Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods info on Waco

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinisterracing, Jun 14, 2018.

1. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

Hi all need some info looking at moving from Bakersfield to Waco is there much of a hotrod kustom drag racing scene or hotrod shops not really thanx Mick

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Drags used to be at Little River Academy. Might still be folks in the area. Austin to the south and Dallas to the north are your best bets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

My wife would love to move to Waco and have Chip and Joanna Gaines build us a fixer upper house.

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Another Bakersfieldian moving to Texas! Hopeful we won't be to far behind! . We were there last year and I looked for car stuff but didn't find much in the Waco area. Then again the Round Up was going on so a lot of people were at that. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Barrelnose pickup likes this.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Waco is a pretty neat town. Lots to see and plenty of stuff in surrounding areas. Just north of Waco is West.. yes, West Texas is in the middle of the state... Lol. You can get some of the best Kolache's you ever ate there. The Dr. Pepper museum is in Waco. Texas Rangers museum (not the baseball team), Camron park is right along the Brazos river and is one of the largest city parks in the USA. Lake Waco has great fishing and boating. And the first suspension bridge ever built west of the Mississippi River spans the Brazos. Plenty of neat old houses.

rjones35, 31hotrodguy and Texas Webb like this.
  6. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

so far sounds like bako lol hotrod stuff here forget it hardly ever see one driving around Famoso a waste the weather is so good here could be going al the time he makes enough money from march meet and hotrod reunion shame willing to travel for drags and hotrod runs as we did in Australia can only give it a go if no good we move again

7. Wouldn't trust that pair.

D.Lee likes this.
  8. Not yours too.:rolleyes:

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Ha ha, because of that show my roadster find keeps becoming the house remodel fund!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Just don't move into a compound....

11. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

Well this is a big help lol don't give a shit about Gaines we are looking at killa property already have priced barn to be build so seems not a lot happens car wise well I can liven it up with the cars we drive every day but overall nice town

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'm just amazed there's really a Dr. Pepper museum. Who knew?

X38 likes this.
  13. mkubacak

mkubacak

Watch out for all the rapists.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

enjoy the weather too

15. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

sorry I asked lol so it's no bloody different to rest of America except Compton ca

16. I can't help but here's something to bump you up hoping for more relevant information.

The very first time I saw Waco Texas in print I pronounced it Whacko for three days truly believing I was saying it correctly. Finally someone corrected me and ended my making a fool of myself. Then all hell broke loose there and all I could say was "I told you"

Check the local CL listings for a taste of vehicles out and about being sold or parted. Might give some insight

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Texas Webb likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If your into y- blocks it’s the town to be in.

Bones

jimmy six likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing about moving to Central Texas if you have kids in school is making sure the place you move to has good schools as some are a bit lacking in some areas.
    You will learn that the real Texas car guys don't bat an eye at driving a couple hundred miles to one day event and driving back after it is over. You will get laughed at if you tell them 75/80 miles is just too far to go to a good little one day event.
    If you are a chicken fried steak fan Georges in Waco has some of the best chicken fried steak you will ever find for sale. Can't say on the barbecue as that seems to change around a lot as to who is good and who is gone.

The dirt track runs from March to September on Friday nights but shuts down when high school foot ball cranks up on Friday nights. Never make fun of football in Texas especially high school football. You won't like the outcome. I was married for two months when I was told I was going to the game on Friday night and not asked if I wanted to go.
    One of my old running buddies Lives in Waco and he is a Hamber even though he seldom posts. He might spot the thread though. He still has the same 34 Dodge coupe he had in the 70's but I am not sure if he is driving it at this time.
    Little River Drag strip is more of a real race track than when I raced there in 1969 and the early 70's. Back then you would be grabbing second gear and see some guy running across the track a hundred yards in front of you to bet on the race with the guy on the other side. http://littleriverdragway.com/

Sounds like you are going to be outside of town a bit, If your kids are in school and go to McGregor and you have one in 5th grade there is a chance you will meet my sister in law in parent teacher conference.

