No need to use 50 year old cam in a engine it was not designed for.

http://www.bulletcams.com/

Bowtie Coupe likes this.