Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

If it has foam floats they could be fuel logged so they sink and allow the fuel level to be too high an flood.
    I put a junkyard Q Jet on my 69 Vette many years ago and couldn't get it to run right. I remembered my auto shop teacher mentioning foam floats can get logged so I replaced the floats and it ran perfect. I also never hooked up the choke and and didn't have a problem.
    Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Don't Q-jets have an idle tube? I wonder if the engine was parked with fuel in it, and it's just plugged up?

flatford39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

they do. I want to order a rebuild kit before i take the other quadrajet apart, don't wanna have 0 working carbs.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Understand a kit won't (pretty sure) come with the tube. You'll need take it all apart, soak in lacquer thinner (or your favorite brew) and blow all passages out, those that don't blow out need to be forced out...and it can become fun...I've a roll of some small SS wire I use, it's tough and usually get's things pushed through. I also have have to use my small drill bits for my torch tips.

If you don't have a compressor, you could probably get by with a can or two of compressed air.

5. I like QJets quite a bit and always glad to pay to have one made right. Carter used to re-pop them and the price was right, but that was 40 years ago. I've had them on stock cars and they worked well.

6. With the fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump, place a short length of garden hose in the filler neck, wrap a rag tightly around the hose and jam it into the fill pipe further till it will go no more. With your LUNGS, take a deep breath and blow onto the small hose. If there are no restrictions in the main fuel line it will move gas that way. Don't even need a compressor and you just eliminated 90% of the fuel line.

7. Budget36

Budget36

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

One more week of university (finals) and then i’ll be able to get going on it again!

chryslerfan55, Budget36 and AndersF like this.
  9. All the best wishes for your finals. The stuff that matters.

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thank You, and for sure!

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yeah,finals.Even in high school just about the most hated time of the year.Wishing ya the best with them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

School's out for summer!

Unfortunately I'm kind of tied up with some issues with my daily driver right now so the belair is on the back burner until I have more money/time and a reliable car to get to work, but i'll be getting back to it as soon as i can!

13. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Good for you, keeping priorities in order. That’s more than I usually do

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

IMG_7343.JPG so I’m planning on getting a new set of tires in the next week or so and figured i’d shoot the rims in some primer, i don’t plan on keeping these rims, as soon as money permits i was going to get some chrome reverse, but these will do for the meantime, or so i thought. Does this look like it would be unsafe? I’m thinking it’s a crack in which case i’ll have to get a new rim anyway obviously but if it looks usable just until i can afford chrome, i’ll just have new tires mounted on it. What do you guys think?

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scrap it. Having to repair a fender or quarter panel from an exploded wheel / tire will be $$$$. If you survive the ride.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Good to know. Well i guess i just won’t have a matching set of rims. Glad i found it before getting a tire mounted!

Peanut 1959 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

IMG_0479.JPG i’ve got this rim in the trunk, i guess it’s the old spare, would it be okay to use or is it weak? Its not a smoothie unfortunately but cheapest i can find locally for an original matching rim is $75. I could always put 15s on the back, although that would probably look a little funny but the junkyard nearby is full of discarded caprice steelies from the 80s

18. Latigo

Latigo

Have the tire shop check it out. Doubt a shop would have mounted a tire on the other wheel.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  19. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Use whatever wheels you can get that are safe and get on the road.
    If you’re project is anything like mine, once you get driving you’ll find all kinds of other things to fix and spend money on.

Wheels all look the same with hub caps on so don’t worry about rims to start. Get rims and hubcaps and drive it.

On my ‘54 wagon I bought 4 hubcaps for a ‘54 but bought them in 2 pairs of 2 on eB. Much cheaper to buy individually than a set.
    Then I got 4 rims from the wreckers from an 80’s full size ford and 4 new tires from discount tire. If it worked for my ford it will work for your Chevy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

This one wont have hubcaps, i like the steel wheels look

21. I think what the above post meant was to find a good set of wheels and tires cheap, to get car on road, then find what you really want later when it's affordable. As long as they fit and are safe, the caps will disguise where they really came from.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  22. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Exactly,
    Just get on the road you can’t see the wheels when your driving.
    Paint whatever wheels you get all the same colour and no one will notice if they’re not all the same.
    My high-school car had steel rims painted gloss black with a brush and chrome lug nuts.
    Looked great from the back seat;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well for now i have 0 money but still want to work on the car. Pulled it outside and started cleaning up the interior a bit, and was going to get under it and pull the fuel line out to blow it out but it’s too damn hot. I did get a reminder of why i bought this car. All solid metal where it matters. Look at these floors IMG_7394.JPG

24. Nice floors. '55 and '56 cars had 15 inch wheels. The 14'' was new for '57. The overall tire height was the same, but with a taller sidewall for more ''cushion'' in the ride.Unless you are buying vintage style tires, 15s may be better. It's just about impossible to find tall 14'' tires otherwise.

RaginPin3Appl3 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

26. How much are they and will they fit? Cheapest way to go and yes the picture of that crack should scare anyone. Floors do look good

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Your floors look good! Where is this car from? I have 2 California cars and they don't look that good.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. For no $$ you can still do a lot on the car. With my Ford I had stripped the interior out so I could clean, prime and paint the floor pans, which were also perfect. Remove the plastic plugs so you can wash it out. I used Simple Green on mine to get the grunge out. I did a lot on mine in the summers of 2014 and 2015... hot as hell some days. I would work in the early and later parts of the day. If I had to work outside, I set up an umbrella or 2 to provide shade.

29. Those are a good deal if the seller is local. Look for new tires on Tire Rack, the ones for my Ford were $300 for all 4 delivered. I went with Vintique steel wheels, another $300 but I understand your budget issues. Time to scour the 'yards for wheels, look for swap meets and local CL listings.