Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration For the Love of Cars, Thanks Dad...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

For the Love of Cars, Thanks Dad...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

spurgeonforge, HEMI32, Rui and 12 others like this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first thing I caught was he was driving a Studebaker Starliner:) I may sorta be your dad in the sense that my son and are at our best doing a project, no not cars, none of my kids have any interest, but in this case doing projects with wood. Nice story.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You are a lucky Son and he was a lucky Dad

The37Kid likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

5. catdad49

catdad49

Plenty Kool, Thanks for sharing! Hard to ignore that Studie, good taste in cars also.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my dad disappeared off the face of the earth when I was 13. my aunt called 22 years later and said he had died. I was surprised at how little I cared. I was more sad when Lucille Ball died. I envy all you guys with your cool Pop stories.

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been farming and working on stuff with my Dad since I hit the ground. The older I get the more Thankful I am for every moment with him.

Mtn Goat, WillyKJr and dana barlow like this.
  8. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Feel blessed, my old man is a douche and doesn't care about old cars.. the worst of both worlds or every world for that matter.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Guys, my Dad didn't understand why I was always working on an old car. I told him that that was my hobby and his was, "none of my hobbies involved work." You know what, I respected that! He was Still My Dad.

Just Gary and dana barlow like this.
  10. My Dad didn't give a crap about old cars but he gave me an appreciation for music,,he could play ANY instrument that he picked up..His piano sounded like Liberace;;;.I love that old man(my pops)
    Just wish I had taken the music lessons more seriously..

11. I have to thank my father Willard for sharing his 40 plus years of skill and knowledge.
    A man who never let me take short cuts,or got mad or yelled at me as he was teaching me. Even if I was was having a meltdown.
    He taught me to do quality work on every job if it was a multi thousand dollar racecar or just a old winter beater.

My dad building his first racecar-
    [​IMG]
    Finished-
    [​IMG]

Helping me tune-
    [​IMG]

12. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

DUDE (heh heh) I remember that day. I guess I forgot that was your dad in the chase car. My dad wasn't warm and fuzzy either, but I sure did learn from him.

13. dad and i have always done stuff together, and still work on cars. we both drove the same car to high school and recently restored it again. 1570497-2615c838b27ceaaf7a031465e486b899.jpg tray8--66.jpg
    we have since got our own bikes.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

God bless the Dads that helped,my own tryed,lost Dad in 1985, he was a super woodbucher an could make anything out of wood{ was key part of team WW2 Bell XP77=all molded plywood. Not super with nuts an bolts but tryed,at lest on his own stuff. Hated to get his hands drity,but didn't stop me. So Dad gave advise a lot ,not hands on. He did what he could. My Gramps on Moms side was a super mec. an could fix anything,but was too far away mostly. Happy they were both part of all of it !
    A pic of me under the hood of my "Full Custom Henry J". I built "J"very early 1960s after I did 28A.
    Dad hung around when he could with advise. Cleaning his nails I think by the door in this pic. Thanks for all the advise Dad,an letting me keep so much old car stuff hiding behind the house out of site.
    Image-27.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. brjnelson

brjnelson

I owe it all to my Father and his car friends. I learned so much, and after any car project he would ask it I have any questions about what we fixed, and would calmly explain.
    I also learned what not to do when things go bad, I would see the air cleaner go flying by when Dad was swearing, and then something else would go wrong, snowballing into a big mess! I do learn from other peoples mistakes.
    In 1973 we started going to swapmeets together, I was 9, we still go to swaps, he is now 75 and will out live me.
    Thanks Dad, I will see you at Back to the 50's next week.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I miss my dad....everyday.
    Well done Jay.

Silva, dana barlow and catdad49 like this.
  17. Terrible80

Terrible80

Didn't appreciate the way my Dad taught us as kids. But there isn't a time I pick up a tool that I'm not grateful he did. It's how I've made a living one way or another all my life. Construction, junkyards, factories.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

Jeff, my sentiments exactly. Get a little emotional when I think about him. As you age you get more sensitive( at least for me).

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

My Dad has been gone a while now. We were never real close. Maybe because of that I'm trying to be a better father and grandfather.

20. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I miss my Dad as well. He was not the touchy feely type either. He taught me what I know about cars, painting etc. I also learned how to barter from him. I did quite well trading his things for the projects of his I am finishing. Lost him in Nov 2012. 1 project running. Still in progress. Dad's 58 at the cemetery on memorial day. The Dbb is running and driving. 48.jpg 48 uncles.jpg

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  21. chriseakin

chriseakin

My dad wasn't exactly a car guy either, but he could fix almost everything, a welder by trade and when something needed welding, if he could do it with oxy-acetylene, he would fix it (Didn't have any electrical welding stuff at home). Let me make my own mistakes fixing things, helped me build a book shelf though which is still in the family - taught me the measure twice, cut once rule (learned it shoulda been measure three times, cut once!).

