Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's 1932 3W Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodfab32, Jun 1, 2018.

1. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, very interesting project indeed!

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

TTT, Just to keep this build on front page so you feel like you gotta "produce"!

3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Very, very cool. I'm watching!

4. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Just caught myself ups on this. Awesome build and as said awesome craftsmanship. Love the injection!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This shit is getting serious...

6. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Oh yea.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

I'm going to use an old set of magnesium Halibrand Indy Roadster wheels on the back. These are 16X7 with only 2-1/2 backspace. I've only seen a few like these. They don't have bosses for the weight screws on them. The face looks like the common 16X6 Indy front wheels but offset like a back one. There was some rash on the outer rims and someone had drilled 5 holes and threaded 1/4 screws through from the tire side on both wheels to mount weights. They were also 6 pin on a 5" bolt circle but I want to use lug nuts so they'll be converted to 5 on 5.

A light cut was taken on the front and back faces of the rim and centers true everything up and so when things were welded the opposite side could be used as a reference when remachining.
    IMG_3493.JPG

5 of the six pin holes were drilled and reamed 3/4" to remove the corroded metal in them make them round again. One six pin hole could be reused for the 5 lug pattern. Magnesium bar stock was turned for a good fit and chamfered on both ends to use as plugs. They were welded in on the front and back side. I had never welded magnesium but it did relatively well.
    IMG_3498.JPG

The faces were then milled flat and the 4 new holes drilled and reamed. The rest of the damage was welded next and then cut on the mill. After that the wheels were bead blasted to get a uniform finish. I left all of the dings and marks on the unmachined part of the wheels. I want them to have some character and look real, not look like brand new.
    IMG-3937.JPG

I hit them with scotch bright to get rid of the roughness from blasting them and sanded the machined parts to make them look natural.
    IMG-3940.JPG
    IMG-39395.jpg

I NEED SOME 15x4-1/2 OR 16x5 KIDNEY BEANS FOR THE FRONT IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE SOME ARE AVAILABLE PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. Cool project. I really like your work/machining on the wheels.
    Al.

9. jammer

jammer

Great work , signed up.......

10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Wow. I was impressed with the hilborn setup but the rear wheels, now that’s cool.

Cliff Ramsdell

11. alchemy

alchemy

I have to echo Cliff. The injection work was great, but the resto on those wheels is superb. Do you hire out for fixing old Halibrands now?

brad2v and bowie like this.
  12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I had never welded magnesium but it did relatively well."

Dude, you have big clanking brass cojones. Amazing work so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Well I be, your wheels are extravagant. Great work!

14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

That is some Really. Cool. Shit. All of it.

15. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very impressive! That injection setup is so cool. Look forward to seeing this build take shape.

16. gonzo

gonzo

Wow. Awesome work.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Got pic's of the '36?

18. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Wow!! Awesome job!

20. Bugguts

Bugguts

Wow! You really do nice work!
    The wheel repair/fix was awesome. You made it seem very casual to weld and repair them. I would love to see a video if you do it again.
    Looking forward to more!

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Love the work on the wheels, yes the ARE beautiful to look at. The pair I ran across was purchased through the classifieds here, and will be use on my 8ba '32 chassis. These were already drilled with 5.5 pattern and no wheel weight bosses were drilled. DSC09894.JPG DSC09754.JPG

Just Gary, catdad49, x77matt and 8 others like this.
  22. Fake hemi? Oh man, that broke the yolk. :(

30dodgeboy likes this.
  23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^Not really for me any way, still great craftsmanship^^^^^^
    Owner dictated probably!

24. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes he wanted an LS in it and and ask me to try to make it old. It was a lot of work to try and hide it. Thanks for noticing.

Big duece I've seen your wheels before in other post and are the only other one's I've seen with the same face and offset. For some reason mine don't and never did have the weight bosses like all the other roadster wheels. Someone had just ran screws through them where the bosses would normally be.

25. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front rails will be bobbed and pulled in about 4 inches. The crossmember will be in the stock location. An old Lucky 13 dropped axle will be mounted in front of a Posies rolled and tapered spring. The wheel base will be increased 3" to 109 and the shell will be moved 2" forward.

The crossmember was made from a center that had been removed from another one when it was being modified. 3/16 was used to fabricate the rest of it to give the correct ride height. A spring clamp and tabs were made from 3/8.

IMG_3478.jpg IMG_3483.jpg IMG_3485.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    Just Gary, sko_ford, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad to see a Hot Rod being built, it's way cool !

28. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll try to catch up on the front suspension. The front frame rails were pie cut in 2 places on each rail and pulled in about 2" on each side. Doing it in two places gave the rail a curve instead of a noticeable bend. They were cut off just in front of where the crossmember would end up and notched for spring clearance. The crossmember made earlier was cut to final width and tacked. 39 wishbones were split and the spring perches were cut off. The ends were removed from the tubes so they could be turned over and remounted to put the weld seams on the tubes on the bottom.. They were mocked up and caster was set to 7 deg. at ride height before welding. The flat head allens holding the axle and bones together are temporary. The ends were cleaned up and ground to shape before holes were bored through them. Sleaves were welded in them for stainless shackle mounts to bolt through.
    IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3599.jpg

When the wheels are turned the tie rod moved far enough foreward that it hit the back of the spring mount on the crossmember before turning all of the way. Since I'm using cowl steering I was able to move the tierod back by using the back hole on the right side that a cross steer drag link would normally go. I made the left side the same by adding a piece with a second tapered hole. Reinforcement plates weld over the unused holes and extend back to the new piece added on.
    IMG_4164.jpg

MG shocks are being used. The arms were removed and the splined ends cut off. The ends had bosses welded on the them. The ends were milled, slotted and then drilled for a bolt to go through so they will clamp on the splines in any position. New curved arms were made and welded to the ends while they were clamped on a piece of turned round stock to prevent warpage. Threaded bosses for 3/8 rod ends were added to the ends of the arms. Threaded mounting plates made from 1/2 steel were milled at an angle that put the shock arms in line with the wishbones. Connecting links were made threading 2 female rodends together then welding them so they look like one piece.
    IMG-3701 SMALL.jpg IMG_4151 SMALL.jpg IMG_4147 SMALL.jpg IMG_4162 SMALL.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  29. Great work, thanks for all of the pictures and descriptions. Helps a lot, when I want to start a similar modification.

30. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I am in for the build. I am surprised you did not use torsion bars . Frank