pecker head and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I live outside of West a few miles now. Born and raised in or around Waco. West had a car show recently, 346 cars showed up. Quite a diverse mix. Hamb friendly cars not real strong here but a little bit for every taste. Church of the open Door has a free show once a month with 200 cars not unheard of. Give you something to do while your wife is at the Silos! :rolleyes:

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. My buddy @D.Lee lives in Waco. Has a hotrod shop and a bitchen roadster. IMG_7452.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VF-1, pitman, pecker head and 4 others like this.
  21. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

Ok im 59 kids long gone looking at in Elm Mott so 10 m out Wacko missus dont give a shit about the bloody gaines thing

Attached Files:

22. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

ok the cars I have now so forgot how bloody many I got I just want nice place to live and have some cars in town to make friends and hopefully want to crew must have expercince and will dont mind doing miles for shows or runs so no more gaines shooting cult I know all that shit thanx Mick

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  23. greybeard360

greybeard360

Yup.... Dr. Pepper was originated there. They opened the museum several years ago in the original plant.

Truck64 likes this.
  24. rfraze

rfraze

I used to love the Texas State Rod Run (Lone Star Street Rod Association) yearly at the park mentioned above. Being on the Brazos, with shade, and alongside I-35, it attracted a lot of cars yearly. There are many rod events in the hill country to the south and NSRA still does OKC every year.
    There is a Drag Racing Texas Style facebook page that will give you some input. Texas Motorplex (Waco native Billy Meyers place) is between Waco and Ennis. Houston has the other "superstrip" out toward Baytown. North Star Dragway is north of Denton, just off I-35. There are several strips around, some pretty funky. Prairie Hill and Little River are not far from there. Some day, you have to check out Cedar Creek Dragway.
    There is a GREAT go kart track right by the airport (Heart of Texas Kartway (and Karters).
    You will find about a million places to take a swim in the Brazos.
    Get ready to love the back roads of Texas and being near What a Burger!
    Another must is a Saturday evening at Keller's (Dallas) Northwest Highway. (I'll let you find out why)

o[2].jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    stillrunners likes this.
  25. mkubacak

mkubacak

If you like the climate in Bakersfield, you will not like that area. You would be better served being up on the Caprock. I am a flatlander from the Panhandle, I could not stand the humidity down there. Plus, all the damn trees make me claustrophobic.

SlamIam and Okiektm like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Huh. Do they ever make a "throwback" Pepper, made with cane sugar instead of that corn syrup shit. Most soda tastes like ass now. Don't drink it. I remember being really pissed off on a flight to Korea, they handed out cans of Coke bottled in Singapore and it was the best damn thing I'd tasted in a long time. Who'd a thunk we can't even fucking make Coca-Cola in this country anymore.

Yeah yeah, I know. Lawn. Get off it.

56shoebox likes this.
  27. leon bee

leon bee

Billy Joe Shaver has a song about a Wacko from Waco.

28. greybeard360

greybeard360

Before it was closed, the bottling plant in Dublin bottled Dr. Pepper using sugar. You can get canned stuff at the stores now with sugar.. it is in a funny looking green can with the old 10-2-4 logo on it.

Truck64 likes this.
  29. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

DO NOT MOVE TO WACO!!!!
    The car scene is absolutely horrible, the people are Wacko and the Silos are surrounded by homeless Tweakers on mountain bikes.
    I have to drive AT LEAST 100 miles to go to a car show worth being at and yes like mentioned above, another 100 miles home the same day, it's deadly hot, it's super hard on your rides and everyone is pissed off.
    Ive been daily driving old cars trying like hell to get traditional stuff to catch on for about 7 or 8 years with zero luck.
    I opened my own little pre 67 hot rod shop in Moody (McGregors neighbor town) but I'm starving for work, folks around here don't support it at all.
    So yeah, my advise, stay where you are dude!

McBoots and partssaloon like this.
  30. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

Billy Joe Shaver lives here and sometimes you see him at the liquor store, that's about as cool as it gets, he's a hell of a dude