dana barlow likes this.
  22. Apickupbefore.jpg rockysabone.jpg My dad rebuilt his 29 tudor in high school....his dad didn't understand cars and never got the knack of driving a model T...too many pedals my dad said.
    My dad helped me rebuild the merc motor in my first car...a 50 ford crestliner but after that he lost interest in old car shit...instead he bought a new 64 Ranchero with the new 260/4 speed. Then he was uninterested in doing anything car related 'till he bought a one year old 78 trans am...it was after I let him drive my 68 4 speed GTO...he scared the shit outta me!
    Then he began buying old 30s for pickups 'till he got enough parts to build a 37 ford with a wooden flatbed...built the chassis himself from box tubing and ran a 289/auto. I was driving a hot rod 57 belair hardtop but he was uninterested....bought his cousin's barn find 30 ford closed cab pic,up and completely restored it. I got it after he died but by the time I got out to Oregon from Omaha it had been stolen...
    I guess you'd say the ol man ran hot and cold through the years...but I loved him]

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lost Dad in 1983, his '31 Roadster hasn't been out since. We did a lot of car hobby stuff together, miss him every day. Bob

bowie likes this.
  24. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Having a Dad that had a hoist, body shop, acetylene tanks, gas pumps, wash bay, and a parts department helped me build my first hot rod 46 years ago. I still use his anvil and it is a prized possession in my shop.
    Thanks Pops.
    MSA MOTORS 1960.jpg

25. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I can relate to your first sentence,my dad was the same way but he was always was around when we needed him and I was always there for him when he needed me, he was not a car guy did not even own a car but he bought me my first car a clean 1965 impala Sliver Blue Metallic it looked like a SS but it wasn't, later sold it an acquired a Black 1971 Nova with factory 3 speed on the floor , also bought a 1972 C20 3/4 ton truck so I could haul his materials and tools, he was a handyman on the side when he was off,he did support my enthusiasm for cars but had to earn my own funds , I lost him 7 years ago and my Mom 8 months earlier

26. topher5150

topher5150

Me and my brother caught the bug from our dad at a very early age. Most of our time together was either spent in the barn "helping" with a car project, at a swap meet hauling old parts, or spend all day driving to go to a street rod show.

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice story about your dad and his involvement. For all of you guys that had a dad that was a great mechanic and hot rodder, kudos to you. Our dad liked cars...one Chevy and 9 Buicks of all kinds, starting with a 41 Buick Fastback Sedan until 1982.

He allowed us to mess around "in" his cars, but stayed away from actually teaching us anything about cars. He did let me steer his 41 and 49 Buicks, for many months until my mom caught on to those great times. Those steering episodes were the daily highlight at 6 and 7 years old. (...along with being responsible for getting the bird droppings and palm balls off of his Buicks)

We were lucky, our dad helped in other ways to support us in just about anything we wanted to do, during our "growing up" years. Bikes, he got us a pair to ride, sports, he got involved... But, baseball...that was his game. He got us to throw correctly, hit the ball evenly, and actually field without too many mishaps that our playground coaches did not know.

Fishing was also his thing.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." I am sure that he had this old proverb in mind when he taught us to fish the correct way and gave us tips. Those countless hours at the rocky coves, foggy beaches, jetties, and deep sea fishing had some value.

Secretly, he was teaching us to fish, but to be aware of the surf and waves... How did he know that we would learn to surf later on in our teens? He was a wise old guy and his indiscreet ways were greatly appreciated by both of us.

Finally, when we were teenagers, he was at every game, home and away, and made sure we had the right equipment for the sport, etc. When we started building the Willys Coupe, he was flabbergasted. He had never seen such a thing before. But, he calmed my mom down about hot rods. He was very supportive, morally, if not monetarily.

Jnaki

In 1960, just before our ending drag racing saga, he pitched in and had the Hilborn Injectors, M&H slicks, and the B&M all on order for us to go to the U.S. Nationals in Detroit. (teenagers on a cross country vacation to Detroit, by ourselves...who would have thought we would get approved?)

Previously, his friend in Los Angeles with ties to Vic Edlebrock, made a deal for the Isky-Gilmer 671 blower drive with an Edlebrock manifold. That was a surprise of all surprises. The new stuff was associated with that connection, too.

Sadly, like all things in nature, his time was up and passed away. His contributions were not in teaching us mechanics or building something with us. We knew he was right there behind us all the way in whatever we were getting involved with at the time. A big thanks from the brothers...
    upload_2018-6-16_3-39-1.png 1936 Chevy sedan in 1939. Then it was the long line of Buicks up to 1982.

P.S. He and my wife got along so well in 1966, that it led up to our wedding, and giving us support in our struggling, early, married life. That wise, family support continued until his passing in 1984.

On another thread/post Feb 8, 2017 post #28
    FAMILY TRADITION... A RERUN OF SORTS...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. longhorizon

longhorizon

My dad was a salesman, not a mechanic. A great salesman but completely clueless with tools. My love of cars came early on, when he'd bring boxes of promotional 'toy cars' back from his overseas trips. I learned about cars and more than a little about life from the excellent mechanics, just hanging around at the shop.
    The most important thing my dad taught me about cars was how to drive them. And that was passed on throughout the family. No one drives an automatic, not my sister, not my wife, nor our children!
    Best 'road trip with dad story'... We were headed from New York to Chicago to pick up a boat. 1972 (important for context). I was driving (age 18) with dad in the co-pilot seat... 125 MPH in the rain west bound on I 80, whipers flapping in the breeze... In between puffs on his cigarette his comment: "Ja, Kai-Maarten, they can put a man on the moon but they still can't make a set of windshield wipers that can stick to the windshield at 120 MPH!"
    Right, Dad!
    How we ever made it back I'll never know. Had to keep it under a hundred with the trailer on back...