Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Still get goose-bumps when studying the history. It’s interesting to me how do-wop and Kustom culture are tied together, I see Mr Berry was a student of the Music as well as the Cars. Probably still talking Cars & Culture amongst the Saints in Heaven. R.I.P. your home now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sancho, Sancho, Sancho.....how on earth do you find this stuff with the same Google us humans use? :D

3. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Sad update on #114. Hank had the Pontiac out a couple weeks ago and the engine caught fire. No details or pictures to share, but possibility a gas line rupture. The car isn't a total lost, luckily fire was contained to engine compartment and the hood. Just waiting on insurance and he was ok.
    So this is a reminder replace those sections of rubber fuel line you might have regularly and carry a fire extinguisher!

BigO, 54delray, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sorry to hear @Cincinnati Slim. Glad Hank is ok and that the Pontiac can be fixed. I hope this doesn't discourage Mr. Stupprich and he keeps at it. E

5. What Ever Happened To..........? number 118.

1951 Mercury "Brown Sugar"
    Owners: Don and Priscilla Mann
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

This week's custom is one of those Mercurys that would stop you dead in your tracks if you were lucky enough to see it in person. Unfortunately, this is one of the many cars that I've featured that seemed to be around only a short time.
    The Mann's Merc was a beautiful brown color, and it was razor straight. The use of brown was an unusual choice, and for the longest time I thought it was kandy root beer, but according to what I've found the color was called sable brown.
    The car had the usual custom mods, but the one thing that set it apart was the use of a '54 Chrysler Imperial grille. They look great in custom grille openings, but you don't see them too often as they are fairly scarce. One other tell for this car was the front license plate or plaque--which ever it was. It read "Class of '51". This turned out to be important. With the use of the rare Chrysler grille in combination with the super brown paint, you would think this car would be easy to find information on. Wrong (lol)!
    This is one of those cars I've been searching for more photos and information on for quite some time and I just haven't had much luck. My online picture searches came up empty.
    The car was featured in the first KKOA book (1993) on page 31. This is where I found most of the information, otherwise I would have nothing on it. Other than the KKOA book, I found no other pictures or information on it in my magazine and book collection.

Don and Priscilla Mann 51 Merc Brown Sugar.jpg

As far as videos go, I was only able to find it on the 1986 Leadsled Spectacular video shot in Springfield, Missouri. I distinctly remember when I watched the video the first time and saw the car. The brown was so unusual and the bodywork was so straight that the car just jumped off the screen at you. Ever since then I was interested in finding out more on it. I had no luck until I got the first KKOA book a few years ago. The one thing that made me sure the Merc in the '86 video and the KKOA book is the same car is the "Class of '51" front plate.
    There is where my information trail dried up. One video sighting and the article in the book. This is way too nice of a custom to be so anonymous. Hopefully our crew of custom faithful have much more information and some nice color photos to share. What's out there? Hopefully more will show up.
    I couldn't end this week's post without mentioning the Custom Car Revival. I'm sure those of us that can't attend will be anxiously waiting for photo updates as this is a great custom show. Those of you heading out have a safe trip and a great time!
    Until next Tuesday, have fun! E

6. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yeah E, a deep kandy Rootbeer is a color that is unbelievable on a Sunny Day, don’t you think? Quite a sight to behold.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

OG lil E likes this.
  7. manndonald_20160213.jpg
    "Feb. 18, 1933 - Jan. 26, 2016 YUKON Don, a true champion of hard work, perseverance and creative mischief, was born to Sam and Lois Mann in Perkins, Oklahoma. He spent many days in his youth building life-long friendships with his buddies and the town of Perkins may have endured a prank or few given the ingenuity of them all. After graduating from Perkins High School, Don took his talent for concocting plans and his ability for fixing anything to the Seabees division of the U.S. Navy where he proudly served his country during the Korean War. After returning from the service, Don settled into married life with Nancy McLain and they enjoyed raising their two sons, Kyle and Keith, both of whom are a source of much love and pride. Living in Oklahoma City for the majority of his adult life, Don spent many years working with Mack Truck, Kenworth, and Hodges. His passion for cars, especially street rods, inspired him to build a few well-known and highly awarded Customs - a '76 Cadillac Pick Up (his version of a work truck), a '36 Dodge Pick Up and the dearest to his heart, "Brown Sugar", 1951 Mercury. While his passion for cars was great, his passion and love for Priscilla Helm was even greater. They married in 1986 creating a new blended family. Together they shared many special moments cruising the roads, twirling across dance floors, and enjoying the company of good friends. Don was a loyal fan of all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren and easily shared tales of their accomplishments. Don brought love, patience and kindness to his family and friends, all of whom love and miss him dearly. He is survived by his wife, Priscilla Mann, and his children, Kyle & Leana Mann, Keith Mann, Kelly & Jeff Taylor, Scott & Priscilla Helm, 12 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. Recently honored as Elder Emeritus for his long time service at New Hope Christian Church, it is Don's wish that in lieu of flowers any thoughtful donations be made to the Memorial Fund at New Hope Christian Church. A Celebration of Life Service will be held on Thursday, February 18th, 2:00 p.m. at New Hope Christian Church, 12323 S. Pennsylvania, Oklahoma City, OK 73170."

