Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucks 29 Roadster Build ---->

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Tuck any updates on the roadster? One of my favorite builds on here....

Tuck likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think he got sucked back Into the ranchero

Outback likes this.
  3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks Man-! @bryanyeskie
    I did not get sucked back into the RANCHero @Tim haha- I just mounted a bumper so it would look better pulling the boat :p

I'm just one man banding it.

My wife left me on a c-130 and is deployed until next week and I have the girls on my own, last week of school etc... its totally nuts. I'll post some progress soon. Plan on taking a small break from the hemi and making the cycle fender brackets and plan to trim the cowl/ make some temp body mounts so I can start getting some of that set in stone. Then its gonna be full dash to make the hemi breathe fire again!

4. Kickass .... house husband!! Thank you, and the wife for her service. Being a military family isn't easy, and I imagine super dad-ding it, has its challenges too. You'll have a great week. So will those kids. So cool !!!

Outback, chryslerfan55, Tuck and 5 others like this.
  5. scoop

scoop

Back to the Fifties?

Tuck, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Good deal dad. Flying C-130 airlines is NOT FUN very loud windy bastards. Tell your wife us veterans appreciate her service and sacrifices. :)

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanking your wife for her service, looking forward to your cycle fender mounting bracket fab work, I'll be running them some day on my Roadster. They were "Traditional" on all Hot Rods back in the day of fender laws. Bob

Stogy, Tuck, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  8. 73RR

73RR

...yeah, I'd not say loud, I'd say deafening without muffs. Always glad to be standing in the door....

Stogy, Outback, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I always look forward to the updates on your projects:)

Stogy, Tuck, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tuck.Thank the Missus for her service for me.Bet you`re about to tear your hair out.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Stogy, chryslerfan55, Tuck and 2 others like this.
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Tell your wife thanks for her service. C-130 are not a joy ride big NOISEY M.F.ers. The last one I was suppose to leave Nam in slid off the PSP runway and in to the river and we road a C-123 out almost as noisy. C-141 were a little better. 545 M.P. Co. Attached to the 1st of the 7th Cav 1965/1966.
    Thanks again Frank

Stogy, Outback, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  12. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Thank you to your wife! Enjoy all the time you can with your kids. I've got a 3 and 5 year old myself both girls and they love the "HOT ROD" cars.

Looking forward to the progress to come!!!

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A big THANK YOU from my wife. I'm pretty proud of her- shes working on advancing to Master Sargent. :) The military has been good to us as a family. They give us our money back at state and national parks, so on trips along with good health coverage and dental... access to all kinds of stuff. The extra money she's earned has always come when we needed it the most.

I survived, momma's home haha :) I love having the girls its end of the school year that is the roughest... you leave this job at night feeling like someone stepped on you. I drove the Ranchero every day she was gone because its Maples favorite car! I'd actually be driving it today too if it weren't for the storms.

@scoop I'm not planning on going this year. Usually we get a tent spot and stay down there but I didn't get one this year and its usually so hot with the girls unless we have a place to go chill out in the campground Its not really worth going... hopefully I can bring the roadster down next year...

I got to the shop for a little while and managed to lift the body on the frame and cleaned up my big mess... I'm going to trim the lip off the cowl and make a flat polished firewall. I plan to tig and fill/mold all the seams too up front just like my original body. This will allow me to move the body forward a couple inches. I plan to fill the wheel wells so the axle placement won't matter as much but the wheel placement in relation to the side/rear of the body will look much better. It'll help to trim the look of the diaper effect- when they're low and the axle is centered there is a bit of overhang, but if you move the body forward it frames the rear wheel better and doesn't look like it has as big of a load in its pants. :)

33046618_2151030018451759_2586167415725359104_n.jpg

14. Beautiful cars tuck!!! I’ve been following all of your builds on Instagram and it’s really neat to see all of this coolness in one shop! I hope I see you at back to the 50’s next year! I can’t go this year either cuz I’m graduating but I’ll be around in 2019 looking for ya there!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I know you have a big smile on your face after dropping the body back down...

Stogy, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Roadster.jpg
    BIG smile :)

Just park your rear in a seat and...

-picture it with the roll bar and the little quarter fenders on the rear slicks... quads and a grill shell full of chrome flutes like the Matador... oh and hedders... some flowing full length that run down under the door. which will be shortened and there will be a small rocker panel. Moulded/trimmed cowl, polished firewall, flush wheel wells, waterfall/vent running through the truck into a mouth full of chrome flutes with backlighting. Fatlucky interior. Windscreen is going to be custom and crank down into the cowl with a crank on the dash like a 37 ford...

