Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Been running it for eight years now, solid 10 sec car. Very safe, NHRA certified, passes tech every time and always ready to run. To go any quicker just gets too expensive and time consuming fixing things. Nothing wrong with living life, running a business and having a little fun on the weekend.

2. Exactly! And even more true if you happen to be fortunate enough to have a vintage HotRod to wrench on and take down the road. Have a happy Memorial Day my friend! B&S

chryslerfan55, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  3. old sparks

old sparks

have talked with tom and seen his car. very well built and safe. everyone has their opinion but some of us don't want anything to do with the dog and pony show nhra. i`m running a low 10 sec car and am in that group. I have run much faster until I finally figured out that it was breaking the bank. yes, there are some cars out there that scare the hell out of me but toms is not one of them

chryslerfan55, loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  4. afaulk

afaulk

I've really enjoyed following Carl's build and his cars evolution over the years. He has a vision of what he wants to do and he is making it happen. I took the easier route to go fast and have a home built 185" FED with one of those "belly button engines". New home built 6.0 chassis weighs 1300 lbs + 80 on the nose. 370 cu. in. SBC on alky, 8-71 BDS street blower, driven @ 1-1. It took me a half dozen launches to figure out what the car likes. After getting that sorted out, the 4 passes I've made were 5.02sec, 4.90, 4.80, and 4.75 sec. @ 146 mph with a best 1.08 sixty foot time. This is with a MSD ignition box and distributor, mechanical flat tappet cam, shifting at 6,400 rpm Rev Limit set at 7,400. Plugs look perfect and so far the valve adjustment hasn't moved. With a little more tuning I expect to see some 4.50s. (if my foot is heavy enough) Not sure exactly what that equates to in the quarter but its sub 7.50 and I'm not sure I ever want to run that much MPH. All our little tracks here in the south are 1/8 mile and I know the 4.30 gear will probably need to be changed if I ever go to a 1/4 mile track. So far it's been fun but I'm not sure how much faster I want to go. I'm 66 and would like to live a while longer LOL. Carl if you dont want to me commenting on your thread I understand. Just delete it or let me know and I will. Hope everyone is enjoying a good Memorial Day.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  5. Absolutely no problem afaulk this thread is for those who build em themselves and want to do it their own way........and its for all my buddies who can't get up here to see me as often as I would like, and for the rest "fuck em if they can't take a joke" pretty simple to me..........
    1 (15).jpg

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said, Carl.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Well almost ready for some paint....... Uggg I hate this shit...................didn't I do this 16 years ago..... DSC01814.JPG DSC01815.JPG DSC01816.JPG

8. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Have you found the problem with the Alky Flathead yet Carl ? ;)

KBS

loudbang likes this.
  9. Still waiting for info from Hillborn Kjell, but should know soon...........I hope. Anyway we will fuck with it till we get it right...........I hope.... did get my belts back from re cert.....Uggg that pisses me off.....
    anyway Kjell guess its just old age creeping up on me and this is a whole new learning curve, and Im getting slower as I get older.......(just need to get faster)
    What heat range plugs are you running????
    what elevation are you guys running at ???
    I'm about 120 ft ele.
    what size jets and pills????
    I started with .044 jets and a .080 pill and went to a .099 still no difference
    oh and I got a new toy...... something else to add to the equation......
    20180610_130717.jpg

Oh and chrysler fan, thats my daughter from another mother and father.........

loudbang, Gammz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Is it done yet?o_O

loudbang likes this.
  11. My apologies sir. I had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  12. No problem she got a big kick out of it..........

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I can only imagine what hilborn said when you asked for jetting setups for a blown flathead railjob :D

loudbang likes this.
  14. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Yes Carl, just fuck with it, and be presistant, then it will pay off. Forget about age, hey you are still playing with cars, only big ones ;) funny you ask about the spark plugs, we have upptil now used Chapion C59YC, but I'm thinking of trying the N-series from Champion. Be vare the C 59YC has long reach 3/4", so I have to use a spacer. Where we go racing, the elevation is 139 ft. On my blown (20psi of boost) 290 cid, Hilborn's recomendations where to use 4 x 64A nozzles. Main bypass was set to 4-6 psi with a .070 pill. The leakdown was only about 20% and very hard to adjust. To better controll the amount of fuel on low rpm's we set up the system with a secondary (idle) bypass on the BV. Have the spoole with the hole. @10-15 psi with a .160 pill, (just spacers leaned it out to much when going from WOT to foot off ). With this set-up you will have a low system pressure, according to agood friend, that is how these system are set-up today, as to previous (early days) set-up with higher system pressure. I think these Flatheads with their low CR will allwas be altte tricky to set-up. An Enlish guy raced a flathead with a 4-71 on alky, but with lower boost, stated that he used only 2x64A, so big diffrenses. Hope this could help.

KBS

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Gammz like this.
  15. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

First thread I've read in several years and that rail is sweet. Keep it up!!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Oh Oh .......one project almost done!!! 20180612_172036.jpg 20180612_173941.jpg

17. Glad you enjoyed it it has been a blast for me...................

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Fender looks good!

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

KBS, what makes the leakdown hard to adjust?? When I raced midgets we used the same idle bypass on the barrel valve, main bypass with a pill and then a hi speed bypass as well to control enrichment over 6-7k rpm. the leakdown on the spool was quite sensitive and I was taught to adjust by "flats" of the hex on adjustment rod. instead of turns you used sixths of a turn. I want to say we only had around a 12% leakdown on our motors.

20. not worried about the leakdown as idle is fine and idle circuit works correct, just gotta figure out what is happening when we go off idle and she is flooding the plugs...................

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

what exactly is the point of flooding. if memory serves the barrel valve works up to about 1/4 throttle?

22. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I beleive that part of the problem, setting up a Flathead on Alky is the low compression. When I say hard to adjust, I meen that the BV are very sensitiv. As Carl states, the engine is flooding when going off idle, the problem might be that the engine can't ignite and burn the fuel. The secondary bypass(idle), works to around 20% throttle and I think it will help, not flooding to much fuel.
    Carl, have you tried to lean out more on the main and compensate on the BV?

KBS

23. went as far as i thought on the main from an .080 to a .099 still no help I think 4/ .044 jets are a tad too much for what I have but haven't herd back from Hillborn yet and won't try anything else till I hear back, tired of changing oil........

24. Well at least thats done................
    DSC01822.JPG DSC01823.JPG DSC01824.JPG

OahuEli, grapeboy, 13clicks and 6 others like this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Take the night off, you've earned it.

chryslerfan55, greaser and loudbang like this.
  26. 2 fkn hot to do anything so.....

PD_0052.JPG
    1966-1974
    32 in sac010.jpg duece013.jpg
    36right.jpg engine.jpg 1994- present 3.jpg Dcp_3342.jpg Copy of DSC00106.JPG
    20180518_090318.jpg 20180518_174316net.jpg 20180519_055826.jpg

Anyone notice some kind of demonic possession ect.. going on here???????

27. loudbang

loudbang

You know NITRO is the next logical step right??? :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  28. 97

There is NOTHING logical about Nitro! :eek: , screws up good parts, ruins relationships, destroys careers and credit ratings , a curse on the wallet. BUT it's FUN WHILE IT LASTS :D:D:D:cool: ....I can almost see why junkies do what they do, when I think about- Nitro Fever! Self inflicted , no known cure.