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You know these were devoted car guys when they mention the cars in there obituaries. Keep on cruz`in Don.

9. Don and his Merc at the Perkins, Ok. Car Show 2012:
    dsc_0152.jpg.w560h373.jpg
    dsc_0388.jpg.w560h373.jpg

10. I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but nice work @Sancho! Glad you found a picture of the Merc in color. Such a gorgeous car!

Yet another bitter sweet find. ***sigh*** Another of the custom elders has left us for the pearly gates. Rest in peace Mr. Mann..........E

11. I couldn’t help but notice Memo Ortega’s name on this thread so i thought you might like to see his latest ride. IMG_0063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Oh yeah, I dig Memo's Chevy. He has a series of stories over on Rikster's Custom Car Chronicle. Lots of great reading.
    My favorite so far is article #27 "Memo's Sunday Kruzin". It tells the story of how he and his lovely wife Terry spend Sundays cruising around Los Angeles. I thought I'd share a photo from the article that he took through his chopped windshield right at Whittier Boulevard. Nothing like looking out at the world through a chopped windshield!

CCC-memo-ortega-part-27-01.jpg

Here's a link to the article. It's a great story! E

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/memo-ortega-files/memo-ortega-stories-part-27/

13. chop chevy

chop chevy

number 117.

My name is Paul O'Neill, Christy Massios and I built this 54 Chevy back in the early 1960's. I lived in Lynn, Ma and Christy owned a body shop in Peabody, Ma, he did all the major work which included top chop (3 1/2 inches), removed the B pillar, added the 55 Chrysler taillights (he brought his torches to my house in his custom '50 Merc and did all the welding in my back yard for these taillights) We did the rolled pan in the rear with EMT tubing and the insert with ribbed aluminum from a 59 Ford lower rear quarter panel trim. It had stock 54 headlight rings frenched in, the lower front fenders were canted inward and fitted to a rolled pan. The grille opening was hand formed for 3 '56 Chrysler Windsor grille bars. I installed a 3/4 race Olds engine in 1961.
    The swivel seats came from my 59 Plymouth Sport Fury along with rear seat. The history on this car:
    I bought this 54 Chevy (one fifty) from the original owner ( a Catholic Priest) in 1960, sold it in 1978 to Ray Smith he is Safarinut on the HAMB. Actually I Traded the car for an Avanti AM/FM radio! The car then went thru several owners before Alan Berry of New Hampshire rescued the car in the early 1980's. Alan modified the front end extensively, added the Olds rear window, installed an Olds J2 engine with 6 carbs, added the bumperetts , Ford rear grille, rear fender scoops, and a 63 Impala dash. He then sold it to Dave (Boots) Ripley when he left for California. Boots owned it for several years until his death. I bought it back from his widow a few years back. I am in the process of restoring it back to its original custom configuration of the early 1960's (see the pencil sketch done by my friend David Page in 1961).

14. chop chevy

chop chevy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. That is great @chop chevy! Glad the Chevy made it back into your hands.
    Thanks so much for the history lesson on the car. I'm sure all those that follow this thread appreciate the information too. Good luck on bringing her back! E

16. Wow! @chop chevy
    Thanks for providing the history on it!

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

@chop chevy. -- Great information!

Do you have more pics of the original version to share?