17. brad2v

brad2v

I can see it in my head, me likey!!

31chevymike, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Saturday I got some time in the shop.
    Spent some time bolting everything together and then cutting it all apart. Trimmed out the firewall and removed the lip all the way around the front end. I'll add a chrome firewall. I moved the body forward about 2 good inches or better... this removes the saggy diaper look from the back and frames up the wheel with the quarter better. I'll be filling the wheel wells- can't wait to make them disappear!

I made some temp body mounts to do the final adjustments so I can start to make real body mounts! :)

34190661_10216681604422202_3595930728279310336_n.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

This second picture has the grill shell which I've been toiling over. (ignore the broom haha) witchcraft-
    The cowl on this roadster is the original from the one that went though the fire. It still needs some work to get it straight hoping its not going to screw me... The grill shell is a sectioned 32 commercial that I had on my original too- that too was a little wonky from the fire but I think I have it pretty good. For a while, I was itching to just order a repro online. I have an original 32 shell that I'm going to use for the lower instead... it's rusty and smashed on top.

I don't want the grill sitting out in front of the cross member... doing my best to get it in just the right spot.
    IMG_2615.jpg
    I plan to run quads on those polished stands and I don't have a good pic but man they look awesome...(ignore duct tape- key to these is getting them aligned with the axle so the wheel won't hit the buckets... there is plenty of room the duct tape is just sagging... it mimics the drop axle- I just need to get the right 5.5" bottom mount headlight bucket that is nice and round and bulbous and chrome.

This pic... its just sitting on the cross-member in back... 3" lower than in the pics above... but I had to throw a roll bar in there for a preview of what it'll look like with a bar. Its starting to look like a drag car! :)
    IMG_2588.jpg

AHotRod, Outback, ls1yj and 17 others like this.
  19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just looking AWESOME Tuck! Man, your mag is so close to the firewall - hopefully you'll be able to take it out when necessary. Same situation I'll be facing with my mag as well.

Really psyched that you're planning to run quad lights as I plan on as well, just can't reveal how I'm going to do mine...

Stogy, loudbang, bryanyeskie and 2 others like this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yep. Its actually sunk into the firewall a tad.. and that's just the way it is. I won't be able to pull it out. I've done plenty of the walkarounds... standing from 20 feet away and analyzing it both pushed up and pulled back... and it just needs to be forward. I have the same problem with my truck... got the engine in the keyhole and had to push the firewall back into the cowl- it's so close but it'll fit.

This pic is still one that's too low in back- but I quick photoshopped the wheel wells filled and filled the cowl-
    IMG_2594.jpg

21. Looks tits brother!! Just say no to the saggy diaper look, haha!

loudbang, 31chevymike and Tuck like this.
  22. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

D3FBA318-4314-4AE1-9D01-0C4B0B9DC03A.jpeg
    Need to massage out the nose of this deuce grill- shortened 4”- dropped another 4. (-:

23. AmishMike

AmishMike

have to ask - how much front suspension travel? looks pretty tight.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

25. kyotb8

kyotb8

Just wondering, how heavy/many leaves in the spring ? I've got a 330 desoto hemi in my truck, and had to go to the posies "heavy/big block/hemi " spring to keep it from bottoming out ! But bet my truck is heavier than your roadster ! Your's is bitchin !

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The rad ended up getting moved up a half an inch- making sure it’s in the right place started to mock up the hood to make sure it flows right.

My front end doesn’t move much and the bottom of the shell is 3” from the ground. I can always shorten it up later.
    FB395F76-B8A4-4F1E-9B54-BE81689F3714.jpeg
    I plan to make a glass hood- so I’ll start out by making a positive from this old steel hood and mold a lip around the carb tops. Might make a plexi hood but I really want a painted one- maybe a combo of both- like a plexi scoop-? (-;
    7909E604-5A8E-49B4-A7CB-A5147BB06005.jpeg

I figured out what headlight housings I need-! Deitz 9-50 housings! I’m running Lucas SLR lens’s - 814FA9F7-AE2C-4BD8-A671-9FF72E5CE106.png

49BA1E10-251A-4B09-BDE1-FFABEAA8AC38.jpeg
    Brrraaaaap-!

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Your fab work really speaks for itself Tuck - every little detail is coming along so nicely! Love the cut out concept with your hood and those beautiful carbs poking out of it!

Tuck, brad2v, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  28. I really like those lights for some reason??? ( . ) ( . )

chryslerfan55, Tuck, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Lookin good, can you show how you attached the body?
    I'm working on a channeled A roadster and am about to hang the body,
    Would love to see how you are tackling it.