Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting a title and registration in mass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Dec 20, 2016.

1. HAVE FUN & BE SAFE

2. I went thru this aboutb 10 years ago. Here is a link to a WIKI I wrote. You are right in thinking that you should get the truck title. I would goven further and get it registered and insured all at the same time. You can register it and will cost very little for insurance when you do antique or YOM plates. I would do antique first. Insure thru Hagerty . Cost me $125/yr.
    Go to your RNV and explain ahead of time and get the forms. You may not need to get the vin checked as you have an old reistration, but you will find out. They want a statement from you stateing where the car has been. Get it notarized.
    Since the car was a GIFT to you - no sales tax. Since your grandad is still here I would bypass the uncle ownership unless he is on the reg from ago. Bill of sale NOTARIZED is good. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let them know it is an incoplete car. REMEMBER the less they know the better.

After you get all the paperwork right and get to a window be sure and distract tyhe women , if you get lucky with banter. Tell a joke or something and go int he am. They sit on that chair all day dealing with massholes and if you can get a laugh outta them they will help. That was my tact and experience. Luck.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_title_a_hot_rod#Massachusetts

Snicklefritz65 likes this.
  3. Duellym

Duellym

Well the states taking there sweet time mailing me my title. It's on its way though.

On a side note, since this thread is about mass I thought this would be the place to ask.
    So I don't know if any of you know this but the sonic in Wilmington has closed, does anyone know if there will still be the occasional car show there, or are they dead along with the establishment?

4. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

There is some great info in this thread, I have a similar case I'm hoping to get some thoughts on...

I have a 1954 F100 that I bought while living in New Hampshire in 1996. I last had it registered in NH in 2000, it's been off the road since.

I now live in MA and am trying to get the truck back on the road.

I have never had a title, but I do still have the handwritten bill of sale, the VIN and the registration from '00.

The bill of sale is not notarized.

Is there anything I need to know (or worry about!) before I walk in to the MASS RMV with only an un-notarized bill of sale and an 18 year old out of state registration and try to get this truck on the street?

I apologize for hijacking an old thread, but there is a lot of good info already laid out here.

Thanks!

CapeCodBob likes this.
  5. mike bowling

mike bowling

If you have the registration with your name on it, you shouldn't even need the bill of sale.

You already OWN the truck, it's been registered, and you moved. You want a clear Mass. title for it, in your name so you can register it HERE in Mass. .
    That should be ALL you have to say.
    KEEP IT SIMPLE!

6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

If the vehicle was ever registered in Mass and then went out of state to a non title state and then comes back to Mass to be registered then you have to get the original title. Don't ask me how I know.

7. Don't know but here are some links to find out for you. http://capecodclassics.org/classic-car-nation/links

Just realized this is an old post. LOL