18. chop chevy

chop chevy

image.jpg This is the original sketch by my best friend, Dave Page, it was done in 1961. I hope to return the Chevy to this version, however, the rear fender scoops will remain ( a tribute to Alan Berry). I have added a 54 Pontiac nose which adds 7 inches to the wheelbase and recreated the custom work (rolled pan, canted fenders, Windsor grille, 54 Chevy headlight rims). I grafted the front and center section of a 54 Chevy hood to the Pontiac hood to eliminated the 8 inch wide chrome strip. A stock rear window has been cut down and fitted replacing the Olds 3 piece unit. I really liked the Olds window, but I felt it sat too low in the body and interrupted the beltline chrome. Thanks for all the great comments. It is nice to know that people like my life long project! Paul

19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I would love to follow along as you transform your '54. If you start a build thread (which I hope you will) please share the link here!

rodncustomdreams, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  20. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. What Ever Happened To..........? number 119.

1954 Chevy Bel Air
    Owner: Calvin and Kelley Sampson
    Waterford, Pennsylvania

Those of you that frequent this thread will notice a pattern lately. Most of these customs have been somewhat obscure and pictures and information have been hard to come by. Well, this week's car stays true to that form as there wasn't much information that I could find. Luckily, I was able to find more information on this Chevy than a few of the feature cars from the last few months or so. It also follows the trend of being around only a short time.
    The first time I saw the Sampson's Chevy was in the December '91 issue of Rod & Custom on page 73. There was a great picture of it in their coverage of the 1991 Leadsled Spectacular in Hamilton, Ohio. It was a small picture, but you could still see the car was cool. I wanted to see more of it, but back in those days the magazines or being lucky enough to be at a show where a car was at were the only ways to see these great cars.

Calvin Sampson 54 Chevy e RnC Dec91 p73.jpg

After I'd read that copy of Rod & Custom from cover to cover I kinda forgot about the Chevy for awhile.
    About a year later I got my wish and was able to check out the car in much greater detail. I bought the Winter 1992 issue of Custom Rodder and low and behold, there was the Sampson's Chevy in all of it's pink and black glory on pages 60-63! The car instantly became one of my favorites and still is to this day.
    Most people might say it was chopped just a little too much, but imagine people's reaction to seeing this car cruising down the street. Now that would be fun to watch!
    Back in those days, Custom Rodder did a great job on their feature cars with lots of specs and vital information on the cars they put in the magazine. I went ahead and included all four pages about this car so everyone could see what all was done to this fine sled as well as enjoy the pictures of it.

Calvin Sampson 54 Chevy  a C.R. Win92 p60.jpg

Calvin Sampson 54 Chevy b C.R. Win92 p61.jpg

Calvin Sampson 54 Chevy c C.R. Win92 p62.jpg

Calvin Sampson 54 Chevy d C.R. Win92 p63.jpg

After the two articles mentioned above, I never recall seeing the car in print again.
    Video searching didn't produce a whole lot other than it being on Video Bob Huff's Action Video of the '91 Spectacular from Hamilton. He showed it on there many times, and the car must have been a hit as it was surrounded by on lookers in every shot. I can't say if the car took home any major awards that weekend, but my guess would be it won something.
    That was the only video it was on. I have videos from '92-'94 and the car was nowhere to be found.
    As far as pictures go, I didn't find a single picture of it on any of the usual web sites I search for shots. I thought I'd eventually find something, but that never happened.
    Funny how a car goes from being in national magazine to obscurity in such a short time. Is this "Crushed" Chevy still out running the highways of PA? Did it re-locate to another region and is hiding out? We'll see what comes up.
    Hope everyone out there that made it to the CCR had a great time. Thanks to all who posted pictures for all of us un-lucky ones that couldn't make it to the show. Judging by what I've seen the show was a huge success (as always)! I saw quite a few W.E.H.T. cars and that always makes me feel good. Neat to know that so many of these cool customs are still out there eating up the pavement.
    Speaking of eating up the pavement, have you cruised your sled lately? No? Well get out there and get to it! Summer goes by fast!
    Until next week, cruise on! E

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  23. No idea when this was taken but here it is in purple with New York plates.
    1954-Chevrolet-Purple-fa-sy.jpg

24. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

If you ever run across a video titled “Doo-Wop Rides” I believe there may be a segment on that 54’. Don’t remember but I believe some of it was filmed @ Lead East in the 90’s, in New Jersey. Later Lou

25. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I like it better in Purple.

26. John B

John B

I shall go watch that in a few minutes and report back later.

27. Lou kriger

Lou kriger