Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race of Gentlemen 2018 Wildwood NJ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Thanks for the pics. I was there all day Saturday and didn't get to see a single race :(. I spent the day trying to rescue my car from the beach after losing my oil pan to a speed bump. The same speed bump they removed right after I hit it.

But to on the bright side, guys were super helpful. One guy "East coast Mike" went way out of his way to help. Really grateful to have my him. (Didn't get a chance to ask if he was on here or not)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

2. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

lots of great pics. Thanks . but where is the flag girl?

Boondoggle likes this.
  3. GimmeAnotherOne

GimmeAnotherOne

Not up to the flag girl yet but how about this one:

IMG_5986.JPG

chop job, brEad, Pete L. and 15 others like this.
  4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the ink is not dry on the 2018 event ,but any hints on next years 2019 dates so perhaps we can book a room for those of us from down under?

5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

6. maybe just call a place up and reserve a room for the 2019 event. They'll know what you're talking about. Worth a shot right?

7. rjones35

rjones35

thanks for sharing!

GimmeAnotherOne likes this.
  8. mike bowling

mike bowling

I don't know wtf jumping sharks are , but the cars outside the actual race ( the show area and on the street) have nothing to do with the actual Race of Gentlemen per se. There were muscle cars , trucks, and everything else around for the weekend ,but not IN the race itself. There is a set cut off date for cars and bikes, no ohv motors, and an attempt to achieve a correct look for the time when these races actually took place at this site. Most of the changes to the format have been implemented to comply with the local police and the N.J. State Police ( who are a lot more strict than the locals) Also to consider is that this was originally held in October when most of the summer crowd was gone. Moving it to June ( and AFTER Memorial Day) has no doubt caused friction with the locals. Mel Stoltz and the Oilers have a year round job making these shows happen, and deserve a ton of credit for making Mel's dream a reality. Unfortunately, things change. After the accidents that took place, I have a feeling the event will become monitored out of existence by the authorities. I first went in October of 2015, and it has changed significantly since then. It still is a show of old iron unlike any other you're likely to see in one place. I applaud Mel and his efforts, and hope those injured have a speedy and full recovery.

Just my .02 on the ROG.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sucks about your car, but happy to hear others stepped up to help. Hope you got home safe.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

THANKS for the pics GOOD JOB :cool: :cool:

GimmeAnotherOne likes this.
  11. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Walls Phaeton in the pits Saturday Morning before the short, but heavy, rain hit.

Attached Files:

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

I met the guy in the green '29 roadster , post #107,( with the BIG c-gar) last year at our hotel. Always had a cigar and a glass of Jack going. He's from Texas, and talked about how much he liked the ROG and that he wanted to build a car race this year. HE DID!

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Sad to see the chain link and concrete barriers, throwd shade on the vintage vibe. I can understand the need with the growth of the event, but I don't hafta like it!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. VonWegener

VonWegener

Sitting here in SoCal looking at all the trog photos it seems that Wildwood is the perfect town for such an event. The organizers kept a pretty tight reign to keep the usual east coast uglyness out but somehow the beach does not seem suited for Speed Trials. When you see the old pics from Daytona they race on the firm compacted still a little moist part between the surf and the loose sand. At trog cars and bikes slog through loose sand and horrible accidents occur.
    Maybe a relocation to a better beach is in order?

chryslerfan55 and seadog like this.
  15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

walls...

Glad you got to be there again, and thanks for the pic of Gene ! I've known Gene for a long, long time and he is fearless !! You may think you know his "real" age...but Gene is still only about 45 and always ready for the next challenge !!!

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Pipes...

Sincere thanks for the superb pix ! Each car there "belongs" there. Maybe next year the weather will cooperate, but knowing that area, and this time of the year, that may just be wishful thinking as past years of the event have proved.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Bowtie Coupe, chryslerfan55 and Pipes like this.
  17. Thanks for sharing all of these pictures!! So many great rides in one spot!!

Bowtie Coupe and Pipes like this.
  18. Those High, straight on photos are fantastic!!!!

Bowtie Coupe, seadog, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  19. This is awesome event coverage and extremely inspirational. I am looking forward to building a TROG inspired car for my next build. Thanks you to all who have contributed to this great coverage and unbelievable event definitely a bucket list event ! Hobo Jim

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. GimmeAnotherOne

GimmeAnotherOne

Thank you sir!

Stogy likes this.

21. No... No... THANK YOU!!!!

Bowtie Coupe, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. That's my concern as well. I think the accidents that happened are going to create a lot of new headaches for Mel, Bobby and the Oilers.
    I haven't been in the past few years, can't make it work for June, but part of the charm of the show in October was the town was filled with guys who really got it. With the crowds I see in the pictures these days, it looks like TROG is a whole different beast now.

shawnsauto1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. The tide looks to have been on the wrong rythim (sp) with the race. When the tide is low Wildwood has a very wide wet sand area. Were they running on dry loose sand?

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Is Bobby Green still associated with this event? I noticed his name was off the entrance sign......?

25. That, I do not know. I just assumed.

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

The race is set up above the high tide mark to get the most time in for racing , and is not in the packed sand further out. Plus, after the hurricanes last year, sand was replaced and isn't as packed as it used to be. The first day some people were getting stuck as soon as they entered the pit area. The bikes were having trouble too because the pace was slow with lot of starting and stopping. They attempted to use a huge bucket loader to re-grade it, but it seemed more cosmetic than anything.

To add to the problem, the pit area was smaller, and seemed to be overfull. They stopped issuing pit passes on Sun.- only drivers and crew allowed in the pit area ( even if you had a pass on Sat.)

Every year people get pissed off and swear they're not coming back, and by fall everyone's talking about "maybe" putting a car together. Might not be an option this year though- I'm glad I got to a race in the fall of 2015 when it wasn't as crowded , and the cops kind of turned a blind eye to the shenanigans going on. Seems like everything that's fun gets popular, turns into a money machine, and self destructs over time.
    Just my .02
    Have a safe summer.

27. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I had a blast! If there is a ROG in Wildwood or anywhere else, I will be there. Massive amounts of fun racing on the beach. So many racecars, hot rods, and customs to look at. The best atmosphere, awesome town, and just shooting the shit with old pals- and some new friends.
    Yes, some folks got a little worked up because of the loose sand, small pit area, and lengthy wait times to run. But. . . There is not another "show" like this.
    If Mel and crew CAN put another race together next year, I WILL be there

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Thanks everyone for all the great pics. I was there but was in hot rod overload and didn’t get to take that many of the racing. There’s quit a few H.A.M.B.ers that we’re there ,was there a place to meet up? I would of liked to of met some of you guys although I’ve followed some of Mike Bowling’s threads and feel I know him like a friend already.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and wheeldog57 like this.
  29. jim snow

jim snow

Well stated. The Asssorted Nuts had a blast. Snowman

30. F&J

F&J

anybody else notice the old time "taffy axle" on that A that was just posted ? It's been a while since I saw one..
    trog race.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 48fordnut like this.